Author Topic: klx/kdx vs xr honda  (Read 4575 times)

Big Wheel

klx/kdx vs xr honda
« on: December 23, 2007, 12:20:45 PM »
Hi all,
I have been looking at XR's for my wife to ride.  She is 5'9" and 155 lbs.  Pretty aggressive, but not ramping.  I would like to find a xr600, or at minimum a xr400.  BUt I recently started to look at the KDX and KLX Kawisaki's.  What is everyone's experience with these compared to the xr's?
Thanks,
Mike

By the way, I have never road a big bore 4 stroke other than my buddies 07 450 Kaw.  How does these bikes power compare to that?
Thanks

Offline The Flyin Hawaiian

Re: klx/kdx vs xr honda
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2007, 02:10:06 PM »
What type of riding do you do? The XR600 is close to 300lbs. The weight may be an issue. The KDX200/220 would probably be ideal as would the KLX300. The only issue with the 300 is possible finicky starting. My fiance rides/races enduros on a 04 KX250 2 stroke that has been lowered and has the typical enduro mods done to it. 11oz flywheel, V Force reed cage, Pro Circuit 296 spark arrestor etc. and she has absolutely no problems with it. She originally came off of a 90 XR250 and adapted quickly to the 250 2strokes. What is your wifes riding experiance? What bike would she be coming off of?
A couple of 03 and 04 KXs, a few YZs, 3 PE 400s, a DR and a TS.

Big Wheel

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2007, 02:32:33 PM »
HI,
She has some quad experience and some KTM 300mx-c 2 stroke experience.  Not a whole lot of experience though.  She's quick to adapt however.  At first, I was thinking about an older kx250, but she doesn't like the whole powerband thing.  THis would actually be "her" first bike.  The rest have been shared.  I am looking for a xr600 (or equivelant Kaw), or a KX500.  So obviously these are out for her.  I want to get her a bike that has the power to climb some hills, possibly light duning in the far future. Also alot of field riding, fast trails, and some very light track playing.  I would rather buy a good bike once, and be able to modify for power as the skill increases.  It needs to be somewhat tame at first, she was kindof scared of the KTM and didn't enjoy it much.  I'm thinking four stroker for smooth power, and xr's seem to be the way to go.  HOwever, the only 4 stroke Kaw I know anything about is my buddies new 450.  Fun for me, way to much for her though.  Oh, and a new bike is not in the budget.
Thanks for the help

A bike that runs like a 99 YZ 400 4 stroke would be perfect for her. Easy to ride, easy to control.  I had forgotten I rode that one, another friends bike.  Only I want it in a Kawasaki version. OR Honda as second choice. I've always had Kaws, my son is on the KX60.  I'd like to keep with the same brand if possible.

If anyone knows much about the Kaws that are comparable to the XR's I could use that info too, possibly for myself.  Maybe a kLX 650 for me instead of the xr 600 or KX500?  I like to wheelie in 3rd and 4th gears, and climb some very steep hills.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2007, 02:52:35 PM by Big Wheel »

js

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2007, 04:39:30 PM »
Hard to beat a KDX200 in the woods.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2007, 10:13:05 AM by js »

Offline Paul

• Top Dawg
    • KX Riders
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2007, 04:40:24 PM »
The KDX200 or 220 would be an outstanding bike, maybe a little under powered for big Dune work but it's a light machine that many people find to be about perfect.

Big Wheel

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2007, 05:08:26 PM »
Well, I am 29, been riding since I was about 7.  The fastest dirtbike I've owned was my KTM 300 mxc.  The fastest dirtbike I've ridden is my buddies 450.  It was a blast, but I couldn't afford one.  That is why I'm looking at the KX500, KLX650, or the big XR600.  I know the two latter ones will be a different kind of power, I wish I could ride the 3 to help make a desicion first.
SHe defeniatly does not have 1000 hours of ride time.  More like 100.  How does the KDX differ from the KX?  Say if you have a KDX 250, 300, 400,  how are they different than the KX250?  She will do more than woods, I'd say 1/3 easy track, 1/3 fast field and backroads, 1/3 faster paced trails and hills in the woods.  The dunes would be something I'd just like to do sometime in the future, I'm in Central Ohio, so not to many dunes here!!
I thought it would be neat to get her a big 4 stroke, and get me the KX500, then I'd have both :lol:but of course one would be her's.  I guess I just don't have experience on a bunch of different bikes to know.
Thanks for the input
Mike

