Author Topic: Lighting Again...  (Read 8116 times)

Offline BigGreenMachine

Lighting Again...
« on: October 28, 2007, 12:53:46 PM »
Moose makes a lighting coil and dual sport wiring harness. Seems as if it works by putting a single ignition coil on the stator plate and a lighting coil in place of the second stator coil. That means stock flywheel will work. Here are the part numbers and prices out of the Dennis Kirk catalogue. The wiring harness makes life easy so you can hook up a brakelight and headlight.

Lighting coil pn # 20-1303  $69.95
Ignition coil pn # 20-1734  $59.95

Dual Sport Wiring Harness pn # 21-1025  $77.95

Anyone try this stuff yet????

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
  • KX500 is Danger4u2 Returning from light speed pic.
    • KXRiders.com
Re: Lighting Again...
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2007, 03:47:52 AM »
I went with the E-line coil and yes it cost allot of money.  It is independent of the bikes wiring system.  If it messes up the bike will still run.   http://www.kxriders.com/forums/index.php/topic,3660.new.html#new
KX 500 Rider

Desert Panther

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2007, 08:03:46 PM »
Moose makes a lighting coil and dual sport wiring harness. Seems as if it works by putting a single ignition coil on the stator plate and a lighting coil in place of the second stator coil. That means stock flywheel will work. Here are the part numbers and prices out of the Dennis Kirk catalogue. The wiring harness makes life easy so you can hook up a brakelight and headlight.

Lighting coil pn # 20-1303  $69.95
Ignition coil pn # 20-1734  $59.95

Dual Sport Wiring Harness pn # 21-1025  $77.95

Anyone try this stuff yet????

No, but i am now officially interested!!!!   Hella lot more affordable than E-lines 440 bucks!

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
  • KX500 is Danger4u2 Returning from light speed pic.
    • KXRiders.com
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2007, 01:27:01 AM »
The Moose coils will work if you just want a light on the trail.  I'll be full blown street legal.  The Moose coils won't power all that I will be running.  First off the E-Line coil will keep the battery charged.  If you don't have a battery your lights go dim at idle.  You need to add up the watts of the items you will be running and make sure the coil puts out enough.  I'll be running battery, head light, blinkers, stop light, tag light, horn, back lit speedo with indicator lights, GPS, 12 volt port for charging phones, and hand grip heaters.  Man, after listing all of that stuff, sounds like I should add running water.  And for 440 bucks they just let you look at the coil.  Cost of the E-Line is $459. plus shipping.  Let us know how you like the Moose coil.
KX 500 Rider

Desert Panther

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2007, 06:54:15 PM »
would it be possible to wire that Moose system to charge a very small battery while the engine is running? Like a Yuasa YTX-4 series for the 250 Ninja. I could add a Battery Tender harness to it, and just charge it every night when i get home to make up for the deficit. I am just trying the cheap way first, to see how much i will be using this bike. If i end up riding it more than my other bikes, I'll re-think the E line kit and the fancy instruments. For now, even a KDX quality headlight and tail light will get me the MVD registration. I can work out all the other details later, and fine tune it to my needs.

I really love having this forum to use as a resource for this project! I've learned a lot already.  But still have a long way to go..... LOL

Offline BDI

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2007, 06:41:02 AM »
I have this Idea that I have been concidering for awhile. There is a company called http://www.terraluxcorp.com/products/index.php that makes super bright LEDs for flash lights. They have some that they say are 200 lumins and they have their own reflector built on. I plan on putting two of these in some small lazer star lights that I have and running them off of a moose coil. If it works I will have 400 lumins of light out put with a low voltage system. One thing to consider for you guys using the E-line set up you can still run the moose coil on the stator plate to run something else. I used my E-line to run the head lights and the moose coil to run a lighted whip. I even considered running the moose coil in series with the E-line to increas out put. I think this would work, it would just be like adding more coils to the E-line but I never had the curage to try It. It would suck to burn up all that money. You could have two separate systems use the moose coil to run all the blinkers and tail light and the E-line for the head light you could even have a swicth that would shut off the moose coil and leave the head light on for ticket avoidance maneuvering at night. :evil:
« Last Edit: December 08, 2007, 07:25:03 AM by BDI »
Smoke every cigarette like It's your last and ride like you stole something!!!

Desert Panther

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2007, 01:55:50 PM »
BDI, i like the way you think!  :-D

How much real world output do you think the moose lighting coil makes? I am needing this info to choose the proper headlight. Will a 35 watt work?  Or am i dreaming? Can the moose coils be doubled up, like run two of them on the same stator plate? I am not super familiar with the mechanics and space requirements. I know, i know, i should just pony up the money for a E-line, but LOL i am cheap! I thought about running white LED headlamps, but i doubt they will win me any fans with the local LEO's. So for right now I am just putting some generic lil plastic crap thing i got on ebay for 23 bucks. If i run that and LED taillamps, will the moose stator kit flux capacitor work? Or will I need the 14 jigawatts generated by the E-Line kit?

