Author Topic: glamis+k5=problems  (Read 2608 times)

medic500

glamis+k5=problems
« on: November 06, 2007, 01:16:50 PM »
Well this last weekend I got to take my 2004 k5 to glamis for the first time and things dident go so well. I have a fmf dez pipe, sleeved cylender, and i was runnig 91 shell gas with klotz at 40:1, oh and a top end with less than 5 hours on it. anyway on the first ride the bike started running well for the first few min, then it started to ping and knock really bad for a while, at one point my radiators boiled over and i shut the bike down. when i tried to start it back up i had no compresion, the kickstarter just went through stroke. so at this point i think i fu*ked, iam 5 miles out in the dunes, so we tried to start it for a while and nothing, so we had a rinho and tried to tow it, that sucks. we tried to start it again and it started!! the guy who got it started just started hauling ass back to camp, it made it. back at camp the bike regainged its compresion? my friends are saying the rings might have stuck or melted, also they said the pinging and knocking could be stoped by running high octane fuel, so looks like iam getting a new top end. any ideas?

Offline kaw rider

• Cool your engine with water not fuel
Re: glamis+k5=problems
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2007, 02:45:39 PM »
I would say pull the top end and post pictures them. Then the kxriders.com guys can help you find out what went would.

PsychoticDeadGuy

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2007, 03:53:04 PM »
Sounds like what my K5 did, I was racing a built '06 YFZ450 quad up drag hill at Sand Mountain, my bike is an '86 and its stock, I was winning, and about 3/4 of the way up it started pinging and all of a sudden died, completely lost compression, got it back to camp, and once it cooled down it got a little bit of compression and it thought about firing, but it wouldnt...I actually melted the ring into the piston! So, look at that as well!

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2007, 04:30:45 AM »
Most guys rejet to run in sand dunes.  The sand poses a huge load to the engine so the mainjet must be made richer. Otherwise the bike runs too lean, pings, and then explodes or melts.  There is lots of sand jetting info here if you search. Hope this helps. Cam.

Offline Good

• Yo.
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2007, 08:48:31 AM »
I'm jetted for low elevations like the dunes but I rode up to around 5000ft the other day and she was acting and sounding bad.  I'm thinking it's a lean issue.