Offline Hillclimb#42

• '97 kx 500, '96 kx 250, '99 KTM 380
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2007, 01:47:06 AM »
 Keep her off of the kx 5!!!! She would like 4 stroke, probably because of easier to control power, electric start options, and gas mileage. 2 strokes are quick and sometimes all about hauling a**, where klx's and xr' are all about getting out there and having fun getting from point A to point B. The faster bikes (IMO) are for agressive riders, who have good brake/clutch control and probably stand up alot during pace riding. 4 strokes can accomodate sitting riders that just want to have a good time a little better.
 I really think the k5 is for HP lovers, who would be willing to ride a jet turbine with number plates. If you get her a bike that is too scary fast, it may turn her off to the whole riding deal.

Offline don46

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2007, 02:25:21 AM »
I would do the KDX 200/220, great little trail bike, light weight, easy to start, it would be perfect for her. The hondas you've suggested are good bikes, but as somebody mentioned finicky starting and quite a bit heavier.  Either of the choices you mentioned won't be like your buddies 07 450, not by a long shot.
Live today, for tomorrow may never come

Offline The Flyin Hawaiian

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2007, 02:44:38 AM »
Ive ridden an enduro in Ohio, Macarthur? If your terrain is anything like that area, I would look at the 200/220. If I remember correctly, there was alot of mud, hillclimbs and slick single track. Definetly not big 4 stroke terrain, atleast not for someone just starting out. The great thing about the 200/220, is that they can be modified quite abit to suit the riders increasing skill level. Theyre also cheap. Im picking up a almost new 96 KDX200, 64 miles on the odo and it looks like it, for $900! They were the same from 95-06 with the addition of the 220 in 97 or so. The 220 is torquier but doesnt seem to rev as far. The KDX250 was last made in the early 90s. It wasnt a bad bike, abit heavy, but good power.
A couple of 03 and 04 KXs, a few YZs, 3 PE 400s, a DR and a TS.

Big Wheel

« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2007, 01:16:14 PM »
Thanks guys,
I am looking at a KLX 650 on ebay, is that comparable to the xr 600?  Would this be a ok machine for a somewhat beginner, or much to heavy?  Could a aggressive rider (hills, fast fields, dirt roads, fast trails) such as myself have fun on one of these, or are they just to big and cumbersome for most?

What is the difference between the KDX and the KX?  Other than engine size.  I mean, why a KDX 200/220 instead of a KX250 or 125?  Did Kawasaki make any four stroke bikes around a 400cc (within the past 15 years)? 

thanks

I am about 2 hours from Macarthur, but yes.  Alot of steep hills, muddy trails, easy tracks, and wide open fields.
Some fields we ride in you can wind out 5th gear.  I don't do much motocross, so I don't need a full blown "race" bike.  Just something really fast and lots o power.  I like the kx500, looking for just as much power but easier to ride also.

Offline don46

« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2007, 01:35:24 PM »
klx 650 was a big heavy hard starting bike, I think they had over heating problems as well. I would say they aren't comparable at all to a XR 600, even if they were billed as being a kawi version. Have you thought of a KTM 4t, if your intent on getting a 4t, they have a very good off road bike, several friends have them and love them.

The KDX is just a all around good bike plenty fast, decent suspension, good ergo's and easy starting. I would fear that your girlfriend would leave you if you got her a big 4t and it died on her, she'll love you for the kdx. The newer kx250's are a bit abrupt in stock form, flywheel weight would help some, but in stock trim you have to be a pretty good rider to get along well. I have an 06, I don't like to ride across the street, my son loves it.

Again my vote goes towards the KDX, you can't go wrong.

Live today, for tomorrow may never come

Offline ericac

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2008, 02:54:44 PM »
i know this was a while ago, but what did you wind up getting? or are you still deciding. my vote would also go for the kdx200/220, ive got a 91' and its a good bike