Author Topic: KX Hubs laced to 17" rims & engine question  (Read 2379 times)

Offline I_Duddits

KX Hubs laced to 17" rims & engine question
« on: November 30, 2007, 02:28:23 PM »
Hey guys, as I'm building a KX500SM.... before I take the sidecutters to my spokes, does anyone wanna sell me a set of KX hubs (that will fit an '86 KX500) laced to 17" rims?

Secondly, who knows what about a decompression system that fits into the plug hole on the head of the hundie? I just bought an '87 KX500 motor with one professionaly installed which was used as a flat tracker.
Do they work? Do they work well? Should I be looking at keeping it?

Thirdly, is the '86 and '87 motors the same, ie: If I have one of each, could I strip them down and use the best parts from each and build a good'n?

Lastly, what does a flywheel weight do? How do I get it done? Do I want it done? What are the downsides?

Cheers

Steve

Offline KX500freak

• KX500 - Have a Wheelie good weekend
Re: KX Hubs laced to 17" rims & engine question
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2007, 09:20:29 PM »
hey steve,

i,m building a k5 sm too
i,ve been posting about it in topic kx500 supermotard

just finished the wheels and now i put slicks on them
also big braking kit fitted for kx

Dutch Team Green 91-94-01 KX500

Offline demographic

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2007, 03:25:28 AM »
Just a thought, somewhere on here theres a picture of a sidecar motocrosser version of the KX 500 engine (could well be in Doordie's gallery) and it has a twin sparkplug setup in its cylinderhead.
Here we go, its a 650 engine...

From this threadhttp://www.kxriders.com/forums/index.php/topic,2037.msg14980.html#msg14980

And your Ebay engine...

and heres one of the big Zabel/Maicos with twin plug and de-compressor and using what looks like a Bing type 54 carb..

From here...http://www.zabel-racing.de/motors.html

Offline demographic

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2007, 03:39:46 AM »
Actually, reading through that Zabel site (when I found the convert to English bit :oops:) they have PVL ignitions for the twin plug setup and what looks to me like a hell of a lot of adjustment, look how much the mounting holes are elongated :-o
http://www.zabel-motor.com/oxid.php/sid/c68b6277ddb3eb97ee577475273cecac/cl/details/cnid/e7044ad1ef2b40e20.11963715/anid/e7044ad23c22ac5a3.01264332/PVL-stator-for-analog-ignition/

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
  • KX500 is Danger4u2 Returning from light speed pic.
    • KXRiders.com
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2007, 04:11:49 AM »
Steve, good to have you on board,  when you add weight to the fly wheel it slows how fast the rpm's spin up.  Your bike will still go the same top speed.  The weight takes the on/off power hit the K5 has and makes it more manageable.  Most people ad the weight for tight trails or wooded riding areas where you have allot of turns and or stop and go riding.  I have one on my K5.  It also makes the bike easier to start.  Here's a pic of my weight.   http://www.kxriders.com/coppermine/displayimage.php?album=89&pos=0
  When looking for wheels the 1997 and up have 3 bearings.  2 on the drive/sprocket side.  You need to make sure it will fit your bike before buying.

Here's a good place to look up parts,  http://www.kawasakipartshouse.com/?gclid=CILPs7nG5I4CFSCTWAod9A30Rg
Look up the part on the 86' motor then look up the same part on the 87' if the numbers are different most likely they won't interchange.  Some times the numbers change but the part doesn't.  But that's rare.

Now for the part where I ask you, a new member a favor.  This site has been up since sometime in 02' or 03' and it's free for the world to join, look at, trade info,  meet new KX riders and have a good time. 
All I ask of you, is to use the search function so we don't repost the same questions over and over.  The flywheel weight is one of those questions.  Sometimes the search just does not give the answer you need.  I did a search on flywheel weight and even this post showed up.  As far as finding wheels, post that in the Wanted section, you'll get more response.
With your help we'll keep this site running smooth.
Thanks,
Danger4u2
« Last Edit: December 01, 2007, 04:13:49 AM by Danger4u2 »
KX 500 Rider

Offline don46

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2007, 11:46:42 AM »
Actually, reading through that Zabel site (when I found the convert to English bit :oops:) they have PVL ignitions for the twin plug setup and what looks to me like a hell of a lot of adjustment, look how much the mounting holes are elongated :-o
http://www.zabel-motor.com/oxid.php/sid/c68b6277ddb3eb97ee577475273cecac/cl/details/cnid/e7044ad1ef2b40e20.11963715/anid/e7044ad23c22ac5a3.01264332/PVL-stator-for-analog-ignition/

Using the PVL ignition the amount of movement in the stator is irrelevant, the rotor does not use a key way so you could theoreticaly advance or retard the timing as much as you want, just pop the rotor and move it. Of course you need to use a timing gauge to find top dead center, then determine what you want for advance or retard, reinstall the rotor. that is actually kind of backwards to how you would set it but the combinations are endless.
Live today, for tomorrow may never come

Offline kx666

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2007, 05:41:35 PM »
now about this 650...who bult this? what exacly has been done? that looks bad as

Desert Panther

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2007, 05:23:27 PM »
Hey guys, as I'm building a KX500SM.... before I take the sidecutters to my spokes, does anyone wanna sell me a set of KX hubs (that will fit an '86 KX500) laced to 17" rims?

Secondly, who knows what about a decompression system that fits into the plug hole on the head of the hundie? I just bought an '87 KX500 motor with one professionaly installed which was used as a flat tracker.
Do they work? Do they work well? Should I be looking at keeping it?

Thirdly, is the '86 and '87 motors the same, ie: If I have one of each, could I strip them down and use the best parts from each and build a good'n?

Lastly, what does a flywheel weight do? How do I get it done? Do I want it done? What are the downsides?

Cheers

Steve

Hey what's up, I am building a KX500 Su-Mo as well. Mine is a 1987 which is very similar to the 86. I'd like to hear about that decompression system, as my lightweight ass has a hard time starting this bike sometimes!  LOL

Offline demographic

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2007, 01:06:32 AM »
now about this 650...who bult this? what exacly has been done? that looks bad as

Dunno mate, the pic was in Doordies gallery so he might know a bit more about it.