Author Topic: Grey Trans Oil?  (Read 2334 times)

Offline stock500

Grey Trans Oil?
« on: November 20, 2007, 12:12:39 PM »
I changed my transmition oil on my new bike for the first time on Saturday.  The oil was a milky grey color.  I thought is was from just being old.  Today I changed it again, and the brand new oil was milky grey again.  I was wondering if this was normal or do I have a problem? :?
It's all in the wrist!  Save a tire, shift early!

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
  • KX500 is Danger4u2 Returning from light speed pic.
    • KXRiders.com
Re: Grey Trans Oil?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2007, 12:54:33 PM »
It's from the clutch, I change my oil every 2 to 5 hours, depending on the dust conditions where I'm riding.  I have a hour meter on my bike.
KX 500 Rider

Offline FuriouSly

• the "Base Camp"
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2007, 02:15:32 PM »
Brand new bike like "never used" brand new?  First oil change "as in ever" for this bike?  What oil are you using.  Yes the oil will come out with some aluminum grey colored swirling in the oil like metal flake/pearl in paint.  Especially if you have aluminum clutch plates in the clutch pack.  Try and change the oil more often.  Use an oil that you can tell the difference by sight when it changes color with contaminants so as to ease in the ability to guess intervals for changes.

I personally change my oil every trip out (5 hours of hard riding).  I put hard time on the bike at the dunes which in my opinion is double the wear of trail riding.

Sly

Offline stock500

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2007, 02:37:54 PM »
The first oil change was long over due as the previous owner didn't do it.  I put Amsoil in in on saturday, but just changed it to Pro Honda trans fluid today.  It sounds normal, so I will just keep my oil fresh.  Thanks for the input guys! :-D

stewart

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2007, 03:32:14 PM »
buy a clutch kit with steels in it after market and it will stop the gray oil changes thats the alumiun from the stock plates and i would not want it in my bearings

Offline FuriouSly

• the "Base Camp"
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2007, 02:07:40 AM »
buy a clutch kit with steels in it after market and it will stop the gray oil changes thats the alumiun from the stock plates and i would not want it in my bearings....stewart

I put Amsoil in in on saturday....stock500
Yikes!!! Synthetic Amsoil???  I would definately look into a new clutch kit if you did.  EBC or Barnett, carbon fiber or kevlar with steel plates..... about $80-$120 and you might need the case gasket too.  Big difference in clutch over stock, especially if those friction discs are saturated with 3 or 4 types of oil.....

changed it to Pro Honda trans fluid ...stock500

This type of Honda oil??  Only oil that goes in all my two-strokes.

Sly

Offline stock500

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2007, 03:25:24 AM »
That is the oil I put in my bike Sly.  I am new to the 2- stoke world, and I have been told by lots of people that the pro honda is one of the best.  Many people think it is the best.  I rode it around last night with the new oil and it shifts much smoother.  I will keep an eye on my clutch.  Thanks for the input everybody.

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2007, 07:30:03 AM »
Also keep an eye out that you are not getting coolant leakage.  Dark grey is aluminum clutch residue but it generally does not stay mixed completely in the old oil and shows up as threads of grey/silver particles as the oil drains.  Full milky geyish white is usually coolant contamination.  My rule of thumb is that if you can plainly see it in the oil level window then it is coolant. Hope this helps. Cam.