Author Topic: light coil idea  (Read 32856 times)

Offline BDI

light coil idea
« on: September 12, 2007, 04:46:56 PM »
I have been kicking around an idea for a home made light coil for a while, So I thought I would talk about It. My idea Is this, I want to get a new stator from a different bike that fits Inside the kx500 flywheel one of the ones with all the poles that looks like a radial airplane engine, a radial coil you could call It. You would need one that has the spark trigger built Into it and the coil that runs the cdi would have to put out the right amount of electricity but you could have It custom wound to the right values.You would have to custom make your own stator plate to bolt It to the engine but that would be easy. This is a picture of a kawasaki majave coil It Is for example only Im not saying It will fit, this one Is from rickystator.com and It puts out 100 watts of lighting power and It still has some empty poles on it.I hadThe one in my crf450x rewound to put out 150 watts. That would be pretty sweet for something that fit under your stock flywheel and mag cover and didn't weigh five extra lbs the trick would be to find the right size coil you would need a good resource some one with a but load of stators that would let you go threw them all looking to see what fit your mag or just some dumb luck and you have one that fits the bill in a box of crap In the garage. Just a idea maybe It will inspire some one or maybe not.

P.S. who knows with some dumb luck that coil might work, It fits the bill If It was the exsact right size
« Last Edit: September 13, 2007, 04:32:47 AM by BDI »
Smoke every cigarette like It's your last and ride like you stole something!!!

Desert Panther

Re: light coil idea
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2007, 05:00:51 PM »
sounds like a good idea. But i am not at all talented with stuff like that, so i'll leave it up to those "in the know". Then, I will end up buying one!  LOL

Offline The Flyin Hawaiian

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2007, 11:03:06 PM »
Back in the late 80s and early 90s, maybe later, Team Green used to use a street bike coil on their Baja 1000 KX 500s. Im pretty sure I saw that in one of the motorcycle mags back then.
A couple of 03 and 04 KXs, a few YZs, 3 PE 400s, a DR and a TS.

Offline demographic

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2007, 06:22:36 AM »
This chap looks like he has a fairly serious lighting kit but its not an Eline stator cover either

I found the pic here...http://www.blinkinteract.com/2006/02/racing_the_baja_1000.html

I copied the photo onto my computer ages ago and typed Charlie Halpin into Google to find some more info but thats it as far as i can see.

Desert Panther

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2007, 08:07:18 AM »
Holy Flying Frog-Bike Batman!  :-o

Now THAT's some lighting! 
With something like that, I could scald the retina of everyone that moves in front of it! I really, (no really LOL )am interested in putting some sort of charging and/or lighting system on my '87.

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2007, 09:33:35 AM »
For the 87 you will need to start with a 90 or newer ignition system. There's no where to mount a extra coil on the 87 stator plate. I have a ignition system from a 90-91 model bike (flywheel,stator plate,coil,cdi box) it only costed me shipping from a member on here(Gowen). If you cover 10.00 bucks for shipping you can have it.
Open Class 2-Stroke Kawasaki KX500
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
Dirt Hammers - Online Off-Road Journal
hughes@dirthammers.com
http://www.dirthammers.com

Offline BDI

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2008, 09:51:38 AM »
This is a yfz450 stator inside a kx500 flywheel. It is a perfect fit and a stator plate could be made for this with the greatest of ease. Now this is far from working but it is a good start for the idea. The stator in my crf450x is of this same design and was rewound to put out 150 watts of power. This would be good enough to run an hid light and charge a battery. Look at all the space between the coils, you could put a ton more wire on this stator.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2008, 09:55:14 AM by BDI »

Motorrad

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2008, 09:56:36 AM »
I have an old dirtrider talking about Rosslers bike..... they were running a stator off of a TZ bike or somthing... Ill dig it out later and post it up.

Motorrad

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2008, 10:17:19 AM »
Okay here it is... first Ill post the entire article in hirez (took pics with my camera)... so you can read the entire article if you wish.

Then Ill post the section that pretains to the lights.

If I was shakey or certain pictures are too blurry to read (me being shakey) let me know Ill retake them...

NOTE: IMAGES ARE "THUMBNAILS" CLICK ON THEM FOR FULL SIZE!! Download them to your computer (after you go to their full size) and you can use your viewer zoom in option to read them....

NOW THE SECTION THAT COUNTS.

« Last Edit: November 15, 2008, 10:36:05 AM by Motorrad »

Offline BDI

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2008, 12:24:54 PM »
These were the predicessors to the eline set up. My goal is to have something that fits behind the stock mag and mag cover. Something that works right. That is a very cool article thanks for posting it.

Motorrad

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2008, 12:28:56 PM »
I figured there was a better way to do it... But it was just interesting... and figured everyone would like the article.

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
  • KX500 is Danger4u2 Returning from light speed pic.
    • KXRiders.com
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2008, 12:55:36 PM »
I'm ready to pony up the cash for a working/dependable lighting coil set up that would fit in the stock stator cover.  The pipe on the KX500AF that AJ builds runs to close to the cover for me to use my E- Line coil.  So it's alter the pipe or alter the stock coil.

BDI,  I count 12 poles (is that the correct term?) on the yfz 450 stator.  Could it be wound in such a way that 6 of the poles would drive the electrical system for the bike and the other 6 be just to power the lights?  In other words 2 separate systems. 

BDI I know you're familiar with the E- Line coil because I bought yours.  But for everyone else, the E- Line coil is separate from the electrical system of the bike.  You remove the nut on the fly wheel and replace it with a threaded magnet that serves as the flywheel nut.  The new housing that E- Line supplies holds the winding.

KX 500 Rider

Offline BDI

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2008, 01:12:44 PM »
Yes it could be wound that way but I do not think it would take six poles to run the bike probably only three. I think what I need to do is call some place like ricky stator and pick his brain. The big problem is the trigger With the yfz stator the trigger is mounted on the outside of the flywheel and there is no room on the kx500 for that. I was thinking that it might be possible to make a small billet housing that would bolt on the outside of the plastic mag cover to house the trigger but then there we are on the outside of the mag cover again and I don't want to be there.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2008, 01:16:19 PM by BDI »

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
  • KX500 is Danger4u2 Returning from light speed pic.
    • KXRiders.com
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2008, 01:20:14 PM »
I'm on the sideline cheering for you to come thru with what's needed.  If you can do it we'll call you BDI Tesla.
KX 500 Rider

Offline maddoggy

• K5 @ ST. ANTHONY DUNES
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2008, 01:28:30 PM »
bdi, could you possibly wrap the pickups around to the front of the coil. then maybe you could mount a small trigger on the inside of the cover. just a thought.  MADDOGGY