Author Topic: what size paddle tire?  (Read 9960 times)

medic500

what size paddle tire?
« on: October 12, 2007, 05:44:37 AM »
Hey guys I will be going to glamis with the new k5 and was woundering what size paddle tire to go with, 8 or 10 cup? Iam 280lbs, maybe the 8 cup to get it spining? thanks for your input :-D

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
  • KX500 is Danger4u2 Returning from light speed pic.
    • KXRiders.com
Re: what size paddle tire?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2007, 05:54:32 AM »
KX 500 Rider

Offline alan

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2007, 06:32:11 AM »
You may want to do a search on this topic. This just one of the many threads we have had on paddle tires.

http://www.kxriders.com/forums/index.php/topic,211.0.html

Also there is a thread on how to ride with a paddle tire.........

Alan :-D :-D
Sand - Dirt - Dunes = Fun
       04- 700V - 01- KX500
        08 TeryX 2012 KX450F

Offline GDubb

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2007, 03:08:26 PM »
Danger is right... 10 cups.  Others will tell you that just because they run an 8 cup that you should too... not the case.  YES an 8 cup will work and get you around in the sand, but this is how it works...  An 8 cup is for a 250, Why you ask?  Because a 10+ cup can be too much traction and will bog a 250 and make it have to work too hard.  Why NOT an 8 cup on the 500 you ask? Because the 500 makes more than enough power to handle the traction a 10 or even a 12 cup provides without bogging or over working the bike.  An 8 cup on the 500 = less traction = excess wheel spin which in turn = constant higher revving = higher engine temps = more wear and tear not to mention wasted fuel and power.
Rock it 'til the wheels fall off!

"It's not what you ride... It's who you're riding for!" - www.mxrevelation.com -

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
  • KX500 is Danger4u2 Returning from light speed pic.
    • KXRiders.com
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2007, 01:38:53 AM »
GDubb said it all.  A+++++
KX 500 Rider

Offline kx666

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2007, 05:21:12 AM »
on my last dune trip my 10 cup turned into a 8 cup.

lets just say i rode my banshee the rest of the time...

btw what tire pressure is every one running, i changed tire pressure up to 15 psi and after one ride the paddles were gone..

medic500

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2007, 11:44:07 AM »
even at my weight (285) a 10 cup wont bog the bike down?

Offline BDI

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2007, 11:57:44 AM »
Danger is right... 10 cups.  Others will tell you that just because they run an 8 cup that you should too... not the case.  YES an 8 cup will work and get you around in the sand, but this is how it works...  An 8 cup is for a 250, Why you ask?  Because a 10+ cup can be too much traction and will bog a 250 and make it have to work too hard.  Why NOT an 8 cup on the 500 you ask? Because the 500 makes more than enough power to handle the traction a 10 or even a 12 cup provides without bogging or over working the bike.  An 8 cup on the 500 = less traction = excess wheel spin which in turn = constant higher revving = higher engine temps = more wear and tear not to mention wasted fuel and power.

I have destroyed every production paddle on the market with my k5. I used to take two paddles to the dunes because one would not last the whole weekend. I have had 10 and 12 cup paddles but my favorite paddle to date is the 8 cup turbo paddle it hooks up better than any production 10 cup I have ever tried and it last for more than one ride. I actually wear them out rather than brake off cups. It also has small ribs on the sides that help keep you from falling down and looking stupid when you try to turn around at low speeds and it is one of the cheaper tires you can buy. I have no problem blowing the doors off of other 500s that are running ten cup paddles. I have no over heating problems and my bike runs fine. This paddle scores a 9 out of 10 with me and I have burned up some paddles tires in my time.
Smoke every cigarette like It's your last and ride like you stole something!!!

Offline kx666

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2007, 11:58:49 AM »
depends on your gearing, is the bike stock?
i usualy run a 15/42 gear setup unless i plan on finding hills then i drop down to a 15/48 because i run out of power on hills, i cant pull 4th w/ the 42. but then again i am not stock..

if the motor is stock run stock gearing or lower with the 10 paddle

Offline kx666

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2007, 12:01:15 PM »
BDI-

what pressure do you find works the best?

Offline BDI

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2007, 02:09:42 PM »
I run 14psi but Im not sure If that is best. My gearing is 14/45 It's a little taller than stock. My bike Is basicaly stock except the compression has been raised a little, It has a little over 200psi,it has a little port work, a little head work,the cylinder was raised a little, it has a little bit bigger carb and the motor Is in a little 250 chassis other then that It's basicaly stock.

Offline Arigato

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2007, 04:39:16 PM »
I also run the 8 blade turbo paddle as does most of the group I ride with. It's very durable and hooks up well. :mrgreen:

Offline BDI

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2007, 06:16:52 PM »
Hey Arigato,  do you have any complaints about the eight cup turbo paddle?  You know, to be honest with you I think there is a lot of myth involved in the paddle tire department.  It could be that paddle tires with more cups weigh more and are harder to turn giving the feeling of more traction, like adding weight to your flywheel. The last time I went to the dunes there was this guy with a cr500 that had so many cups you could not add another one, he had an extended swingarm, you could see he had a bunch of money in this thing but It was the slowest cr500 I had raced In awhile. I felt bad for him, if I had something that looked like that and I got my ass handed to me by a 100+feet by something with a stock wheel base and a 8 cup I would take It home and burn it.  I think I would rather have a well designed paddle, rather then one that just had a bunch of cups glued on it. I think It's kind of like throwing money at a problem to fix it. 

Offline BDI

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2007, 06:32:02 PM »

i usualy run a 15/42 gear setup
                    How did you come up with that gear ratio are you trying to set land speed records? Have you considered putting a fairing on your Kx500 :lol: :lol: :lol:

Offline alan

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2007, 02:31:49 AM »
I run a Cheng Shin 560X18 10 Paddle  on my 01 KX5! :-D
Sand - Dirt - Dunes = Fun
       04- 700V - 01- KX500
        08 TeryX 2012 KX450F