Author Topic: Powervalve culprit?  (Read 1698 times)

Offline Good

• Yo.
Powervalve culprit?
« on: July 18, 2007, 09:48:44 AM »
Well, my KX5 has never really ran right power-wise.  It feels like a torquey 250 with NO top end or overrev.  Anyway, like I've said before, I'm no mechanic, but when replacing my clutch a while back I noticed the outside keeper clip, on what I think is the powervalve arm, was missing.  I replaced it but it didn't seem to help and I haven't checked to see if the new clip is still on or if it too has given up hope.

The bike runs great (just with no power), and starts 2nd or 3rd kick when cold and 1st when hot.  It falls flat on it's face at mid/upper RPM.  The bottom end is much 'torqueyer' ( :lol:) than my buddy's '99 CR250 but his bike KILLS mine on the top-end, and the bottom end difference isn't as pronounced as the top end difference so I really think his CR250 has more power than my KX5 on average.  I have more riding experience and more skill than he does so I outride him anyway, but that power thing just sux.  It's not about competition, it's about being power-hungry :evil: and I just need more power.  I actually like riding his bike more because his bike has more power, and handles better, and is lighter, has better suspension, and, and, and...   :oops:

Where would you guys start?  My bike is stock I think with the exception of a dinged-up FMF Gnarly and FMF silencer.  It seems to run hot also.  Longer (1-2 miles) straight high RPM speed blasts leave her puking green.  I weigh 165lbs all geared up and I'm at roughly 3,000ft. elevation.  Thanx for any help and did I mention I'm no mechanic?  Basics are welcome!   :-D

Offline BigGreenMachine

Re: Powervalve culprit?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2007, 09:57:33 AM »
Definately sounds like your powervalve is not working. That or your main jet is plugged. Do not ride the bike wide open if your powervalve is not working, it could ruin your cylinder.

http://www.kxriders.com/forums/index.php/topic,3450.0.html

Offline Good

• Yo.
Re: Powervalve culprit?
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2007, 10:02:59 AM »
Oh durn!  My little shaft thingy doesn't go in and out freely... But I don't have a 10mm nut, that I remember, just two c-clip keepers...  I'll have to research this, thanx for your help.