I have a dual lamp headlight off a sportbike, that i am planning on grafting onto the KX after i get my MVD certificate and license plate. I will need the headlight upgrade for night time strafing runs through the mountainsides and backroads. I think it holds two 55/75 watt bulbs. no frikkin way without the E-Line kit, eh???  LOL   go easy on me

Offline demographic

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2007, 02:10:54 AM »
If that Moose coil is anything like the Electrex one I have fitted its about as much use as a chocolate fireguard :-(
I too have been considering changing to the super bright LED things or maybe even the HID units as they seem to be avaliable on Ebay a lot these days.

Some of the HID units even have a dipped beam facility which pulls the "bulb" back slightly in the reflector using a small solenoid.

Those are stated at requiring about 35 watts and I already have LED bulbs in my tail light, like this...

I have LED indicators as well, so my power requirements are not big but I detest crap front lights, I ride on thr road and need to see where I am going properly, my current setup is woefully inadequate and I never seem to have the money for the Eline setup.

Offline BDI

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2007, 04:10:18 AM »
I'm just looking to put some get you back to camp head lights on my K5. The kind of led you are showing is joke they might be bright and hurt your eyes to look at but they don't project light worth a crap. I have a single terralux led in My AA mini mag that is rated at 100 lumins It way out performs My big mag light with four C cell battereis.These are the type of LEDs that they use In the high end tactical lights Like the $180.00 surefire they are nothing like the LED flash lights with multiple LEDs like you can buy at 7-eleven for $10.00. If what I want to do works like I think it will it should be like haveing four big mag lights straped to the front of my bike only brighter with a white light instead of a dull brown light.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2007, 05:03:40 AM by BDI »

Desert Panther

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2007, 06:34:14 AM »
Well Hell BDI, git to work inventin' and fabricating all this neat stuff so as i can start applying it to my project bike!   :-D 

BTW, speaking of my project bike, LOL, anybody know of a bigger-than-stock sized fuel tank to fit the 1987 KX5? I cannot find one new or used anywhere, even on Fleabay. I think the stock sized tank will be woefully inadequate.

Offline demographic

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2007, 06:36:15 AM »
I'm just looking to put some get you back to camp head lights on my K5. The kind of led you are showing is joke they might be bright and hurt your eyes to look at but they don't project light worth a crap. I have a single terralux led in My AA mini mag that is rated at 100 lumins It way out performs My big mag light with four C cell battereis.These are the type of LEDs that they use In the high end tactical lights Like the $180.00 surefire they are nothing like the LED flash lights with multiple LEDs like you can buy at 7-eleven for $10.00. If what I want to do works like I think it will it should be like haveing four big mag lights straped to the front of my bike only brighter with a white light instead of a dull brown light.

That's a tail light mate.
If you read my post you will notice that I pointed that out :wink:

js

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2007, 06:53:48 AM »
If you just want a trail riding light try a niterider. I use the helmet mount  with my weak kx headlight. if your in tight woods riding at night at low speeds the light is dim and if you tap your brakes it is exciting. so the headlamp give me all the light I need. I think it will light for 8 hrs http://www.niterideroffroad.com/hm.shtml

Offline BDI

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2007, 08:20:27 AM »

That's a tail light mate.
If you read my post you will notice that I pointed that out :wink:

I realize that, I just didn't think that other people would. When you say LED that's what peopl assume you are talking about I was just trying to make clear what type of LED I want to use. I'm not trying to put you down in any way. I have what the wife calls an LED fetish I went on a mission to learn everything I could about LEDs.I love the little guys my christmas lights are even LED. What I have learned is LEDs are not really up to the task of a head light yet but I think they will be soon. There is some really cool stuff coming out silicon vally in the way of semiconductors and in the next couple of years we just might have are LED head lights. By the way I have Hid on my offroad bike and it is the best head light set up I have ever had and I Have run the head light guantlet more then once.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2007, 08:29:42 AM by BDI »

Offline kx666

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2007, 04:28:51 PM »
abuddy of mine showed me his surefire LED light he said it put out 500 lumen's... or somthing crazy. i could not beleve how much light an led can put out! 

Desert Panther

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2007, 09:08:31 AM »
talked to a Fleabay vendor today who sells the Diablo HID kit for dual sporting a bike. He said the KX definitely needs a E-line stator to run it. Dunno if he was speaking out of practical know-how, or "heard it from a friend".

So, any idea of the Moose set-up's charging output?