Author Topic: Snowmobile oil for KX?  (Read 4140 times)

Offline fullbore55

Snowmobile oil for KX?
« on: June 23, 2007, 03:11:51 PM »
I was wondering if anyone has ever attempted to use 2-stroke snowmobile oil in their KX?  I found a full case of Artic Cat 50:1 2-stroke oil in my basement from several years ago.  I don't think the oil will "go bad" but I'm not sure if snowmobiles rev as high as a KX.  Any ideas? 

Offline quincyman

Re: Snowmobile oil for KX?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2007, 03:11:15 PM »
I will be watching this with interest. I sold my snowmobile a couple years ago and still have a gallon of 2 stroke oil left. I asked my Honda dealer if it would run Ok in my 2T bikes. He said no reason not to. I still have been hesitant in trying it. I hope someone who has tried it can give a definitive answer to your question. If it is OK I would think running it 32:1 would be a must. I suspect it will not run as clean but that is not based on any real knowledge on my part.

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2007, 04:29:10 PM »
The big difference with snomobile oil is that it is designed to run at a much colder temperature than normal 2-cycle oil.  It is often designed for injector systems as well, and therefore is thinner to run through the injector system at cold temps.  My vote is no.  It will work but I have found out long a go that the "cheapest" oil to use in the long term is always the BEST oil.  I wouldn't feel bad about running it in my weed wacker but the KX not. Hope this helps. Cam.

Offline Hillclimb#42

• '97 kx 500, '96 kx 250, '99 KTM 380
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2007, 04:46:25 AM »
 I second that. It has to be thin. There are alot of two-stroke oils out there, but I prefer synthetic. See if you can sell it to a fellow snow mobiler and use that as a discount for some real good oil. Remember your cylinder and crank are lubed by the two stroke oil. This is not an area for changing things around. Quality high octane fuel, and your two stroke oil should be a constant to keep bike tuned and to eliminate variables in tuning issues. Even if you change two stroke oils that are both high quality synthetics, you should completly drain and rinse gas tank and gas cans to avoid any adverse reactions. ( Just my own theory on that)  :wink:   

kix500

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2007, 06:16:49 AM »
i have run arctic cat apv synthetic for two years now with no troubles. 97 kx5 40:1 91 oct gas and runs sweet.

Offline BigGreenMachine

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2007, 09:13:40 AM »
Find some Klotz BeNol or Maxima 927 and run it at 32:1.

More oil means a better ring seal/more compression and more protection for the big end bearing and cylinder wall.

Two strokes NEED oil to run so why take it from them by running a 50:1 ratio?

Offline fullbore55

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2007, 10:01:51 AM »
Thanks for all the replies...Anyone up for a free case of oil, LOL :-D

Offline don46

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2007, 03:28:59 PM »
Run your Artic cat oil, it will not cause you any problems, thinner or not it doesn't matter once diluted with gas. Snowmobiles are much harder on bearing than a bike, while the rpms may not be as high they are sustained for essentially the whole ride. I myself use phillps INJEX oil in my snowmobiles and in my motorcycles as well, I've been using it for years, it burns clean lubricates well, My 2t 125's and 250's turned much higher rpms than a k5 and never had an oil related failure. look on the container, if it is TC-WIII you can run it in your bike with no troubles. Back in my younger days I ran yamalube, I ran out and my dad had Artic synthetic oil, so I used it, I swear my machine had 10 extra horsepower (OK maybe it just felt like it)
Live today, for tomorrow may never come

Offline Arigato

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2007, 04:36:01 PM »
It depends on where you are riding and how you are mixing it...40:1 in the woods and you would be safe with any type of oil....The same ratio at 6,000 feet in the sand, 5th gear pinned,  on a 95 degree day.....I'd run Yamalube. :mrgreen:

Offline don46

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2007, 09:46:57 AM »
Run the Artic oil, a snowmobile is run under the most adverse conditions, much more so than a dirt bike even in sand, at 6000' pinned in fifth gear. Snowmobiles are dead weight, and are set up to turn 8000+rpm constantly, you may run at that rpm for 20-30 minutes, I daresay a dirt bike is ever run that hard for that long.

If you don't want to run it send it to me I'll run it and won't even bat an eye.

Incidently I wouldn't at this time of my life run yamalube in my weedeater, it's the worst crap out there

Offline quincyman

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2007, 02:10:33 PM »
This is some good discussion and it is very interesting that we have a couple who have tried this snowmobile oil for years with no negative effect on their dirt bikes. If I ever forget to buy the HRC1 I won't feel bad using my snowmobile oil every now and then.

Offline BigGreenMachine

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2007, 03:11:36 AM »
I know a lot of snowmobilers that run Amsoil in there sleds with zero problems. If its tough enough to withstand an F7 motor then it will put up with your 500 just fine.

I have two bottles of Interceptor left that I'll be running at 32:1 until I run out then I'm going with 927 or BeNol.

Offline Arigato

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2007, 08:37:54 AM »

Incidently I wouldn't at this time of my life run yamalube in my weedeater, it's the worst crap out there

Why do you say that?

Offline don46

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2007, 02:36:44 PM »
yamalube, builds more carbon than any oil I've used. It wouldn't be an issue in my race bikes as they are freshened up every couple of months. Look into the oil, you'll find that oil rated TC-WII is the best you can get, of course having said that I realize that there will be many responses stating why such and such oil is best, and frankly I would say most oil is good, it's a personal preference. I have ran redline oil in a highly modified 125 with very good success, but ultimately it wasn't any better than the Injex.  Any oil will work, use what makes you feel comfortable.

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2007, 09:14:55 AM »
"The Truth Has No Agenda"