Author Topic: Dual Sport KX500  (Read 25387 times)

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
  • KX500 is Danger4u2 Returning from light speed pic.
    • KXRiders.com
Dual Sport KX500
« on: September 24, 2007, 12:33:07 PM »
Ok. here I go with another project.  I'm going to dual-sport my 04' KX 500.  I think this will be a fun project and a blast to ride.  I ordered all the stuff today but most of it has to be made and then shipped.  Not the kind of stuff they have on the shelf.

I'm going with this speedo.
http://www.electrosport.com/electrosport_speedo_3900.html

And this dual sport kit.
http://www.electrosport.com/electrosport_dakar_intro.html

And this coil.

http://www.elineaccessories.com/Shop/LightingCoils.asp

http://www.elineaccessories.com/shop/Details.asp?ProdID=478&category=10&secondary=10&keywords=
« Last Edit: September 25, 2007, 04:49:36 AM by Danger4u2 »
KX 500 Rider

Desert Panther

Re: Dual Sport KX500
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2007, 02:25:46 PM »
I am in the process of accumulating enough parts to do a restoration/dual sport conversion, so those links were helpful for me, especially the speedo one, that things looks sweet. One question i have is, the dual sport kit costs 519 bucks, but doesnt include a mirror?!?!?!?!?  What kind of crap is that?  :-o

Offline The Flyin Hawaiian

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2007, 03:26:39 PM »
You might want to consider the ICO Dualsport VRL. It is a very durable, backlit odometer. I use their Check Mate enduro computers on my KX 250. They make some tough stuff! All their products can be sent back for repair also. Fast turn around. Ive been using ICO products since 86. I still have my original ICO odo and it still works! ICO Racing.com 

http://www.icoracing.com/
« Last Edit: September 25, 2007, 12:40:29 AM by Danger4u2 »
A couple of 03 and 04 KXs, a few YZs, 3 PE 400s, a DR and a TS.

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
    • KXRiders.com
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2007, 01:01:28 AM »
Yes, I will have to come up with mirrors.  I went with the parts listed because the speedo is plug and play with the Dakar set up.  It also has temp. sending unit and blinker indicators so you don't unknowingly drive around with the blinker on.  If you see someone going slow in the fast lane with their left blinker on the tag will say Iowa, 9 out of ten times.  Sorry if you are from Iowa.  I think the equipment I am buying for this project is pricy.  I have done allot of research and found cheaper items,  but I feel you get what you pay for.  Only time will tell if I bought the correct products.   I like the fact that the ICO unit has a batt. backup.  The plug and play feature on the wire harness is hard to turn away from.   As quick as they get my parts together and UPS knocks on the door, I will post up pictures.
Danger
KX 500 Rider

Offline demographic

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2007, 06:30:42 AM »
Danger, is it a legal requirement to have mirrors were you live?

I didn't need them for my supermoto in the UK and even if I did fit any I doubt I would be able to see anything in them anyway.

Tell us how you get on with the Eline coil.

regards Scott.

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
    • KXRiders.com
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2007, 03:43:17 AM »
Yes, I will need to install mirrors.
Today I cut the spokes on my extra rear wheel and shipped it to
East Coast Wheels.
http://store.eastcoastwheels.com/index.html
They will lace up a 17x3.50 Silver Excell rim.
Rim..............$185
Spokes........$  80
Labor..........$   50
Shipping......$   20
Total............$335.
I didn't shop prices so this might be more than somewhere else.  With my credit card order they will drill my rim today and have it ready for the hub I will be sending today.  Back in my hands in less than 1 week.
KX 500 Rider

Desert Panther

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2007, 04:50:45 PM »
I am following this project with enthusiasm! Please please keep us posted, i will soon enough be following in your footsteps with a street plated Su-Mo KX500.

I am curious as to why you are only doing the back rim but not the front?  And why did you choose a 3.5 instead of the more usual 4.25?

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
    • KXRiders.com
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2007, 04:30:05 AM »
For now I will be using it more for dual sport purposes.  The 6th Annual Clayton Okla. Dual Sport meet is Oct. 19 thru 21.  Headlight assembly, speedo, and taillight assembly shipped yesterday, hope to have if Fri. but most likely Mon.  Have not heard from E-line on the coil.  They hand make them as needed, don't want to bug them.  Last year I rode the K5 in MX trim on the highway between trail heads.  I just stayed in the middle of the pack and kept my fingers crossed we didn't run into any Highway Patrol.  This year even if I don't get the coil in time I will at least look street legal.  More dual sport tires fit the 3.5 rim.  Same with the 21" front wheel.  Later down the road I will get another set of wheels for super moto.  Here's a pic of the tires I run on  KLR650. Continental TKC-80.  I'll run the same tires on the K5 but the back will be wider.  I think a 150/70 B17 will fit the K5.  I know  the 103/80 S17 will fit the KLR.   Today when I change the KLR tire I will stick it in the KX swing arm and see how it fits.  Then I can find out it the 150 will fit the KX.    http://www.tiresunlimited.com/ALL%20TIRES/Continental/continental_tkc80.htm
KX 500 Rider

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
    • KXRiders.com
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2007, 03:41:39 AM »
Here are the parts I have received so far.
Head light, wiring, subfender/tail light, blinkers and speedo from ElectroSport.
I was disappointed to find the speedo has a mechanical speed indicator instead of a magnetic pickup sensor.
E-line sent the coil mounted in the case.  Well made trick setup I see why it cost so much.  I like the rubber o-ring gasket on the outer cover.  Now I just need the time to put it all together.
KX 500 Rider

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
    • KXRiders.com
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2007, 04:15:12 AM »
UPS is my friend,  this just showed up...............
KX 500 Rider

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
    • KXRiders.com
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2007, 05:51:26 AM »
Called ElectroSport about the mechanical speed indicator.  They sent me the Speedo for the XR650L Honda and it has a gear drive on the front wheel for the speed indicator.  They apologized for the error. They will send me the correct unit and a shipping label to send back the wrong part.  I also mentioned that I bought the upgraded blinkers (LED) but they installed the stock blinkers.  She said she would tell them in the shop so the next customer won't have to go through taking the assembly apart to install the correct blinkers.  Nothing like redo work.  I think I'll leave the stock blinkers for the DMV inspection.  Then I'll install the LED blinkers after I get the tag on the bike.  I'm ready to put this project together but I have to go back to work.
KX 500 Rider

Offline BigGreenMachine

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2007, 07:42:24 AM »
Very nice. KX500 on the road will be a hoot and a half!

Offline demographic

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2007, 08:16:02 AM »
You might have to wire a resister in parallel with those LED indicators to get them to flash at the right rate.

Offline MadKaw

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2007, 05:07:35 AM »
be sure to post pictures as you get the pieces on there, and ease or problems that you have.
Deviate from the Norm!
Father!...The sleeper has Awaken!!!

2001 Harley Sportster xlh1200
'73 Suzuki GT550
'75 Suzuki GT550
'74 Kawasaki Z1 900
'79 Yamaha GT80
'93 KX500*******
'84 Yamaha Riva 180z scooter
08 Q-link Pegasus scooter first new rid

Offline BigGreenMachine

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2007, 07:01:14 AM »
Those tires look gnarly, real tuff! Any progress?