Author Topic: oxygen injection  (Read 6290 times)

Offline maddoggy

• K5 @ ST. ANTHONY DUNES
oxygen injection
« on: September 22, 2007, 10:46:14 PM »
this may be a stupid idea but gotta throw it out there anyways. anyone ever thought of piping a small amount of pure oxygen into the intake of a bike? it's 4:30 am here so my thinking may not be too good but it seems like maybe there would be a little power gain. Stewart, maybe a dyno check idea. MADDOGGY

Offline BDI

Re: oxygen injection
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2007, 03:23:38 AM »
You would probably have to add fuel just like with nitrous and you probably would not see the gains for all your work that you would see with nitrous. Not to mention pure oxygen, oil and fuel will start a fire all on their own. You would probably start a fire in the carb that would progress down the intake to the bottom end and blow the top off the engine. I say we try It  :evil:.

(Interesting fact) On It's own nitrous Is not flammable you can actually put a fire out with It.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2007, 03:39:40 AM by BDI »
Smoke every cigarette like It's your last and ride like you stole something!!!

Offline don46

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2007, 12:25:58 PM »
Wayyyy bad idea, oxygen does not like hydrocarbons. It will make a big explosion, ever wonder why your oxy acetylene gauges say use no oil, big explosion. bad, bad, bad idea, I like reading your posts, and would like to see you around awhile, don't do it.
Live today, for tomorrow may never come

Offline maddoggy

• K5 @ ST. ANTHONY DUNES
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2007, 12:29:56 PM »
well guys keep in mind that it was 4:30 am at the end of a nightshift at work when the thought entered my tired mind. :oops: oh well. after thinking about it today i thought it wasn't a good idea. i shouldn't think at 4:30 am i should just take a nap. :lol: MADDOGGY

Offline BDI

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2007, 04:25:32 PM »
Wayyyy bad idea, oxygen does not like hydrocarbons. It will make a big explosion, ever wonder why your oxy acetylene gauges say use no oil, big explosion. bad, bad, bad idea, I like reading your posts, and would like to see you around awhile, don't do it.
Don you should not not be a negative Nellie you should be open to new ideas. I have been kicking around the idea of hydrogen peroxide injection ran threw a catalyzer. should be one hell of a jump In horse power we plan to test run It at Bonneville. :evil:

Offline FactoryPhil

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2007, 04:33:47 PM »
I have been kicking around the idea of hydrogen peroxide injection ran threw a catalyzer. 

Isn't that the basic principle of a liquid fuel rocket?
It's not if you crash ...it's when
I'm on IRC efnet #mp3addics-chat Mechanos or MechServ

Offline maddoggy

• K5 @ ST. ANTHONY DUNES
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2007, 04:34:49 PM »
now i really feel like an idiot. as if i wasn't one before :oops: i better keep my ideas to myself from now on to avoid emberassment. MADDOGGY

Offline FactoryPhil

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2007, 04:40:32 PM »
No way dude! At least you are thinking. That's more than 95% of people in general do :-D With no one to experiment and think, how do we expect to advance? :wink:
It's not if you crash ...it's when
I'm on IRC efnet #mp3addics-chat Mechanos or MechServ

Offline BDI

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2007, 05:44:37 PM »
Hey I'm just kidding around don't get that sort of attitude. You have to think outside of the box In order to innovate. I have done more than one thing because some one said It was a bad Idea. For every one good idea I have had I have had ten retarded ones and for every cool thing I have fabed there was two or three smashed on the floor. Dont be scared to put your ideas out there Just because some but hole like me might poke fun.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2007, 02:33:26 PM by BDI »

Offline maddoggy

• K5 @ ST. ANTHONY DUNES
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2007, 05:54:41 PM »
hey BDI, it ain't you man i just realize what is wrong with that idea now that i'm not dog tired and i feel like a jackass for throwin it out there. i'll come up with a better idea next i promise. MADDOGGY

booneylander

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2007, 01:28:50 AM »
Pure Oxygen would be physically do-able but you wouldn't be able to get much gain before you'd start melting things.

The air we breathe has about 20% oxygen, and nitrous has more but only about 35%, the remainder in both cases is mostly nitrogen.

That being said the main reasons you can get so much power from nitrous is more due to the fact that it's so much colder and much more dense than air, so it's easy to get 2-3 times more oxygen molecules per volume of mixture you take in.

The kicker is that when you have say 3 times more oxygen, you're generating 3 times more heat from combustion. If it wasn't for the cooling effect of the nitrous (which can often be at -100F in the intake) you'd be melting your engine in no time.

So, if you could pipe pure oxygen into your engine, it might work, but you'd have to deal with all the other issues too.

Offline MadKaw

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2007, 02:56:37 AM »
in turbo cars some people have been using water injection to both cool and I think there is some breakdown of the H2O molecule to release the O2 and Hydrogen....since the 2-stroke acts as a kind of supercharger I wonder if this could be applied?
Deviate from the Norm!
Father!...The sleeper has Awaken!!!

2001 Harley Sportster xlh1200
'73 Suzuki GT550
'75 Suzuki GT550
'74 Kawasaki Z1 900
'79 Yamaha GT80
'93 KX500*******
'84 Yamaha Riva 180z scooter
08 Q-link Pegasus scooter first new rid

Offline don46

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2007, 03:01:03 AM »
Don you should not not be a negative Nellie you should be open to new ideas. I have been kicking around the idea of hydrogen peroxide injection ran threw a catalyzer. should be one hell of a jump In horse power we plan to test run It at Bonneville. :evil:

No Brian, I'm not being a negative Nellie, I would like to see Maddoggy around for awhile. This is the business I'm in, Oxygen is not anything to fool with, we've had explosions from just friction within lines while pumping. We do demonstration for kids, one of them is to put a drop of liquid O2 on a disc and then on another take a rag with oil and rub it across the other, the drop one onto the other, it makes quite an explosion, (this is in a controlled environment so the kids aren't in danger). Working around the stuff I've developed a healthy respect for it. I'm open for anything as long as it doesn't jepordize anybody;s well being.

Offline don46

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2007, 03:04:26 AM »
in turbo cars some people have been using water injection to both cool and I think there is some breakdown of the H2O molecule to release the O2 and Hydrogen....since the 2-stroke acts as a kind of supercharger I wonder if this could be applied?

If it was only that easy to breakdown water, but alas, at this point in time it can't be done. Interestingly you can inject Hydrogen in Argon to get rid of O2 and end up with water, the reverse isn't possible.

Most of thime I've seen water injected was to reduce detonation.

Offline MadKaw

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2007, 03:35:51 AM »
Oh yes Grasshopper...but soon it shall be....and there will be GLORIOUS flames ejected from the pipe in such magnitudes that an afterburner affect will be had. launching the magnificent K5 into the the reaches of space.... and then ....yes then....the 4-stroke will fall to the feet of the mighty 5-hunny. trembling in its pool of used motor oil....

or something like that!

;p.....MK
Deviate from the Norm!
Father!...The sleeper has Awaken!!!

2001 Harley Sportster xlh1200
'73 Suzuki GT550
'75 Suzuki GT550
'74 Kawasaki Z1 900
'79 Yamaha GT80
'93 KX500*******
'84 Yamaha Riva 180z scooter
08 Q-link Pegasus scooter first new rid