Author Topic: Power delivery of KX verses CR  (Read 18979 times)

Offline Mick

Re: Power delivery of KX verses CR
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2007, 10:25:59 AM »
I let my buddy I grew up ridding with ride it for the first time at the dry lake bed with new tire It was not five minuts before he looped the bike out and he was not even trying to wheelie it. I went for a ride one day after it rained I came out of a sand wash on to a trail there was a loose spot followed by some rock I roled the throttle on the bike broke  loose reved to the moon hooked up when my ass hit the ground my feet were still on the pegs.

:-D that's a funny story!!

Problem is there isn't a powervalve made that can fix stupid.  Bottom line is you'd better be smarter then the average bear to ride a 500 two stroke. Or you'll find yourself on your ass with your feet still on the pegs.

I'm glad your KX puts 70 horses to the ground.  That's a lot more then my KX or CR does at the crank.  But I can d**n sure ride the piss out of them both.  Sounds like you needed a flywheel weight, reed spacer and a 15 tooth on the countershaft.  They also sell 450s for guys who can't control that throttle hand thing.
1989 KX500
2003 Service Honda CR500AF

Offline Hillclimb#42

• '97 kx 500, '96 kx 250, '99 KTM 380
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2007, 12:08:49 PM »
 Easy BDI, everybody at least likes ripping the two wheelers. I can't see the Cr hitting harder with no powervalve and shorter stroke. It has to hit its max r's faster, but it seems that the kx would have higher rev limit. I'm totally guessing about that though.
 I know that the hillclimbers and recreational riders that I know all consider the Cr a more rider friendly bike. It has some pro's like easy to find parts, no powervalve to get carboned, and I always heard a more controlable bottom end and better braking.
 I personally throw all that out, because riding something everyone thinks is too fast to ride kicks ass. Now that the k5 is running awesome and set up like it is,(thanks to alot of you guys) I couldn't trade it straight across for a new 450 and think I got a good deal.
 When the k5 is on, it is the bike to have for brute force power.

Offline CR480R

« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2007, 12:47:34 PM »
I'm sure it is a horrible video It does not support your argument and it shows how abruptly the power can come on. I must be a fool because I did not realize that my cr500 was the only one that honda made that did not have a power valve because that was the only thing wrong with It.

The only thing that video supports is a guy that cannot ride... And while it might not support my argument, it d**n sure doesnt support yours... IMO bogging a bike down to a dead stop with the throttle wicked and pounding the clutch is not an accurate display of power delivery...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvcZfWjUAQ8
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=276Wks3KRDw

I guess KX 500's must be pipey too... lol...    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeGYgM3kovQ
« Last Edit: December 21, 2007, 01:29:46 PM by CR480R »

Offline don46

« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2007, 02:40:53 PM »
I really hate to get into discussion about the CR vs KX, always it's an individual thing, we all tune our bikes differently, mine may run one way and somebody else's may run another. The 86 Honda was a brute, many friends quit riding because of that bike, after 86 there was a continual trend to make them more rider friendly (read detuned), not to say they were dogs, they were'nt 85's.I've ridden both, and in my opinion the cr will not run with a good running KX. As far as chassis go, I think the cr was better than the stock KX, but, you will note the BDI, myself and many others are using different chassis, now they handle like 250's,  additionally I've ridden Service  Honda's, Mine handles much better, maybe I spend more time on suspension.

Again at the end of the day, it comes down to rider preference.

So, all you Honda guys, maybe you need to go where you'll feel the love:  http://cr500riders.com/cgi/yabb/YaBB.pl

This is a KX site, period. sorry for the bluntness but I don't want to continue with the "mines better than yours" .

Lets talk about the good stuff, Stewart, how can I get some more HP, do you want to try my 250 ignition on the dyno?

I sure love my KX500's
Live today, for tomorrow may never come

Offline Mick

« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2007, 06:43:28 PM »
I am a member of CR500riders.  The fact that I also ride a KX is why I come here.  Gotta find someway of making use of a good two stroke motor because a guy wouldn't get squat selling it.  Naturally having one AF I'd like a green one too. But I can't afford to buy another one of AJ's bikes without selling the one I got...which isn't happening.

