Author Topic: what spark plug  (Read 2288 times)

Offline maddoggy

• K5 @ ST. ANTHONY DUNES
what spark plug
« on: July 20, 2007, 04:46:05 PM »
hey kx5 guys, wondering what spark plug you guys are all running. i know what im running now but i want to know if a different plug would make much difference. perhaps a BR8EGV? refer to the plug chart thread if youve not already seen it. didnt find a whole lot of info on this subject when i searched. MADDOGGY

Offline Hillclimb#42

• '97 kx 500, '96 kx 250, '99 KTM 380
Re: what spark plug
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2007, 12:57:45 AM »
BR8es. Anyone here that pays attention to which direction the electrode is pointing while mounting. My buddy takes notice of where the electrode is pointing in relation to the "BR8es" on the insulator and makes every effort to have it pointing to the front of the bike. I think he's lost it, but he thinks I'm ate up for not doing it. Also, I have ran into a box of BR7's but am not sure if thats hotter or colder plug and if switching is good or bad or any noticable difference.

stewart

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2007, 01:05:52 AM »
stick with ngk,,,,stock compresion b8 or b9  higher compresion  b9 to b10

Offline alan

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2007, 01:48:30 AM »
I use Iridium Spark Plugs around 8 or 9 winter -summer! Nothing but the best for my baby! :-D :-D :-D :-D
Sand - Dirt - Dunes = Fun
       04- 700V - 01- KX500
        08 TeryX 2012 KX450F

Offline maddoggy

• K5 @ ST. ANTHONY DUNES
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2007, 02:47:55 AM »
thanks for the replies gents! hillclimb#42, that thought of electrode positioning is the real deal. i know race car teams have special washers(measured in thous.) that they use to get the positioning right. if your going to do it you want the electrode to face the intake side. the racers say that it helps achieve a more powerful detonation which gives a slight power increase. thanks again guys, im off for st. anthony's Idaho. ill let yall know how tha trip went when i get back home. a k5, a paddle tire, and dunes, doesn't get much better than that right.  MADDOGGY

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2007, 04:56:06 AM »
I run the "cheapie" BPR8ES (projected nose), about $2 at Lordco.  Run clean and last a season.  I think the site consensus is that the BR8EIX is the most popular and best performing.   Plug indexing is done in 4-strokes (race cars) to align the open side of the plug with the intake valve.  I am not sure if indexing does anything for a 2 stroke since the charge enters evenly from each side and the rear.  I guess having the plug opening facing the rear "might" have some small effect.  If anyone has some info I'd be glad to hear it. Cam.