Author Topic: Busted Kickstarter lever  (Read 10835 times)

Hogwylde

Busted Kickstarter lever
« on: August 17, 2003, 12:02:31 PM »
I seem to remember reading somewhere (here I think before the site switched over) that the kickstarter lever was notorious for breaking as the worst possible moment.  (Happened to me today, hour and a half drive and $15 bucks to get in and all I get to do is piss in their port-a-john.  d**n thing broke trying to get it started first thing!)

Anyways, I seem to remember the advice was to get a kickstarter lever assembly from a newer model (98 and up) KX500 because they were re-designed and are stronger.  Is this true or am I imagining things?  I did check and the part numbers are different for the pre-98 models than the post 98 models.

Thanks all!

Offline demographic

Busted Kickstarter lever
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2003, 09:10:02 PM »
I thought it was the 2002 and later ones.

Anyway I am pretty sure the newer part number supersedes the old one anyway so have a look on buykawasaki.com and get the new part number then order it.

I have not done it myself yet so perhaps it might be better to wait till somebody who has tried it confirms what I have said.

Anyway, Good luck

Offline beastrider500

Busted Kickstarter lever
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2003, 09:30:02 PM »
Happened to me too. I had to push the beast about a half mile back to the truck. Talk about fun! Then of course you get the helpful fellow that suggests bump starting it. :evil:  Can you bump start a 500? I can't. Now every time I start the beast I wonder if it's going to make that funny noise again. So far it hasn't though.
Maybe, just once, someone will call me 'Sir' without adding, 'You're making a scene.'   Homer Simpson

Offline John

• http://www.hallbergs.net
Kick start lever
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2003, 11:54:27 PM »
Tough luck!

Mine broke as well. My bike is an 89'er and I have changed to the newest possible kick start (2002). Fits alright and it seems to be a more robust design.

/John

Rick

Busted Kickstarter lever
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2003, 03:12:34 AM »
Yup, everyone will eventually have this problem, and as everyone who has this problem will attest, it happens at the worst possible time!  My first one happened out in the middle of nowhere.  The second one happened on the start line of the first race of the season, but by that time, I had a spare in the van, so all I lost was time.  Didn't get started until the the beginner wave left, so spent the whole day passing people.  Still won first place on the year (and 4th overall I might add) for the regional series in the Open Expert class, but played catch-up all year because of that dang kick start lever.

When the 2002 models were release, I noticed immediately that the kick start lever had been modified, but since I was buying a new bike, didn't bother to upgrade the 2001 I was selling.  I think you can either replace the whole thing, or just the aluminum lever, but will need to check your particular bike.  I also believe the part numbers have all been changed to the new lever, but you will want to make sure.  No sense buying the old one, just to wonder when it will break again.

As a final note, a KX500 is relatively easy to bump start......if you have a weighted flywheel.  If you don't, you'll need to tow it with the truck to get 'er started.

Rick

Hogwylde

Busted Kickstarter lever
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2003, 05:59:57 AM »
According to Buykawasaki.com, the part number for 98 to 04 kickstart levers is the same and the part numbers for 97 and earlier are the same.
They also don't list a separate part number for just the lever, you have to buy the whole lever and pivot assembly.  Sigh, oh well.

teamgreen500

Busted Kickstarter lever
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2003, 02:17:05 PM »
You can prevent "Kick-starter" failures:

The kickers often fail due to "bad" leverage at the "top of the kick" and, in some cases, at the very end of "the kick".

When the lever is at the very top/pre-engaged...people often end up pushing outward on the lever as well as downward...this creates a load on the "barrel" of the lever (where it wraps around the base/shaft mount) that the aluminum part wasn't really designed for.

Also, when we "Jump" on the lever and it kinda "Slams" into engagement/compression...the same thing...the aluminum lever takes a hellova load.

Same thing when the lever is kicked hard all the way till it stops against the foot-peg...especially when you've got the huge IMS pegs.