Interesting thread.  I'm not looking to change anybody's mind,  or get burnt by some green riders.  I love the KX500.  It is the king of horsepower.  But it really isn't good for much but moving sand.  It can punish a sand dune better than anything...It's just that I'm a moderately competitive MXer, and you can't stay up front at the track these days aboard a KX500.  I'm sure those steel perimeter frames do help some.  If only GP riders like Paul Malin thought they were worth a darn maybe Kawasaki would have produced them?

BDI sadly I don't think we're gonna meet at the monkey bars after school.  The sand dunes I ride on are in Southern Idaho or the coast of Oregon.  If that's in your neighborhood then this should be good  :wink:  But I'm gonna take a stab at it and say you are in the South West??  Because that's pretty much all you do right?  Ride sand dunes?
« Last Edit: December 21, 2007, 06:48:20 PM by Mick »
1989 KX500

kieran

« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2007, 09:53:40 PM »
This is cool. Someone just starts a thread labelled KX Vs CR, and everyone just gets to sit back and watch the fur fly!!! :-D :-D :-D
Mint!! :evil:

Offline CR480R

« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2007, 10:26:10 PM »
What the hell are you honda lovers doing here anyway trying to figure out how to make your bikes fast? I think It's kinda cool normally I have to spend a bunch of money and drive all the way to the sand dunes to hurt some cr500 owners feelings but I can do it right here for free. :wink: What sand dunes do you guys go riding at anyway?  I sure would like to go riding with some top riders like yourselves maybe you guys could show me how to use some throttle control.  :-D :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I am here because my next big-bore is going to be a KX500 and I enjoy learning about them... I love green bikes and I already have a couple KX250 powered machines that I am workin on.. And if you think you are hurting anyones feelings by bashing Honda's you are wrong... It doesnt hurt me one bit that you had a bad experience with your CR... I just find it a bit rediculous for you to claim them as unridable and try to back it up with several videos showing nothing but rider error... Thats all... The way you guys describe your KX's makes me want one even more, I almost had one last month but I was a day late coming up with the cash... The time will come...

So, all you Honda guys, maybe you need to go where you'll feel the love:  http://cr500riders.com/cgi/yabb/YaBB.pl

This is a KX site, period. sorry for the bluntness but I don't want to continue with the "mines better than yours" .

Who said anything in this thread about CR's being better? Or even equal? So does having past experience with some CR's that were not back-flipping rider-ejecting unridable POS machines make a person into a honda lover all the sudden? Does someone thinking that the hondas are decent bikes somehow threaten you? Isnt this a CR vs. KX thread? Isnt the nature of a thread like this going to evoke a variety of opinions?
« Last Edit: December 21, 2007, 10:50:23 PM by CR480R »

Offline Hillclimb#42

• '97 kx 500, '96 kx 250, '99 KTM 380
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2007, 04:45:31 AM »
 Its all good. I think they are all pretty close. Kx's, YZ's, Cr's, KTM's, (maybe not RM's), but like Don says it is all about rider preference. Some guys might like to ride a moped thru the woods.
 This thread is all about comparing the two (Kx vs CR) and you have to have some CR experince to even have a comment. That doesn't make you a CR lover or hater. Everyone would have to expect that the Kx gets the thumbs up on this site and will get the thumbs down on the CR 500 site. It would not make alot of sense for guys dicussing kx5 mods to wish they rode a CR. Honestly, I have beat CR's and they have beat me. The same is true about mx's or street, ice circle trak or whatever. Again rider preference.
 The best point that I see so far is again by Don saying that everyone tunes and sets up their suspension differently. They kx's and Cr's design's may not have changed much since the 80's, but there is endless things you can do to set them up. Also you have to figure that rider skill level factors in to the equasion. We are kinda trying to compare apples to oranges, when generalizing like we are, but at least we have something interesting to comment to and read about.
 Thanks for geting this thread going guys, but we might as well debate politics or religion.

Offline Mick

« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2007, 06:06:09 AM »
If you made one aggressive lap on a motocross track on my bike with out winding up in a wheel chair that would make you one bad ass mother.

