Author Topic: Grilled cheese sandwich  (Read 10788 times)

Offline BDI

Grilled cheese sandwich
« on: September 16, 2007, 06:56:44 PM »
Every since I was a little kid I have loved grilled cheese sandwiches.  I consider myself a grilled cheese connoisseur.  I have a few recipes, one of my favorites Is the the grilled jalapeno cream cheese but tonight, I want to share my recipe for my classic grilled cheese sandwich. First you want to get your griddle warmed up, a low temp is best so you do not burn your bread before you melt your cheese. For the classic you use white bread and American cheese start by melting real butter in a small bowl in the microwave, real butter is the key to making the classic. Use a basting brush to spread the melted butter evenly over the bread.  Put your first piece of bread on the griddle followed by a slice of American cheese then butter the second piece and place it on top, flip once it has become golden brown then remove once the other side becomes golden brown.  It is best to let your grilled sandwich cool on a cooling rack so that one side does not become soggy. I like to place a paper towel on the cooling rack to soak up any excess butter.  Then Enjoy!!!
Smoke every cigarette like It's your last and ride like you stole something!!!

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
Re: Grilled cheese sandwich
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2007, 02:04:08 AM »
Hard to beat grilled cheese sandwich. I use Texas Toast and cheder cheese. I need to try that grilled jalapeno cream cheese sandwich. I'm hungry now.
Open Class 2-Stroke Kawasaki KX500
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
Dirt Hammers - Online Off-Road Journal
hughes@dirthammers.com
http://www.dirthammers.com

Offline gowen

• Resident Newbie
  • Global Moderator
  • www.KXRiders.com
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2007, 02:12:38 AM »
Thanks, I'll have to try it out.

Offline alan

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2007, 02:23:51 AM »
It's really to bad that almost everything in that sandwich will eventually give you a clogged arteries! You could just call it a "Heart Attack Sandwich" :-o :-o Yep that's what I grew up on! :cry: :cry: You can still enjoy them without all the bad ingredients,  Some good whole-wheat bread, instead of White!  There are lots of wonderful cheeses instead of American, which is the leftover junk that the figured out what to do with instead of poring it down the drain!   And there are some really good healthy butter substitutes out there now that are actually good for you! I guess it just depends "How Long Do You Want to Live"!

I sill like them just as you described, but I am glad their are healthy alternatives! :-D :-D :-D :-D
Sand - Dirt - Dunes = Fun
       04- 700V - 01- KX500
        08 TeryX 2012 KX450F

Offline gowen

• Resident Newbie
  • Global Moderator
  • www.KXRiders.com
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2007, 03:47:51 AM »
I like wheat, but have a hard time with alternative butter. Just can't give up real butter...  :cry: :cry:

Offline FuriouSly

• the "Base Camp"
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2007, 06:26:17 AM »
Mmmmm, Grilled Cheese   :-)  Sometimes ham in it too....   real stick butter is better than margarine though... 

Sly

Offline BDI

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2007, 09:54:52 AM »
It's really to bad that almost everything in that sandwich will eventually give you a clogged arteries! You could just call it a "Heart Attack Sandwich" :-o :-o Yep that's what I grew up on! :cry: :cry: You can still enjoy them without all the bad ingredients,  Some good whole-wheat bread, instead of White!  There are lots of wonderful cheeses instead of American, which is the leftover junk that the figured out what to do with instead of poring it down the drain!   And there are some really good healthy butter substitutes out there now that are actually good for you! I guess it just depends "How Long Do You Want to Live"!

I sill like them just as you described, but I am glad their are healthy alternatives! :-D :-D :-D :-D

Its funny how much a grilled cheese sandwich has In common with the kx500. It's something you love but has a very real potential of killing you some day.

Offline don46

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2007, 02:55:03 AM »
I don't care how it's made, but it must have tomato soup along with it.
Live today, for tomorrow may never come

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2007, 03:09:44 AM »
I don't care how it's made, but it must have tomato soup along with it.

Yep. Tomato soup is the best with grilled cheese.
Open Class 2-Stroke Kawasaki KX500
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
Dirt Hammers - Online Off-Road Journal
hughes@dirthammers.com
http://www.dirthammers.com

Offline Hillclimb#42

• '97 kx 500, '96 kx 250, '99 KTM 380
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2007, 12:29:58 PM »
 What about easy dinners or breakfasts, to make while out riding for the weekend? We've been taking steak and chicken to the races. Steak to the winners and i guess you know who gets the chicken.
 Seriously though, we've wore out the grill with steak and chicken ( mostly steak :-D) and was wondering about easy meals to make, where you don't even realize you're camping.
 Can you do the grilled cheese on the charcoal or propane grill?

Offline BDI

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2007, 03:10:47 PM »
When It's cold out, tomato soup and grilled cheese mmm-mm-good. :-D :-D :-D
« Last Edit: September 18, 2007, 05:43:41 PM by BDI »

Offline BDI

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2007, 06:25:46 AM »
OK...  Try Rye bread lightly toasted cover with mayo, stack Thinly sliced turkey, bacon, avacado, tomatoe, thinly sliced red onion and last but not least sprinkle with feta cheese salt and pepper... ENJOY!!!   Feta cheese and avacado go together so good and is complimented very well by the bacon. Also goes very well on sour dough bread. This sandwich Is unbeleivably good you have to try It, if you don't you are truly missing out.

P.S. Although I do love the grilled cheese, the grilled cheese post was ment as kind of a joke, this is not.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2007, 06:33:11 AM by BDI »

Offline kx666

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2007, 05:54:18 AM »
there we go! i am glad i am not the only one that uses mayo, its the only my to make grilled cheese

Offline BDI

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2008, 02:00:59 PM »
So I'm sitting in an orientation class for a new job site I have to go on to in las vegas called city center http://www.citycenter.com/. This job site is insane and plagued with deaths and accidents so now you have to sit threw 16 hours of osha and orientation classes just to set foot on the property. So I'm sitting in class watching this guy eat a sliced bread sandwich with big slices of dill pickles on it.  For the next few hours I'm thinking what kind of sandwich would taste good with big slices of dill pickle on it. This is what I came up with it's kind of odd and I'm sure it's not for every one if any one. The sandwich I came up with is this, sour dough with the big dill pickles cut long ways. I'm running olive loaf on that (from the deli) with strait up yellow Frenches mustard. I really liked it and tomorrow I'm going to run tomatos and onions on it to, It's funny how ones tastes change as you get older you would have had to beat me over the head with a two by four when I was a kid to get me to eat something like that.

Offline GDubb

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2008, 02:43:12 PM »
I have always loved veggies. All kinds. When we were little my sister would gag on canned spinach, but I always loved it. Brussel sprouts even... love 'em. I dont know what it is, I just love vegetables. Fresh, canned, or frozen. As for the grilled cheese... Grilled cheese and ham with deli sliced ham, cheddar cheese, and whole grain bread... and tomato soup.  8-)

-G
Rock it 'til the wheels fall off!

"It's not what you ride... It's who you're riding for!" - www.mxrevelation.com -