Author Topic: Fork Seal Question  (Read 1946 times)

conanrules1

Fork Seal Question
« on: September 23, 2007, 12:46:56 PM »
Hey Everyone--

Just picked up my 97 KX500 and there seems to be a bit of oil on the forks....not a ton but enough to concern me.  I had to replace the fork seals on my CR500 but I've forgotten how much it cost.  Does anyone know how much something like that costs to fix?  Is the job difficult or can it be done with a manual and regular tools?  Anyone have pics of the job being done?  I know it's a long shot but I figured I'd give it a shot.

Thanks for your input.

Rob

Offline FactoryPhil

Re: Fork Seal Question
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2007, 12:50:10 PM »
At our shop we charge 160$ labor plus parts - seals, wipers, oil, and bushings if needed.
It's not if you crash ...it's when
I'm on IRC efnet #mp3addics-chat Mechanos or MechServ

Offline Platypus

• Platypus Racing
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2007, 03:11:48 PM »
160 + parts is pretty steep.  Here is a place I have used http://propreptmotocross.com/services.html.  I think it is more in line with reasonable shop rates for that type of work.  If you were to do it yourself you really just need a fork seal driver and an accurate gauge for measuring oil height.  You can get by with some pvc instead of a fork seal driver but is a pain in the ass. 

Offline FactoryPhil

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2007, 04:08:30 PM »
Sorry, just trying to say what it costs at a franchised dealership :|
It's not if you crash ...it's when
I'm on IRC efnet #mp3addics-chat Mechanos or MechServ

Offline gowen

• Resident Newbie
  • Global Moderator
  • www.KXRiders.com
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2007, 01:05:03 AM »
I did all the fork seal changes myself on all 8 of my bikes. The only ones I did not do were the ones I had revalved and spring'd up by race tech.

Buy a service manual (Clymer or OEM) and a few shop tools (or an impact wrench) and you are set.

Offline Hillclimb#42

• '97 kx 500, '96 kx 250, '99 KTM 380
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2007, 07:10:07 AM »
You should be able to get it done for 50 bucks a side. Help yourself out and get a set of seals and wiper and find someone for labor and oil. This will speed up turn around. If it continues to leak every time you ride it, you can replace the brass bushings that align them. They eventually get worn and allow the seal to get messed up quickly. I replaced the bushings and seals in the 97 k5 and have had no leaks this season.

Offline c-152

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2007, 12:00:09 AM »
I have replaced all my own seals, its not bad to do it you follow the manual.  I am to cheap to buy the seal drivers so I made a set out of PVC and they work just as good (in fact I like them better) 
Just make sure you keep everything clean and get your oil level correct
?There are only three sports: mountain climbing, bull fighting, and motor racing. All the rest are merely games.?
? Ernest Hemingway

"I want to leave this world the same way I came into it: Screaming and covered in blood."