Author Topic: What is the compression on a 1993 stock KX 500 in English units  (Read 1466 times)

weldingrod

What is the compression on a 1993 stock KX 500 in English units
« on: September 04, 2007, 12:47:10 PM »
I am new on this site and new to a 1993 KX 500. I had one back in the day but not in a long time and wonder if I need to plan on a rebuild this winter. It also seems to have what I would call excessive crank bearing noise. But I am not for sure if this is typical doing to the higher compression and bigger bore. It seems to run good but I don't no if it is low on compression. It Starts great and seems to get it I may have to small of tire and a lot of tire spinning. Any recommendations are appreciated. Thanks for a site like this

Offline Hillclimb#42

• '97 kx 500, '96 kx 250, '99 KTM 380
Re: What is the compression on a 1993 stock KX 500 in English units
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2007, 01:49:24 PM »
105-164 psi. it is posted on a thread on like the 5th or 6th page. I have the manual at the shop. You need a manual, believe me. This site will fill in the gaps, but alot of things are year and model specific. Plan on the top-end rebuild. No reason to ride without confidence. You don't want to push that beast back to the truck.
 You should be jumping with all you got to start it. If you can start it with a tennis shoe, then you need to go thru it. The good news is, you have an Electro-fuse coating on the cylinder, and if there's no damage, you are looking at less than 200 smacks.