Author Topic: What Oil should be using  (Read 2462 times)

weldingrod

What Oil should be using
« on: September 18, 2007, 11:46:50 AM »
I am a proud owner of a 93 KX 500 and been using the recommended manufacture 10-30 Kawasaki brand oil. 2 stroke oil I have been using Super M. I recently was told I should be using AMS OIL 20W-50 I rode today with it for the first time and it seemed as if my clutch was almost out all the way and then it would take off. I stalled it 3 times today because the clutching was so different any recommendations as always are greatly appreciated.

Offline fluffy

Re: What Oil should be using
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2007, 01:04:00 PM »
why change.

Offline Platypus

• Platypus Racing
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2007, 03:31:32 AM »
This is a weird subject.  I have heard "only use synthetic" and "don't use synthetic it builds up on the parts".  I would go back to what you were using and see what happens.  I personally run plain 10-40 and don't have any problems.  Some guys run ATF and swear by it.  There are plenty of threads here on it but again it's all subjective and personal opinion if you ask me.

Offline alan

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2007, 04:52:10 AM »
You may want to read this sticky above......... ATF as Gear Lube

Alan :-D :-D :-D
Sand - Dirt - Dunes = Fun
       04- 700V - 01- KX500
        08 TeryX 2012 KX450F

Offline BDI

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2007, 09:21:39 AM »
"don't use synthetic it builds up on the parts"

:? - :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Smoke every cigarette like It's your last and ride like you stole something!!!

Offline Platypus

• Platypus Racing
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2007, 09:30:06 AM »

:? - :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeah that is exactly why I say it's all personal opinion.  All I know is what I know and it works so I am sticking with conventional 10-40 :p

Oh actually the person said it more like this, "Don't use synthetic it leaves a film on the parts that can cause the clutch to slip".  This was right after a guy who has been riding 500's for like 20 years told me to use synthetic.  I try to take it all with a grain of salt
« Last Edit: September 19, 2007, 09:48:03 AM by Platypus »

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2007, 05:26:19 PM »
I run amsoil 20w50 in my street bikes with no issues. It has a wet clutch.  My view is that if synthetic makes your clutch slip then it likely needed replacing anyway.  I havent run amsoil in the trans of my K5. 10W40 at first and now ATF type F seems to be the best.  Since I am cheap, I generally only run synthetic in a trans to smooth out notchy shifting. Cam.

Offline Rotorised

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2007, 12:21:23 AM »
I have been told by my Kawasaki dealer to use the thicker oil. I used to use 20/50 and 10/40  but after trying 10/30 I have never looked back. I personally find that now I am not grabbing neutral between 1st and 2nd as much as I used to for whatever reason, so thats good enough for me  :-D
Although I don't know which oil is better for the transmission?