Author Topic: If only it was the crank seal  (Read 2352 times)

Offline kiwikx500

If only it was the crank seal
« on: August 01, 2007, 05:16:46 PM »
Mr Green dealership stripped the 5 hundie heart down to replace the crank seal only to find the "nice honest bloke" that sold the bike to me had put a sleeve in the bore, fixed for non movement by two grub screws and the sleeve about 5mm short of being flush.
Causing the head gasket to blow and tracking a line in the gasket from a water jacket to the bore.

The crank seal was totally destroyed and the housing for it is now oversized, the main bearing has pitting from water, the oil drain plug was fixed mainly with locktite as the thread was down to 1 1/2 turns.

The dealer said the crankcase will need some sort of oversized seal, crankcase will have to be sent to an aluminium welder/engineer and a piece added so plug can be secured probably (he worrying about warp-age with the heat)

Anyone had similar jobs that needed to be done RE the over sized crank-seal and stripped drain plug thread ?

1990 KX 500

Offline don46

Re: If only it was the crank seal
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2007, 06:46:13 AM »
I've seen alot of drain plugs that had heli coils in them, they seem to work just fine. As far as the seal I've not heard of that, but have seen the bearings wallow out the races and end up with sleeves in them. In fact I've seen and heard of quite a few. I think the crank gets out of true and causes the bearings to rock in the races and eventually the wear allows enough movement for the bearing to spin in the cases.
Live today, for tomorrow may never come

Offline fluffy

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2007, 12:31:53 PM »
kx 500 engine at j w s cycles on ebay.700 bucks

Offline don46

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2007, 12:43:50 PM »
kx 500 engine at j w s cycles on ebay.700 bucks

Yep, and you might have the same thing you have. If you plan on keeping the bike I would fix what I had, then you know what you have.
Live today, for tomorrow may never come

Offline MadKaw

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2007, 04:10:00 PM »
HUGHES has one for sale on here in the ads.
Deviate from the Norm!
Father!...The sleeper has Awaken!!!

2001 Harley Sportster xlh1200
'73 Suzuki GT550
'75 Suzuki GT550
'74 Kawasaki Z1 900
'79 Yamaha GT80
'93 KX500*******
'84 Yamaha Riva 180z scooter
08 Q-link Pegasus scooter first new rid

Offline kiwikx500

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2007, 11:10:27 AM »
Cheerz for the ideas and suggestions.

Was a thought another motor and shopping around for the best deal on a motor bike mechanic or getting a mate to do it but decided I have taken that route before and ended up full circle.
The kawai dealer has quoted me US$1150 max to put everything right which seems fair to me in todays market.

At the end of the day when you own the meanest - fastest - powerfullest motocross bike ever built I want someone that knows what they are doing working on it, and as suggested know what Ive got in the end.

Dirty 5 wins The Race To The Sky Here In New Zealand Again, And The Fastest Indian Memorial, 450's never got a look in on the mountain or the beach, not suprising with 20 more horses :-D
1990 KX 500