Author Topic: kx500 rims  (Read 2136 times)

Offline sonic

kx500 rims
« on: September 03, 2007, 10:58:20 AM »
Does anyone know if the kx250 and kx500 rims interchange?  I have a 02 500 and see  250 rims for sale but can't confirm (from on-line pics) if they would work without any surprises. I am setting up mine for ice and dirttracking and need a few wheelsets and want to use stock hubs and hardware. Thanks for any info.   

Offline fluffy

Re: kx500 rims
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2007, 11:46:43 AM »
part # for the axels are different,thats not a good sign. go to bike bandit then oem parts they show all the parts with numbers and pics!!!!!

Offline maddoggy

• K5 @ ST. ANTHONY DUNES
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2007, 12:57:24 PM »
from my experience, you'll find that the p/n's are different but they will interchange depending on the year. the newer the wheel the better your chance that it will fit. not sure about the axles though, just as a guess id say that the bearings is where the difference is. Maddoggy

Offline don46

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2007, 01:53:01 PM »
If your talking rims they are the same, with the caveat the some 250 rims had bigger spoke nipple. You can drill them out and your in business.

Now if your talking wheels, thats a different story, some 500 and 250 wheels are interchangeable, some of the older wheels may need to have spacers built. From my experience pretty much 89-02 250 and 89-04 500 on could be made to work easily. the primary difference, older wheels had only 1 drive side bearing and used 22 mm spacers, later wheels used 20 mm spacers. I've used 86 wheels on late model stuff, making my own spacers, which is no big deal, if you opt for something like that make sure they have disc's. I think Kawi is the only supplier for disc's and they are way expensive, so go with the 89 to 02 stuff and make it easy on yourself.

There wa a company called east coast wheels that had Talon hubs for like $125 each, I bought 6 and laced up spare wheels.
Live today, for tomorrow may never come

Offline FactoryPhil

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2007, 03:13:08 PM »
part # for the axels are different,thats not a good sign. go to bike bandit then oem parts they show all the parts with numbers and pics!!!!!

Kawasaki's website is even better. You can access the microfiche from Owner Info \ Parts Diagrams on the left menu.
It's not if you crash ...it's when
I'm on IRC efnet #mp3addics-chat Mechanos or MechServ