Author Topic: light coil idea  (Read 32865 times)

Offline alward25

Re: light coil idea
« Reply #45 on: June 10, 2010, 05:09:20 PM »
I have emailing Turn Tech batteries and they are a Lithiam Iron phosphate and are the cat's meow. They make a 2.5, 5.0, 7.5 and a 10 Ah. He said that the 5.0 could run dual HID for about 1 hr 45 min. Longer if only 1 HID. Most likely twice as long. The 10 Ah is 3.4 lbs. If there is no power coming from the bike.

The 7.5Ah is $199 the 10Ah is $249, shipping is $10 in the US for either.

The 7.5Ah is 4"x4.5"x3" and the 10Ah is 5"x4.5"x3" (tall by length by
width). They weight 2.5lbs and 3.4lbs.

Interesting......
Alex

I even have a bitchen idea for the battery.

Dirt Bike Mag has a review on a CV4 8-CELL battery. It is lithium-ion-ferrous and quite small,,, 4.3 in.X 3 in. weighing about 1.4 lbs. I went to the website, but it isn't listed there yet. www.cv4.net    (800) 448-1223
"Let there be light"

Offline Speedway73

« Reply #46 on: June 11, 2010, 03:05:46 AM »
The coil on the KX pictured has KOR imprinted into the side. I have mentioned them before and they were heavily involved in desert racing. Not sure if they still are. There is a KX500 engine on Ebay that has a similar coil setup that is made by a company called Auto Tech. Does anyone know of this co.?

I like collecting the older,rare stuff. Does anyone have any info on the KOR unit or the Auto Tech unit??

Offline flyingfitz

« Reply #47 on: June 11, 2010, 03:07:08 AM »
I have 2300 MAh A123 batteries in one of my RC Helicopters and they work awesome.  Super high charge/discharge rates, durable and not prone to fire when damaged or overcharged/discharged.  Some of the Lithium ferrous advertise 3.7 volts per cell but most quickly go down to 3.3 for the sustained voltage under load.   They will hold that until they crash.  Rule of thumb is to leave 20% of capacity or so in the pack but A123 is not as prone to damage when over discharged like Lithium Polymer.  A 4 cell pack will yield 13.2 volts "operating voltage" 4 each 4 cell packs in paralell will yield 9200 MAh at 13.2 volts. I am not sure of what kind of charger it would take to charge that pack but it would have to be considered if your charger was either on or off of the bike.

The UPS man just delivered my Stewart Motor. Sorry boys this topic is now yours!!!

Fitz

Offline kaw rider

• Cool your engine with water not fuel
« Reply #48 on: June 11, 2010, 03:46:24 AM »
let everybody know how it runs.

Offline BDI

« Reply #49 on: June 11, 2010, 04:09:10 AM »
I should have said I have a killer idea for mounting the battery I'm all ears on what would be the most powerfull small battery we can use. My crf450x has the battery mounted under the seat in the air box. One could build an aluminum tray that stradled the sub frame rails with the battery on it's side. You would use a small piece of foam to hold the battery and tray in place with the seat. You would remove the seat and then just simply lift the battery and tray out to remove the air filter. Now before you say it the battery is very small and would not block the air from going to the engine.
Smoke every cigarette like It's your last and ride like you stole something!!!

Offline BDI

« Reply #50 on: June 11, 2010, 06:27:42 AM »
Well I got a hold of these Guys, I talked to a guy named dane He told me that once we figured it out he would send the info to the guys in germany that offer this stuff and make a kit available. I have done a bunch of research on the web and have seen a couple stator plates made by these guys that looked like dead ringers for the KX500. Dane told me that they have a light coil that put out 130 watts of power and that these are complete ignitions like the pvl. I wish I was In a better position to persue this further but I'm just not. It would not surprise me if they had something on the shelf that would fit the K5 and didn't know it.  

http://www.pentonimports.com/mzb.htm
« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 06:31:06 AM by BDI »

