Author Topic: Kill Switch Help  (Read 1507 times)

Offline stock500

Kill Switch Help
« on: October 29, 2007, 10:20:53 AM »
My kill switch is not working on the 2004 500 I just bought.  I am going to pull it apart and see if it is the switch. If if is not the switch what should I do.  I really don't want to tear into the ignition cover.
It's all in the wrist!  Save a tire, shift early!

Offline cyclepsych0

Re: Kill Switch Help
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2007, 12:57:25 PM »
 Make sure it has a good tight ground on the frame. All a kill switch does is complete the path for the ignition to ground itself to stop the spark. You should have continuity from one wire end to the other only when the switch is depressed. It will be on open line when not depressed. If you don't have these results, then it sounds like a bad switch. Moose racing makes replica Kawasaki kill switches for under $20.00.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2007, 12:58:56 PM by cyclepsych0 »

Offline stock500

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2007, 01:42:22 PM »
Thanks for the information.  So it is much more common for the switch to go bad rather than something in the ignition cover?

Offline demographic

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2007, 05:18:53 AM »
Theres nothing to killswitches, all they do is ground the current.

If theres a break in the cable running to it they can fail though and sometimes the switch can fail but its about the simplest curcuit on any motorbike so you won't have any bother working it out.

You can get patern ones really cheap also.

Offline stock500

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2007, 10:47:20 AM »
If it is the wire and not the switch, is it hard to change the wire in the ingnition cover or can you just take off the ignition cap and replace the wires without having to mess with any ignition stuff?