Author Topic: ANOTHER DUMB QUESTION  (Read 4724 times)

Offline BigGreenMachine

Re: ANOTHER DUMB QUESTION
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2007, 08:08:57 AM »
Yeah Don I see what your saying. The clymer manual illustrates your point perfectly. Lots of work to bolt on the newer cylinder.

I'll update my carb and get it coated again vs paying out for a newer motor. My 88 will do fine. I only liked the idea of being able to get gaskets easier as well as having the option of finding cylinders easier.

I would imagine the newer cylinders have a smoother transition from low to top end power? My non-powervalved 250 would come on instantly and hit top speed as quick as you could bang the gears. Will the 500 come on strong and like a lightswitch or be more mellow and electric?

Offline don46

« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2007, 09:58:39 AM »
I like the older cylinder, they may be a bit more radical, but I think they are easier to mod, especially if you want to big bore one. I'm using a 88 cylinder on one of my newer top ends with no problems. The ports are bigger and more ho**da ish. I would say the newer motors come on smoother, whether its the cylinder or the smaller flywheel or a combination of both I'm not sure, as I recall my 89 (smaller flywheel, newer style cylinder) was really quick, but that was almost 20 years ago so my memory could be mistaken.
Live today, for tomorrow may never come

Offline BigGreenMachine

« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2007, 10:52:21 AM »
So the newer KX500's have a bigger flywheel then older years?

Easier to bigbore hey?

Offline don46

« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2007, 03:25:37 PM »
Yup, 89 and older have a smaller flywheel, the 88 and older only have the 2 KIPS valves so they can be bored and re-plated without having to weld the third KIPS.
Live today, for tomorrow may never come