Author Topic: X-ring VS. O-ring chain  (Read 4326 times)

Offline stock500

X-ring VS. O-ring chain
« on: October 29, 2007, 01:37:02 PM »
I just bought an 04 Kx500, and the chain and sprockets need to be replaced.  I have been looking at kits and I keep seeing x-ring chain.  What is the differance between an X-ring chain and an O-ring chain.  I know the O-ring will work on my bike, but will an X-ring?  I know nothing about the X-ring.  Any input would be helpful.
It's all in the wrist!  Save a tire, shift early!

Offline fullbore55

Re: X-ring VS. O-ring chain
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2007, 03:45:04 PM »
I just purchased an X-ring chain with sprockets for my KX500.  I never heard of an X-ring chain, myself, until I looked into these premium chains.  The X-ring is an improvement over the O-ring in that the seal is better.  If you take a standard O-ring and slice it, the profile looks like an "O".  The new X-ring, is a special O-ring in that its profile looks like an "X".  This gives a double surface to seal.  Kinda like the double and triple edge wiper technology.

Offline MadKaw

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2007, 02:59:45 AM »
it will work on your bike fine. the x-ring is in the link the same place the o-ring is, its just supposed to keep the inner lubrication between the pins and the link in plac e a little better
Deviate from the Norm!
Father!...The sleeper has Awaken!!!

2001 Harley Sportster xlh1200
'73 Suzuki GT550
'75 Suzuki GT550
'74 Kawasaki Z1 900
'79 Yamaha GT80
'93 KX500*******
'84 Yamaha Riva 180z scooter
08 Q-link Pegasus scooter first new rid

Offline stock500

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2007, 03:26:43 AM »
Thanks for the information!!
It's all in the wrist!  Save a tire, shift early!

Offline FactoryPhil

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2007, 01:35:39 PM »
I just bought one of D.I.D.'s new T-ring chains. It is supposed to have all the benefits of O and X ring chains but as narrow as a standard non sealed chain. This can sometimes be an issue as some of the wider O-ring chains can rub the case on the inside of the drive sprocket.

http://www.didchain.com/offroad.htm
It's not if you crash ...it's when
I'm on IRC efnet #mp3addics-chat Mechanos or MechServ

Offline kx666

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2007, 05:49:47 PM »
x-ring chains work great if you are worried about service life...

i have always like the renthal non o-ring chain  :wink:

Offline Johnniespeed

• The Thrill of Speed overcomes the fear of Death.
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2007, 08:39:44 AM »
  My 04 KX 500 has had a DID Xring chain on it from day one. The new original chain ended up on a friends IT200.  As stated earlier, the x-ring is simply an improved o-ring. It does not hit the case or interfere in any way.  If I were racing, I would use a non o-ring chain for the reduced weight and reduced flex friction. But I am a trail rider who hates to adjust my chain.  I replaced the x-ring chain this year after putting over three hundred gallons of riding time on the first chain.  John
Spring is here and the Mighty 500 wants to ride.
 2004 KX500 E16
 Michigan has the best groomed and mapped trail system, check out the Cycle Conservation Club of Michigan trail maps.