Author Topic: pros/cons x-ring chain?  (Read 8861 times)

Offline Polar-Bus

Re: pros/cons x-ring chain?
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2007, 04:20:40 AM »
Chain wax is the worst thing you can use on an off road chain, as it traps dirt. All's i've ever used in conjunction with an O or X ring chain is some WD-40 to lube the outer rollers.
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1
'03 CRG KX500 Shifter kart

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2007, 05:25:29 AM »
O-ring and X-ring chains are for the most part maintenance free. I do use chain lube out of habit. I have used the wd-40 many times. I use the chain lube or wd-40 just to keep the chain from rusting. But their is still metal to metal contact with chain and sprockets so lube is still useful IMO.
Open Class 2-Stroke Kawasaki KX500
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
Dirt Hammers - Online Off-Road Journal
hughes@dirthammers.com
http://www.dirthammers.com

Offline don46

« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2007, 06:39:25 AM »
I knew this would generate some discussion, As I said I don't run O-ring chains as a rule. As far as chain wax, best stuff I've used, and like all lubes you need to use it properly. Yeah, I've used belray, Pj1, motul, kawasaki and others, I hate most brands because of the flinging. If you find something you don't like, don't use it.
Live today, for tomorrow may never come

Offline maddoggy

• K5 @ ST. ANTHONY DUNES
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2007, 08:48:46 AM »
i always use an o-ring chain. if you use a non o-ring chain for too long and it gets worn, it increases in total length. an increase in length means that each link is now longer. that will in turn excelerate the wear on your sprocket more than just normal wear.

whether or not i use chain lube depends on the dirt type i'll be riding in. if im riding a hard packed trail(not much dust) i'll use some bel-ray "superclean" chain lube (awesome stuff). it dries to the touch in a couple minutes , ends up like a dry grease. bel ray says this lube repels dirt and sand but i dont believe that. if i ride in soft fluffy dirt then i clean the chain off and run the chain dry so i dont get any extra sprocket wear from dirt adhesion to the lube. did i mention that i used to work for bel ray? they really do have great lube products. this method seems to work well for me. MADDOGGY

Offline BDI

« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2007, 11:57:08 AM »
regardless of what type of chain you run you have to lube the rollers. On my street bikes O-ring chain after about 600 miles the back wheel will only make one revolution when you spin It on the stand. Right after I lube the rollers with chain lube the back wheel easily make ten pluss revolutions. If you lube a chain any where else other then the rollers all you are doing Is giving dirt something to stick to you can't get grease back inside the pins of a chain where It counts by spraying It all over the out side of your chain. It Is also best to lube your chain when It Is hot from riding because the heat draws the lube inside the rollers. I like to lube my chain after I ride instead of before. I do this even If I plan On washing my bike It helps to keep water out of the rollers then I lightly lube the chain rollers after washing.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2007, 12:05:02 PM by BDI »
Smoke every cigarette like It's your last and ride like you stole something!!!

Offline maddoggy

• K5 @ ST. ANTHONY DUNES
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2007, 12:06:34 PM »
bdi, do you lube the chain even when you ride in the sand or fluffy material?

Offline BDI

« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2007, 12:27:54 PM »
Yes but I do not go crazy with It I only lube the rollers. chain lube Is one of those less Is more things. The did X-ring chain has been on my kx500 sand bike for years It actually came off the kx500 my engine came out of ( my old sand bike) and It Is still good.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2007, 12:30:09 PM by BDI »

Offline Hillclimb#42

• '97 kx 500, '96 kx 250, '99 KTM 380
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2007, 12:36:10 PM »
 I go for a short warm-up ride to loosen the chain and also use the Bel-Ray Super clean. It is that..."super clean". It seems to keep the chain lookig new, anyways. I don't really know how much better it is because I always use chain lube. Oh yeah, WD-40 is good for loosening rust, but is not a lube. Actually ot is corrosive and will help rust. If you use it, you should follow up with something thats oil-based.

Offline maddoggy

• K5 @ ST. ANTHONY DUNES
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2007, 12:44:40 PM »
i agree hillclimb, wd40 will not protect against rust and is not a good high pressure/performance lube. bdi, i do agree that chains need regular lubing but i don't lube mine when i run in sand or fluff. i actually try to clean the chain as good as i can when i run in these types of materials. i just don't like the wear on sprockets that results from dirt/sand sprocket contact. i guess something has to wear no matter what. i've been wrong a time or two. don't think its win/win either way. MADDOGGY

Offline BDI

« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2007, 12:54:46 PM »
Yes I agree thoroughly about the w-D forty. Check out how the sand wares the chain flat over time but dont be fooled this chain Is still good. The chain gets flattened from sand getting between the links and the rubber guides. I try to keep the guides free of lube with brake cleaner and a rag so sand does not stick and cause this but It Is inevitable.

Offline BDI

« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2007, 01:13:21 PM »
If I did not use lube On my chain It would have been toast a couple years ago I assure you. but I lube my chain Then after It sets up I spray brake cleaner on a rag then wipe the chain and guides clean of lube that way their is lube In the rollers but not on the rollers. I also run iron man sprockets that are made from chromoly steel. This one was on my kx500 and ridden In the sand for two years and It was used when I got It. when It comes to chains and sprockets you get what you pay for.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2007, 01:16:19 PM by BDI »

Offline maddoggy

• K5 @ ST. ANTHONY DUNES
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2007, 01:29:40 PM »
thats almost always true, you get what you pay for. i run aluminum sprockets in sand, i know they wear easily and fast but the chain is pricey and the alum. sprockets are fairly cheap. i've noticed my chains last longer ran in sand with that set up. i think that flat wear on the link edge will happen no matter what. its just the nature of that slide plate system on the swing arm of the kx's. on another note, if you run an o-ring chain for 5, 6 or maybe 8 years or more i would carefully inspect the chain looking at the o-rings the best you can looking for fatigued and cracked o-rings. chains can die quick if an oring fails. your sprockets would take a bad hit too especially if your along distance away from your truck. i inspect my chain at least once a year no matter if the bike just sits in the garage. MADDOGGY

Offline BDI

« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2007, 01:47:51 PM »
Im kind of fanatical when It comes to my sand bike. I inspect my chain and sprockets after every ride at the dunes along with every other nut and bolt on the bike I check the engine with a bore scope if I do not take It apart. I even pull the whole subframe just to clean the filter just so sand does not go down the intake when removing the air filter from the air box. then I clean the air box and intake boot with degreaser and water hose. All this goes hand In hand with all the other normal maintenance stuff.   
              P.S. I will have to ask that you please refrain from using the word fluffy actually can we make that a rule or something. :-D :-D :-D
« Last Edit: August 31, 2007, 01:59:43 PM by BDI »

Offline maddoggy

• K5 @ ST. ANTHONY DUNES
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2007, 02:25:18 PM »
ok, no more fluffy :lol:. can we go with "loose" or something? :-D
MADDOGGY

by the way- i found the "filterskins" type material and covered my airbox with it at all openings. it really worked great at keeping the sand where it belongs. on the dune and not in my airbox. something to consider? i know, getting off the thread subject, sorry.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2007, 02:31:48 PM by maddoggy »

Offline maddoggy

• K5 @ ST. ANTHONY DUNES
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2007, 02:39:33 PM »
you guys ever use the "sidewinder" chain/sprocket combo. i've heard great things about them but have never used them myself, kind of expensive too. then again, you get what you pay for. don't know if they offer x-ring chain or just regular o-ring. MADDOGGY