Author Topic: rim sizes  (Read 2886 times)

sdkx500

rim sizes
« on: September 11, 2003, 03:04:48 PM »
Ok....here is the deal.  I picked up a used kx wheel complete with hub off ebay for a paddle tire.  The two small dents mentioned in the add ended up being 2 1/2 inch flat spots in rim.  The spokes look good but the rotor is shot.

The question is should I buy a new spoke set and an 18 inch rim or should i just buy a new rim and lace it up.  I would be left with one 18 inch rim and one 19 inch rim.  My paddle tire is a 19".  Do the benefits outweigh the costs?  Anybody have a line on inexspensive excell rear rim?

Thanks in advance.

Offline Paul

• Top Dawg
    • KX Riders
rim sizes
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2003, 03:06:55 PM »
Monkeybutt... I got an excellent deal on my 18" Excel and the bulldog spokes to go with it, I still find it hard to believe Kawi puts a 19" on the desert king.

sdkx500

rim sizes
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2003, 03:11:48 PM »
what d2ifference did you see between the 2?

Offline Paul

• Top Dawg
    • KX Riders
rim sizes
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2003, 03:19:00 PM »
Mostly tire sizes, availability, price. Also with all the rocks in the desert the chances of pinchflats have greatly deminished. The Cheng Shin 5.60X18 with 10 blades is one awesome paddle too :lol:

teamgreen500

The best Desert tires are 18s; However...
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2003, 07:47:59 PM »
I've noticed that the latest "Desert" tires are coming out in 19", which for most folks should be fine. We are all running good H/D tubes....right?

I prefer the 18" set-up for desert racing due to the additional/taller sidewall: It's basically a second suspension and is more forgiving if you are out there in the rocks and square edges of the desert. Also, with good tubes and tire prep you can get away with very low/forgiving tire pressures. I've had NO-FLATS with 695 Deserts and H/D dunlop tubes. Sometimes we run "Slime" in our tubes for insurance (Vegas to Reno).

It seems that the Yong-Guns are learning this, too: The hot set-up on hard-packed rough/square-edged MX tracks is a 20" front and an 18" rear.
Maybe this means that there are more 18s coming?

If you've got a good 19" wheel, keep it. If it's toast and you've got the $: Build an 18" and enjoy the best fo both worlds.

BTW, there's an 18" Kawasaki wheel on some of the early-mid '90s parts listings. It's a KDX200 wheel that bolts right on the K5, if I'm not mistaken... I'll check next week and see if I can get the P/N. As I recall, it was pretty inexpensive. Also, some of my wheels are designated "99 KX250".

Best of luck,

Manny