Author Topic: Aftermarket Fuel Tanks?  (Read 4295 times)

Offline demographic

Aftermarket Fuel Tanks?
« on: August 15, 2003, 09:56:50 AM »
I am thinking about getting a larger capacity fuel tank for my KX and am not sure what's best.

I want a clear tank (well I think the colour is called neutral but I want to be able to see exactly how much juce is in the tank) and know that Clark and IMS sell them.

Those of you with Clark or IMS tanks can you give me your reports on quality and fit, also whats sparkplug access like?
Will I need to buy an aftermarket fuel tap? (I think you lot call it a petcock?) and are they wider than stock?

Thanks in advance.

Scott

Offline Paul

• Top Dawg
    • KX Riders
Aftermarket Fuel Tanks?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2003, 10:23:22 AM »
I've owned both a Clarke and an IMS. The Clarke - in my experience - has more capacity 4.1gal US vs. 3.6gal US for the IMS. The Clarke is taller and sits lower on the frame BUT it is slimmer than the IMS. Feels ALMOST as slim as the stock tank.

I have had one IMS tank taht split on me, but have never had a problem with the Clarkes. I can change the plug with the IMS but not with the Clarke on th ebike - no big deal for me, I still have the same plug since February 2001. Who says 2 strokes foul plugs :D

I prefer the Clarke and at $100 (US) plus cheaper than the IMS I will only by the Clarkes. The one on my bike is the pic on the homepage, the part number is 1412 in neutral. It's good for 90 - 100 miles, or approximately 140 - 160Km, I think I got that right :mrgreen:

mikesmith

Aftermarket Fuel Tanks?
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2003, 08:14:11 PM »
I was wondering,did IMS replace the tank after it split?I just like to know if a company stands by its products.

Rick

Aftermarket Fuel Tanks?
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2003, 02:58:10 AM »
I have run the IMS tanks on every bike I have owned, but have never run a Clarke, mostly because of sponsorship from IMS.  However, both tanks have their advantages and disadvantages.  For instance, as Paul indicated, the Clarke holds more fuel, but sits really high above the frame.  Like Paul, I am not sure about changing the plug with the Clarke tank installed, but it is not a problem with the IMS tank.

For my needs, I have settled on the IMS tank that uses the KX250 shrouds and a different pipe configuration.  The advantages of this tank is that you get 4.2 gallons that sits really low in the frame (lower center of gravity equals better overall control).  This tank is also much more slim than the other tanks on the market, and plug changes are a snap.  Like Paul, I really don't have problems with fouling plugs, but put in a new NGK BR8EVX before every race.  When you travel 5, 10, or 20 hours to a race, you don't want to get a bad start because of a failure of a $10 part.

Back to the subject at hand, the up sides are:

1. 4.2 gallons that sit lower in the frame than other tanks
2. slimmer tank gives a better feel.
3. I like the looks of the KX250 shrouds better than the KX500, and graphic options are endless.
4. The new pipe required with this tank, is stronger than anything else on the market, period.
5. the new tank uses the bottom radiator mount on the water pump side of the bike as the top mount, so the problems with the top mount under the seat are gone.
6. On the stock pipe with the old large capacity tanks, some folks have had touble with the pipe touching the bottom of the tank after a crash tweaks the pipe.  The new pipe that goes with this tank is routed much differently, so this potential is gone forever.

There are two down sides to this tank/pipe.  First, with the new routing of the pipe, the pipe will touch your right boot.  This was weird a first, but after just a couple of hours riding, you will never notice it again.  The second is the cost, as you need to purchase the tank, shrouds, and pipe all at the same time.  However, if I were running the old IMS tank, and needed to replace my pipe, I would swap to this pipe anyway because of the added strength of this pipe.  

In a nut shell, if I had it to do all over again, I would still opt for the package with the new IMS tank, KX250 shrouds, and pipe, as the advantages far outway the cost of the kit.

Good luck in your quest.

Rick

Offline demographic

Aftermarket Fuel Tanks?
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2003, 06:20:02 AM »
Hmmmm

You have got me thinking now

Rick, is there any chance of you posting a picture of this setup?
also as english gallons and merkin gallons are different can you tell me how many litres it holds?

Christ, I hope my girlfriend doesn't spot this post cos she thinks I have spent enough on this bike already :wink:

So roughly how much would this setup cost a non sponsered pleb like me?

Offline alan

• Administrator
Aftermarket Fuel Tanks?
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2003, 07:36:24 AM »
Quote from: demographic
Hmmmm

You have got me thinking now

Rick, is there any chance of you posting a picture of this setup?
also as english gallons and merkin gallons are different can you tell me how many litres it holds?

Christ, I hope my girlfriend doesn't spot this post cos she thinks I have spent enough on this bike already :wink: Just tell her you need it so you can make sure you make it back to her! :lol:

So roughly how much would this setup cost a non sponsered pleb like me?
Sand - Dirt - Dunes = Fun
       04- 700V - 01- KX500
        08 TeryX 2012 KX450F

Offline demographic

Aftermarket Fuel Tanks?
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2003, 10:26:55 AM »
Quote from: alan

Just tell her you need it so you can make sure you make it back to her! :lol:

Her house is only 150 yards from mine and I live in town so I doubt she woulg go for that excuse :(

Rick

Aftermarket Fuel Tanks?
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2003, 01:51:01 AM »
Here is the info on the web page with a real picture.

https://secure.ziptyracing.com/loader.php?state=load&module=docs&page=display&nav=main&task=prd_detail&PART_NO=KXKit&PHPSESSID=ecb48a3b31753097eabe2b3f7f6b551b

If this does not work, just go to www.ziptyracing.com and follow the links to the KX kit.

As for liters, according to my handy, dandy conversion chart, there is about 3.8 liters to the gallon, so 4.2 gallons would be roughly 15.9 liters.

As a note, I also run a KX250 rear fender, so the bike makes a lot of folks stop and look twice.  In fact, until I kick the big green monster over, quite a number think it is a KX250.

Rick

Sharc

Aftermarket Fuel Tanks?
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2003, 05:53:37 AM »
The ZipTy's cool but seems pricey. I got the IMS for $199 from RockyMtn, I think 3.6 gal. Works with any pipe, stock shrouds, and uses stock fuel valve/petcock. Came with new large mouth gas cap. Easy plug access too. Works great, a little big at the seat junction, but not too bad. I like it and it lasts for more miles than I do.

:lol: Marc the Sharc :D