Author Topic: light coil idea  (Read 32858 times)

Offline BDI

Re: light coil idea
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2008, 01:36:39 PM »
I thought of that but there is not a lot of room between the mag and the flywheel. Another problem is that there is a magnet inside the flywheel that triggers the spark and I'm not sure exactly how that works and I don't want to destroy a good flywheel to see. I basicaly need to do an autopsy on a flywheel to understand exactly how the trigger works.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2008, 04:55:12 PM by BDI »
Smoke every cigarette like It's your last and ride like you stole something!!!

Offline BDI

« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2008, 01:40:10 PM »
I'm on the sideline cheering for you to come thru with what's needed.  If you can do it we'll call you BDI Tesla.

Maybe we can just put a tesla coil on the bike then we could power the light with out wires :lol: :lol: :lol: that should be fun. I bet no one would want to pass you :lol: :lol: :lol: zzzzzzzzt- pow  :-D

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2008, 03:39:35 PM »
BDI,
  You are on the right track.  Once you find a stator that fits it is relatively simple to wind it.  I wonder what ricky stator uses as a blank.  I also wonder how well an XR600 type stator would fit. Cam.

Offline demographic

« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2008, 11:50:38 AM »
Not sure if this helps but I tend to kind of hoover up photos of unusual KX500s whenever I see them on the internet, anyway I saw this one on Ebay a year or so ago with a serious lighting setup and copied the pictures to my hard drive.
Sorry that I don't have any more details about it.

Offline The Flyin Hawaiian

« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2008, 04:02:35 PM »
The coil on the KX pictured has KOR imprinted into the side. I have mentioned them before and they were heavily involved in desert racing. Not sure if they still are. There is a KX500 engine on Ebay that has a similar coil setup that is made by a company called Auto Tech. Does anyone know of this co.?
A couple of 03 and 04 KXs, a few YZs, 3 PE 400s, a DR and a TS.

Offline BDI

« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2008, 04:37:56 PM »
that's basicly an e-line coil.

Offline BDI

« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2010, 06:18:54 AM »
Could it really be this easy   If the crank taper is right all that needs to be done is to make a custom stator plate. Now the trigger is of a diff style then the K5 so to use it we may need to switch to a newer Kx250 ignition or get the ignition from the bike it is made for. Then we could also use the power jet carb from the 250. Then we could could also use one of the vortex ignitions on the bike. Didn't someone make a bad ass billet carb that had the power jet option on it? Don What do you think of this? don's probably already done it LOLOLOL If I had the money I would allready be ordering the parts to try it. Best off all it would all fit behind the stock stator cover.This is it I think I finally figured it out  :-D
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 07:01:58 AM by BDI »

Offline DoldGuy

« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2010, 07:46:03 AM »
I will try to post some pics of the ignition later, but here is some info for now. One of our members has it figured out already (I think?), Programmable ignition, Power Jet Circuit, Etc.

DoldGuy
Its Never too Late to Have a Happy Childhood!

Offline maddoggy

• K5 @ ST. ANTHONY DUNES
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2010, 08:01:34 AM »
looks like a race to the finish. don't put each other in the wall trying to get the checkered flag. sorry, i got a little carried away there.

« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2010, 08:47:22 AM »
If the 250 ignition is used, I think thats what you are saying, then we would have to use the 250 flywheel. Even with the heaviest weight that Steahly makes, I think it would still be lighter than the stock 500 flywheel. That may work ok in the desert but could be a handfull in the woods for some. I forgot who it was, I think it was one of the hill climbers, but I believe he said the 250 ignition turned the 500 into an animal.

Motorrad

« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2010, 08:56:13 AM »
Could always machine brass rings like on my ward bike to take care of the weight issue??

I believe that a good ignition curve etc is the next hurdle for seriouse power inccrease
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 09:01:09 AM by Motorrad »

« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2010, 09:03:30 AM »
If someone would make a weight that would equal the stock 500 flywheel with a 14oz weight on it I would do it. I have a spare 04 250 ignition, carb etc. You could even make the lights work by powering them off of the powerjet coil. They wont be very bright though! Enough to get you through tech inspection at a enduro or putt home slowly if you get stuck out at night. Ive been running the lights on my 250 this way for about 5 years now.

Offline BDI

« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2010, 10:15:17 AM »
I think you missed what I was saying. The stator I showed In the picture is of an aftermarket coil and flywheel that also includes a lighting coil that puts out 100 watts power.That would charge a battery and run an Hid light that puts out as much light as 200 watts of halogen at idle. It looks to be about the same size and weight as the stock one so I don't think you will need to add weight. The only reason I mention using the 250 CDI is because The aftermarket coil uses a different trigger coil then the 500 but the same style as the 250 so I was just thinking the that coil and flywheel may not work with the 500 cdi but might work with 250 cdi. I really think you missed what I was saying by a mile or two. O well
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 10:19:57 AM by BDI »

Offline maddoggy

• K5 @ ST. ANTHONY DUNES
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2010, 10:52:06 AM »
so if i understand you correctly, what you have in the pics is a stator coil and flywheel that is ignition and lighting/charging all in one coil set-up? all you need is a custom stator plate and proper ignition components to match the coil and flywheel? that sounds fairly easy. you would have to use a degree wheel to match up the timing correctly for your new stator plate right? if this works out you'll be a hero! set me straight if i'm way off.

Offline BDI

« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2010, 11:18:36 AM »
correctomundo my friend. From what I understand so far If I send These guys my stock parts they will fab up a stator plate and put together the whole thing to fit my needs. It also seems like they can supply the whole ignition to go with it kinda like a PVL set up. If my leg wasn't busted and I wasn't out of work I would start this process immidiately. Danger If you would like to follow my lead on this I would be happy to do a bunch of the talking phone calling and leg work if you would like to go for it. I don't want to do a bunch phone calling and waisting peoples time with no money to spend. I do have spare flywheel and stator I can mail off to these people to see what can be done. These people are right by stewart if you are interested PM me and maybe we can put a cool post together on Kx500 lighting finally. I think this would be a great deed to humanity and I wouldn't mind helping.