Author Topic: I broke my kickstarter, where to buy new one?  (Read 2991 times)

4x4max

I broke my kickstarter, where to buy new one?
« on: October 13, 2007, 11:18:56 AM »
Hey guys, so this weekend was the first day trail riding my 93kx500, actually it was my first day riding the bike other than in my neighborhood. Funny thing happened, about 20 minutes into riding, i was kicking the bike since i stalled it, and the kickstarter just broke. The circle part that rotates straight up snapped. So the rest of the friday, and today, i had to pop start the bike...let me tell you how fun that is on a first day riding a 500!

So my question is, can i buy a kickstarter from a kx250 or 125? If so, where do i buy these parts? I know ebay doesnt have any kx500 kickstarters at the moment, and i need something strong by next weekend!

Another thing, my jetting is REALLY messed up, the bike runs extremely rough before it hits the powerband...then it takes off...im assuming its wrong jetting, i'll search around some threads and play around with jets, but what is a good 'baseline' setting to start with, in 1000ft elevation for around 65 degrees? Or is it specific for my particular bike? Im asking for a baseline because on my old bike, ttr225, people basically said what jets i need for what mods.

Thanks~!

Offline kx666

Re: I broke my kickstarter, where to buy new one?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2007, 12:07:00 PM »
if you are use to ridding 4strokes then i would say this sounds normal. 2strokes usually over exagerate their powerbands. the k5 will viborate a lot at an idle. is the bike stock?

i dont remember what year they changed the kickstarter but i think it bolts right on to the older bikes. there are other people on the form that know more about kickstarters

Offline maddoggy

• K5 @ ST. ANTHONY DUNES
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2007, 12:55:25 PM »
furiously has a real nice mod for the kickstart lever in his gallery. take a look at it. it must have stopped the breakage for him cause i've not seen him repost about it since. it makes the contact area a little larger, lestening the strain on the circular portion of the lever. i've not modified mine yet but i plan too as soon as i can get access to an aluminum tig. i'm looking for an extra to have in my toolbox just in case. roll starting a kx5 wouldn't be any fun.  MADDOGGY

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2007, 05:48:42 AM »
If you got to your local Kawasaki dealer the PN they have will be for the updated lever with the larger size.  I broke the one on my 92 a couple of years ago and the kawi dealer had the right pn for the updated one.  Cam.

Offline kaw rider

• Cool your engine with water not fuel
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2007, 06:57:31 AM »
i can sell you my kickstart assy off my 93 motor.

4x4max

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2007, 08:16:01 AM »
So can i just use a kickstarter from a kx250 and modify that?

I would go to the dealer, but i imagine it would cost waaay more than i want to spend on a little part.

kawi rider-i basically need everythign that slides on to the teeth, how much shipped to 45044?

4x4max

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2007, 12:23:20 PM »
nevermind, just did some research and it is indeed the same part number