Offline bigbellybob

« Reply #51 on: June 11, 2010, 07:24:05 AM »
I'm all ears on what would be the most powerfull small battery we can use.
if you havent heard of turn tech take a look, they have some realy small but powerfull moto batterys. IMO this would be the best mx battery you can get.

http://turntechbattery.com/TurnTech%20Battery/Welcome.html

FAQ page
http://turntechbattery.com/TurnTech%20Battery/FAQ.html
« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 07:27:51 AM by bigbellybob »
IF RIDING IS OUTLAWED ONLY OUTLAWS WILL RIDE

sponsor
http://www.steelmx.com/

Offline ID KX500

• Life, Liberty, and The Pursuit of Happiness
« Reply #52 on: June 11, 2010, 03:24:38 PM »
I'm all ears on what would be the most powerfull small battery we can use.
if you havent heard of turn tech take a look, they have some realy small but powerfull moto batterys. IMO this would be the best mx battery you can get.

http://turntechbattery.com/TurnTech%20Battery/Welcome.html

FAQ page
http://turntechbattery.com/TurnTech%20Battery/FAQ.html

Good price on these and two good options for different needs. The small one should work great on a K5 with kick start,,,and it should be easy to find a spot to mount.
"Endeavor to persevere."

Offline ID KX500

• Life, Liberty, and The Pursuit of Happiness
« Reply #53 on: June 11, 2010, 04:16:38 PM »
If you put a battery on a K5 it will need a good Regulator/Rectifier to switch to DC power. Anyone know which one is best quality and price? Anyone done this,,,SuperMoto guys?
"Endeavor to persevere."

Offline BDI

« Reply #54 on: June 11, 2010, 04:46:09 PM »
If you put a battery on a K5 it will need a good Regulator/Rectifier to switch to DC power. Anyone know which one is best quality and price? Anyone done this,,,SuperMoto guys?
Well we could use the one that comes with the lighting coil or I know the one's http://www.bajadesigns.com/  use seem pretty good. I have had one on my crf450x sense 06 with know prob and I used them on the last three lighting set ups Ive built no probs.

Offline PowerFiend

« Reply #55 on: June 12, 2010, 03:29:41 AM »
I will only buy the HD ricky stator regulator/rectifiers, since I have had both baja design and trail tech ones fail on my 200 watt system on my XR650R. 

Offline BDI

« Reply #56 on: June 12, 2010, 06:23:52 AM »
The mzb system is a complete system that includes cdi regulator coil the whole nine yards. It even appears they have programable ignitions. It looks like all that needs to be done to use this system on the 500 is a custom stator plate.MZB is a german comany that has been making motorcycle ignitions sense at least 1960 from what I can tell. Their flywheel looks to be the exact same size and style as the stock KX500 flywheel. There's a very good chance you can even use the stock KX500 flywheel with their stator.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 06:31:58 AM by BDI »

Offline BDI

« Reply #57 on: June 12, 2010, 10:32:45 AM »
Check this bad ass doo hicky out  :-D :-D :-D :-D 

http://www.economycycle.com/servlet/the-28/Zeeltronic-VCDI04-CDI-%26/Detail

Offline BDI

« Reply #58 on: June 12, 2010, 10:58:46 AM »
These guys even have power valve controllers. Wouldn't it be cool to build and ignition with that option? Build a billet cover for the power valve push pull linkage that has monting for an rc car servo. These are the guys who make the doo hicky in the last post.

http://www.zeeltronic.com/page/home.php

Offline demographic

« Reply #59 on: June 12, 2010, 09:00:52 PM »
The mzb system is a complete system that includes cdi regulator coil the whole nine yards. It even appears they have programable ignitions. It looks like all that needs to be done to use this system on the 500 is a custom stator plate.MZB is a german comany that has been making motorcycle ignitions sense at least 1960 from what I can tell. Their flywheel looks to be the exact same size and style as the stock KX500 flywheel. There's a very good chance you can even use the stock KX500 flywheel with their stator.

I'm keeping a close eye on this thread in the hope that something fruitful comes of it all, its about time there was a really good product out there for KX500 lights and it looks like it might happen.