I suppose I would.  On the other hand I can stay up front all day aboard my CR.  However the KX is quite the dune bike.  Maybe one day we can go head to head on our green machines?  But my 500s are two different bikes, different colors, and seperate purposes.

1989 KX500

stewart

« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2007, 06:37:24 AM »
in  the past25years i have gotten to own and race agianst  sevral cr 500s yz 490 and 465s  and miaco 440 and 490 kx 420s and 500s  etc  ,  all were fun nothing like a big bore 2 stroke,,,but i think the k5 moter has proven the most reliable and able to be modifyed  to all types of ridding ..and i have yet to lose a drag race on one of my k5s  

Offline FuriouSly

• the "Base Camp"
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2007, 08:31:32 AM »
If you made one aggressive lap on a motocross track on my bike with out winding up in a wheel chair that would make you one bad ass mother.

I suppose I would.  On the other hand I can stay up front all day aboard my CR.  However the KX is quite the dune bike.  Maybe one day we can go head to head on our green machines?  But my 500s are two different bikes, different colors, and seperate purposes.

Hehehe.... ahhh turning green with envy and red with anger!  :roll:  Nice bikes bro...  that KX is a bit old for the track though, no wonder your CR feels better.

I am not sure of too many people that ran CR or KX 5's on MX tracks, either in the past or present...  not the arena for these bikes and if they did it was the minority.  Open desert/sand/hill climbing are their forte' it seems to me?? Or am I wrong??

I still am from the belief that the rider still seperates the bikes and the talk....  one of my friends recently schooled me at Dumont Sand Dunes with his '00 YZ250 and me on my '00 KX5.  This was close/tight MX style sand track riding and he is alot smaller/lighter than me... better rider on a smaller bike in its environment = me eating some roost....

Meaning?? If I could get my KX to make 100HP with the trickest powervalve system I should beat him....  don't think so...

KX has a nicer seat and a powervalve  -  CR has a decent seat and no powervalve but better geometry

I'm a better rider than you... he is a better rider than me...  any pro is better than us all...

By the way, I have one of each as well...

Sly

Offline don46

« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2007, 12:18:32 PM »
I
  It's just that I'm a moderately competitive MXer, and you can't stay up front at the track these days aboard a KX500.  

Fact is you really can't stay up front on a perimeter framed 500 either, the new 450's will walk them on the track, doesn't matter whether red or green. You may get the holeshot, and hold on for a few laps, the 500's are to brutal for the track. The only Hondas I own are pit bikes, the rest are all green, they rip.

Offline don46

« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2007, 12:55:19 PM »
     I'm sure those steel perimeter frames do help some.  
An aluminum frame doesn't automatically make you faster, I'm on my fourth generation perimeter framed 500, and I think the 05 250f is one of the sweetest handling bikes.

Here's my Aluminum framed 500, I bet I  have alot less money in mine than you do. to insinuate that your Service Honda 500 is automatically better than the K5's on this site is a bunch of bull sh*t.  Don't get me wrong, you have a nice bike but it's not all that.

Offline CR480R

« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2007, 02:42:00 PM »
Here's my Aluminum framed 500, I bet I  have alot less money in mine than you do.

That has got to be one of the sweetest looking green machines ever... How do the vibes in a AL frame compare to those of a steel framed bike?
« Last Edit: December 22, 2007, 02:43:57 PM by CR480R »

Offline CR480R

« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2007, 03:57:28 PM »
Let me get this strait you can't even afford a used Kx500 and the Kx dirt bikes you have don't even run. So you are just some wanabe Kx rider and your here talking s**t to me :x  Maybe you should concider posting when you have something useful to tell us about.

NO i was not talking s**t... I was simply calling bull s**t on your exagerated statements... I had the money one day too late... I guess living from paycheck to paycheck means I know nothing about bikes? And my KX powered machines are atvs... What do they have to do with my previously owned CR500? or yours? Does bashing my credibility in any way validate your BS posts? Since you are so desparate for something to post, why dont you just start a CR500 bashing thread?
« Last Edit: December 22, 2007, 04:04:50 PM by CR480R »