Author Topic: Anti-freeze in Exhaust ?  (Read 2994 times)

Offline kiwikx500

Anti-freeze in Exhaust ?
« on: July 18, 2007, 09:51:15 AM »
Pulling motor out at moment to have crank seal replaced, a cup of water/anti-freeze ran out the exhaust, last time I took it out was the first time I had seen the white smoke that is talked about being a sign of a leaking crank seal.
The bike was struggling at low revs but was running alright mid to top range. I came to a small rise and turned the bike around and it died and I could not restart it (5km from van :-o)
Do remember before the second time out topping up fuel tank with petrol that had been sitting in my damp garage for months (bad move) and did see water in petrol when drained the carb, radiator level had dropped a cup.

Am I looking at something major ?

Thanks

1990 KX 500

Offline BigGreenMachine

Re: Anti-freeze in Exhaust ?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2007, 10:05:08 AM »
Could be simple like a blown base/head gasket letting antifreeze into the combustion chamber. Could be bad, antifreeze washes the fuel/oil mixture off the cylinder walls letting the rings fry and potentially ruin the cylinder wall. Check your big end bearing and crank bearings while your in there.

Chances are if one seal is bad they both are....which means at low rpm the motor is getting more oil from the tranny side crankseal making the bike rich and then at mid/top rpm its getting more air from the magneto side crankseal making the bike run lean which will feel like it has more power and at the same time potentially lean seize your motor.

James

Offline Hillclimb#42

• '97 kx 500, '96 kx 250, '99 KTM 380
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2007, 10:12:26 AM »
 If you need crank seals you probably need piston and replating anyways. Like Big green was mentioning that the anti freeze is causing havoc with bearrings and mixture. Bottom and top rebuild. Better to be safe than sorry, and will be cheaper in the long run. I always use an exhaust plug. It eliminates moisture from condensation and pressure washer. Not to mention mud daubers or mouse nest. A clogged or wet exhaust can be tough to find, but can definately cause a world of trouble.

Offline kiwikx500

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2007, 10:19:43 AM »
Thanks guys much appreciated. :-) Mr Honda had the right idea with the CR 500 allowing for the crank seal to be replaced with the motor still in the bike. oh well dirty 5 quicker, life's a balance.

Good day to all.
1990 KX 500

Offline kaw rider

• Cool your engine with water not fuel
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2007, 03:54:18 PM »
if you are doing crank seal then you should do the crank and cylinder.

Offline kiwikx500

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2007, 05:57:23 PM »
Yeah Cheers, Famous following words - dude on the online auction said it had been a reliable bike and had piston etc done, no mention of buggered crank seal  :| so piston probably not done either.
Will get Mr Green motorbike shop to look it all over

Cheers
1990 KX 500

Offline don46

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2007, 04:52:01 AM »
Your issue may not be a leaking crank seal at all, maybe it's the head gasket, that would explain the white smoke. I think I would inspect the cylinder, make sure it's not damaged, inspect the piston for the same, if all looks good install a new head gasket. I've had a seal go bad, it does display the symptoms you describe but then when you add the antifreeze in the pipe, hmmm, a head gasket would be the least expensive, if you go to the dealer and say you have a bad crank seal, of course they'll replace it and say thank you $$$$$$$please.
Live today, for tomorrow may never come

Offline kiwikx500

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2007, 11:33:11 AM »
Cheers Don, I'm usually weary of bike shops ripping me off too. The dirty 5 is also using gearbox oil at a generous rate.
The crank-seal was diagnosed by the experts in here when further info was given.

http://www.kxriders.com/forums/index.php/topic,2785.msg19976.html#msg19976

A head gasket blew the first time round reportedly from the guy I got the bike off when his so called bike shop did the job.

I rung a few bike shops here to get the current jobs done and have decided togo with the one that has the most to lose and hopefully the most experience - a Kawasaki dealership - been quoted 6 hours to do the crank seal (plus parts) they are also going to install a moose racing gasket kit so will do water pump kick start etc.

Sounds pretty fair to me and the kawai dealer the same price as others even cheaper than some.

Surprised a kawai dealership is allowed to use the moose racing kit, guy said they been using then for years to keep costs down, are moose racing products good ?

Take it a leaking head gasket would not use gearbox oil ?
1990 KX 500

Offline Polar-Bus

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2007, 11:54:07 PM »
Pulling motor out at moment to have crank seal replaced, a cup of water/anti-freeze ran out the exhaust, last time I took it out was the first time I had seen the white smoke that is talked about being a sign of a leaking crank seal.
The bike was struggling at low revs but was running alright mid to top range. I came to a small rise and turned the bike around and it died and I could not restart it (5km from van :-o)
Do remember before the second time out topping up fuel tank with petrol that had been sitting in my damp garage for months (bad move) and did see water in petrol when drained the carb, radiator level had dropped a cup.

Am I looking at something major ?

Thanks

Here is some generally rules of thumb with your questions:

A/F in the exhaust= blown head or base gasket.
milky trans fluid= blown water pump seal.
dissapearing trans fluid and no external leaks= blown clutch side crank seal.
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1
'03 CRG KX500 Shifter kart