Author Topic: Identify this motor by the vin.  (Read 2568 times)

Offline Speedway73

Identify this motor by the vin.
« on: December 23, 2007, 09:16:49 PM »
Hey guys...can anyone identify this KX500 motor by the vin?? #KX500BE003462

stewart

Re: Identify this motor by the vin.
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2007, 12:10:48 AM »

Offline Speedway73

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2007, 12:15:53 AM »
KIPS ??

stewart

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2007, 12:41:02 AM »
yes it was the first year with kips it was a 2 drum system i had one brand new in 1986

Offline Speedway73

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2007, 12:55:47 AM »
Thank you Stewart. I take that most all internal parts are still available for these motors??

stewart

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2007, 01:35:12 AM »
e bay

Offline don46

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2007, 02:20:12 AM »
Some of the parts have been discontinued, such as the KIPS drums, they are different than the 89-04, the clutch components are different and no longer available.
Live today, for tomorrow may never come

Offline Speedway73

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2007, 07:59:14 AM »
Don46...Thanks for the info. Now...what about interchangeability?? Will newer cylinders fit on the '86 lower end?? Pistons?? Cranks?

Offline don46

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2007, 09:51:56 AM »
The short answer for the cylinder is no it is not interchangeable, the newer cylinders have 3 shafts for the KIPS, however, If I needed a cylinder for an older unit and all I could find was a newer one, I'd build the cases up around the area of the 3rd kips shaft machine it flat and drill the hole. I'd use some devcon aluminum putty, it gets real hard and does a good job of bonding. If you knwo somebody that is a good aluminum welder they could probably build it up but it may warp the cases. The clutches are different than the 88 and newer bikes the crank could be used but is different than the newer ones (new ones use a snap ring to hold the crank gear, older ones used a nut. trannies are different, on the left side case yours uses a caged needle bearing, the newer ones use a ball bearing, they are different sizes so you couldn't retrofit with a ball bearing. the clutch actuation are on your motor uses sleeves rather than neddle bearings on the new ones. The ignition is the same from 86-89 90 uses a bigger flywheel and different ignition.

Thats about all I can think of off the top of my head, if there are specific questions fire away and I'll try to answer them.
Live today, for tomorrow may never come

Offline Speedway73

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2008, 02:14:19 AM »
Thanks Don46...very helpful info. By what info i've gathered,the '86 and '87 engines were basically the same ??

I bought the motor in the pic of my first post to this thread. It's wounded but not dead....yet. It needs a few parts. Bascially the entire clutch EXCEPT the basket....washer,lock washer and nut included.

It needs a few other parts but I figured I'd start out slow. LOL!