Author Topic: KX 500 Motocross  (Read 2444 times)

reinsport

KX 500 Motocross
« on: August 18, 2003, 03:31:20 PM »
I'm thinking about racing my KX 500 in open class motocross. Maybe the vintage decade class (it's a '91). Any body doing it? Any suggestions on susp set-up? Motor mods (flywheel weights, power valves, etc.)? KX 250 body parts? Thanks....

Offline Paul

• Top Dawg
    • KX Riders
KX 500 Motocross
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2003, 04:52:10 PM »
I can tell you what I run on the 30+ vet pro class.

Suspension:
Forks.......... .46 springs, Maxima 7wt Fade Free oil @ 90MM from the caps
Shock......... 5.4kg spring, Maxima Medium Fade Free

Don't even run a flywheel weight on the track (though it IS a must in the open desert)

VForce II (low tension setting), FMF Fatty, stock silencer, UNI Air filter, properly jetted and running on Sunoco Purple (111 octane). I don't have any internal engine mods but I do have a few trophies :mrgreen:

teamgreen500

KX 500 Motocross
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2003, 04:14:12 PM »
There are lots of opinions; however, I'll go with the Team Green set-up:

Pro-Circuit/KYB works fork kit. PERIOD. Once you've ridden 'em-you'll know. :lol:

Pro-Circuit/KYB bladder kit - shock revalve. Same as the forks.

Pro-Circuit "Dog-Bones" and fresh bearings for the linkage.

Of-course, this implies a few $ spent at P/C and havin' it all done for you. I can't tell you how many of my friends have ridden my bikes and gotten reallllly upset at their "late model super thumper Hi-tech mega alloy" scooters. Especially the guys with the $8K KTMs!

I've yet to see a Race Tech "Gold Valved", Works Connection or any other companies set-up work as well as P/C's. It helps to remember how involved Mitch and the Pro-Circuit guys are/have been with KMC's racing program. Also, what after market company was making parts for the SR500's (Works KX500's ala KHI, Japan...) back in the days of the 500 Nat's? Hmmmmmm?

Pipe and motor mod's of your choice...a fly-wheel weight can actually help on some of the older (pre-94) ignitions/rotors. It's a matter of how you "brake and clutch". Once again, I run P/C complete engine...especially for MX.

If you're seriouse about your racing and are of average size (5'6" - 5'11") I recm'd a low sraight bend handlebar (RM low) and adjustable/quick clutch perch (really inexpensive set-up from Malcolm Smith-<$20!) and probably a BRP bar clamp kit. This set-up makes your bike feel tighter/lighter.

Make sure you set your sag(s) correctly. Also, there's a lot to be gained by adjusting the front fork in the triples. With these mod's you'll think you've put your motor in a 250 chassis.

What's really important is this: Be honest with the guys that do your suspension. They're going to give you what you ask for...so don't say,"I wan't it to be just like Bubba's bike..."

Do you really plan to do 110' doubles at Anaheim?

Manny