Author Topic: FLYWHEEL WEIGHT  (Read 4653 times)

Offline monster malibu

FLYWHEEL WEIGHT
« on: July 19, 2007, 02:18:57 PM »
I was wondering if my bike (87 KX500) would perform better if I got one of those Steahly flywheel weights? I looked on the Steahly site and they list one for $90 and it is 16oz.

Offline fluffy

Re: FLYWHEEL WEIGHT
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2007, 02:26:00 PM »
perform better? if going as fast as you can as fast as you can isnt what you want sure. change to a g2 throttle tube.

Offline alan

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2007, 04:05:14 PM »
You may want to do a search on this topic! We have beat it to death a number of times!

Basically it make it easier to start and spools up a little slower less explosive and smooths out the power band. Great for trails maybe not so desirable for desert and dunes.

Alan :-D :-D
« Last Edit: July 20, 2007, 02:31:10 AM by alan »
Sand - Dirt - Dunes = Fun
       04- 700V - 01- KX500
        08 TeryX 2012 KX450F

Offline monster malibu

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2007, 02:13:04 AM »
I like the way my bike is now, I was curious if it would help. I forgot to do a search. Thanks for the replies guys.

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
  • KX500 is Danger4u2 Returning from light speed pic.
    • KXRiders.com
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2007, 03:24:50 AM »
I put a weight on my 500 and like it.  Easier to start.  Easier to do wheelies.  Takes the eye blistering snap out of the bike.  Does not stall in the woods as much.  Less clutch work in the tight wooded trails.  When we stop for a break I try to park in a spot I can coast down a hill to restart.  Second gear bump start is no problem with the weight.  I had no problems in the dunes.  If your racing you won't want a weight.  But if your like me,  out to have fun and be able to get up the next morning and go to work,  you will like the weight.  And yes Alan is right we have actually keel hauled this subject.
KX 500 Rider

Offline serafin

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2007, 04:16:38 AM »
A couple more questions concerning the flywheel weight.  Compared to the reed spacer is the performance the same?  I have the reed spacer and the only headache is that its a tight fit.  Has anyone used both mods together?  If so, what was the outcome?

Serafin

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
  • KX500 is Danger4u2 Returning from light speed pic.
    • KXRiders.com
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2007, 04:43:27 AM »
Yes,  I did the reed spacer, FMF Gnarley pipe, and the flywheel weight.  I'm after more low end and that's what it gave me.  My bike will still go faster than I want to go.  Just doesn't get there as quick.  Not a good comparison,  flywheel weight gives more mass to the flywheel and crank assembly therefore the RPM's don't spin up as fast.  Reed spacer puts the tips of the reeds back out of the turbulence of the air/fuel mix in the crank area before it goes into the combustion ports.  Thus giving it a little more low end power.  That's my lean on the spacer.  One of the racer guys might have a little more insight about it.
KX 500 Rider

Offline Polar-Bus

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2007, 11:47:18 PM »
A couple more questions concerning the flywheel weight.  Compared to the reed spacer is the performance the same?  I have the reed spacer and the only headache is that its a tight fit.  Has anyone used both mods together?  If so, what was the outcome?

Serafin

I have both mods done. With the spacer you effectively move the torque snap a bit higher in the torque curve. So you smooth out the bottom end hit, and also gain a broader midrange. The flywheel wieght also smooths out the torque down low and simply allows much more traction to be put to the dirt. These two mods make the 500 SO much easier to ride and far more versatile to ride over more technical terrain. If you ride in the mud, these mods are even more benificial. But also factor in all the guys' opinions who do a lot of sand riding, as they don't like weights.
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1
'03 CRG KX500 Shifter kart