My solution: I push the lever gently 'til it "engages" (actually, it's always engaged...I push it to about 10-15 degrees past "straight-up") and Give it a good "JAB": BUT!, I don't let it slam into the foot peg. :wink:

The reason: When you bail during "Vegas to Reno" ('97...Won it!, '98 also...Am. Over 25...) ...and jump up and pick up your bike as fast as you can...and BREAK the KICKSTARTER out in the MIDDLE OF THE DESERT...and scream every cuss word you can while killing yourself (trying and eventually succeeding at...) push starting your bike in a SANDWASH!!!!! Well, you learn how NOT to do that again!

So, I haven't broken one since...oh, and of-course, the guys at Team Green had one at the next pit and put it on in seconds...and laughed at me for bringing in the broken one in my fanny pack...Duh!

Oh, and a motor with clean KIPS valves and a good top-end doesn't take much of a kick...let it get old and..well...you know.

kawdude

replacement lever
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2003, 03:49:47 PM »
I can't say I have broke the lever yet but I can say that I'm waiting for it to happen.  Anyway, the other day I was browsing the local dealer showroom and noticed that either the KDX220 or one of the KLX models (can't remember) have a cast lever...not aluminum.  In looking closely I think that the shaft is the same.  Has anyone tried this mod?
_Matt

dholder

Busted Kickstarter lever
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2003, 09:13:03 AM »
Hello, New to the board, but have been riding the green beasts for 13 years( 87,91,94,01).  I have broke 5 or 6 over the years and the latest 1 I purchased appears to be beefed up around the knuckle at the bottom.  Try to kick down and not out, this is how i screwed up several times.  cheers.

mikesmith

Busted Kickstarter lever
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2003, 10:17:09 PM »
Well I thought this wasnt going to happen to me since Ive never had a problem with my kick starter with all the miles Ive put on it in the last 8 years.But today I was just 20 minutes into my ride on some veary tight single track when I stalled it half way back to the road.I was on an angle where I couldnt get a straight kick,and "ping" was what I heard as I saw the knukle of my kick starter fly 10' into the air.I was by a drop and got a lucky bump start and rode out,other wise it would have been a long hard push to to another place open enough to bump it.I was thinking my day was over but decided to keep on going and finish my ride,I just had to ride where I could bump start if I killed it.

Sharc

Busted Kickstarter lever
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2003, 04:34:51 AM »
Lucky you got off so easy...! I had an '83 CR480 and broke 4-5 kickstart levers, then found an XR500 steel one that fit. I just ordered a spare for my 2002 K5 just in case. The older I get the more stuff I carry...camelback, GPS, cell phone, camera, spare car keys, parts, tools....I'm gonna need a trailer pretty soon. Me and my buddies are the "old" guys that gear up, gas up, and wont be back at camp for 2-3 hours...Still rippin' though, and love my K5's motor, 'specially ringing it out like a crazy fast 125...

Sharc

mikesmith

Busted Kickstarter lever
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2003, 07:27:46 AM »
I got my new lever today,looks thicker  than the old one where it broke.I dont think they make the old ones any more because theres only one part #.

mikesmith

Busted Kickstarter lever
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2003, 07:48:28 AM »
I just put my kick starter on before I go to work and took the lever off the knukle,no grease.I didnt think there would be any(a small dab on the spring)so just because its new doesnt mean its ready to use.I like to use Moly grease, and never sieze the splines so it comes off when you need it to or it may rust itself on.

Benson

Busted Kickstarter lever
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2003, 09:36:36 AM »
Talk about an upgrade.  I think Kawasaki nailed the kickstarter lever this time,  it's like comparing Johny Holmes to Mickey Mouse in actual Girth.

I just bought two old style units as a back up to carry with me,  but I don't think I'll need them.  I'm going to Ebay them away and recoup the money.  I'm that sure the New kawi upgraded unit will endure my Prosthetic Leg and it's Super Human amounts of Rigidity and the ockward angle it aproaches the lever at.
If I get a back up lever I want it to be the upgraded unit.

Nice Job kawasaki.....

And just think,  it ONLY took them 14 Years!!!!! :roll:  :?:

I use "anti Sieze" on the splines.

kawdude

Busted Kickstarter lever
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2003, 03:54:53 PM »
How about a picture of the newer style lever?  I have a 94 and I'm interested how much of a difference there is.
 :?: