Author Topic: KX500 BIG BORE KITS  (Read 23404 times)

Offline monster malibu

Re: KX500 BIG BORE KITS
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2007, 01:22:13 PM »
Hey Don46, Where did you get the 560 kit from? I really like the idea of that instead of a 540.

Offline kaw rider

• Cool your engine with water not fuel
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2007, 04:50:40 PM »
i have a exhaust port set up that's crazy. full width main port kips valve and big sub ports. :-D

lucky my welder does all the alum. welding for all big cylinder platers.

Offline don46

« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2007, 11:23:18 AM »
Hey Don46, Where did you get the 560 kit from? I really like the idea of that instead of a 540.

There is no Kit, it's a do it yourself with the help of JBSracing.com  (England) thye used these in sidecar racing, and he did indicate I could go in excess of 600 cc by boring and stroking.  I wanted something somewhat dependable so I opted for the 560.
Live today, for tomorrow may never come

Offline monster malibu

« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2007, 11:44:49 AM »
Hey Don46, can you tell us what's involved in the 560 do it yourself motor, I'm lost. I checked out the jbsracing.com and found a site about boat racing, I mustv'e done something wrong.

Offline monster malibu

« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2007, 02:16:46 PM »
Hey Don46, I got the email you sent me. The 560 idea sounds complicated and I'm new to the bike seen. I think I'll just go with the big bore kit for now. Thanks for all the input guys. DECISIONS, DECISIONS :? :?

jigggawatt

« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2007, 03:03:05 PM »
Hell I would like to make my 500 a 350 . I must be getting old :-D

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2007, 01:53:55 AM »
Getting good clean jetting will improve the power output greatly and it's cheaper. Do you have the stock carb for an 87 kx500? I am having a hard time finding jets for the VM38 carb. All the info I can get is that the carb and jetting for that year bike was special made and no O.E.M parts available. I'm looking at buying a new VM38 from tuckrocky so I can get the jetting under control on my bike.
Open Class 2-Stroke Kawasaki KX500
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
Dirt Hammers - Online Off-Road Journal
hughes@dirthammers.com
http://www.dirthammers.com

Offline monster malibu

« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2007, 03:18:01 AM »
The jetting seems to be right on, the bike starts good and runs down the trail like a freight train. I just want more power/torque. Pretty much everything I own with a motor on it is not stock in any way(sled,4x4 truck,car,bike). I live in a small town and get some interesting responses when I tell people I just bought a KX500. My brother took my bike for a ride and said he doesn't like it. His exact words were "THAT THING'S TO F#%^*(! FAST, YOUR'E GOING TO KILL YOURSELF ON THAT"

Offline BigGreenMachine

« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2007, 08:21:33 AM »
Getting good clean jetting will improve the power output greatly and it's cheaper. Do you have the stock carb for an 87 kx500? I am having a hard time finding jets for the VM38 carb. All the info I can get is that the carb and jetting for that year bike was special made and no O.E.M parts available. I'm looking at buying a new VM38 from tuckrocky so I can get the jetting under control on my bike.

I just sold my two season old Mikuni TMX 38mm to a fellow triker. Great carb.

Mikuni VM should take mikuni large hex main jets hey?

Offline kawsf

« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2007, 11:58:18 PM »
If you want easiest big bore go with the 540.you can get the piston from la sleeve.
They have a copper head gasket that?s 60 thousands thick, it will smooth out the power.
The head needs to be cut 3mm bigger, and grind the power valve to fit.
Just send the cylinder to get replated to that piston. You don?t want to use the steel sleeve.
As for the carb use a number 8 slide, it will give you a lot better off idle response.
This set up is a lot smoother and way more bottom end than kx 500, been running one like this for 12 years.
If you need to know more about this setup just let me know.

Offline monster malibu

« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2007, 03:36:13 PM »
Hey kawsf, can la sleeve do all the work I need?  I like the idea of sending everything to one place for the work. If they can't handle the whole job, where would you reccommend I send my parts?

stewart

« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2007, 03:49:40 PM »
i had the la sleeve deal for big bore ......but the late cylinder ,89 and newer does not look thick enough to sleeve in my opionion  there are some better combos for all out power  but i guess we all have to try our own way

Offline monster malibu

« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2007, 12:25:58 AM »
Hey Stewart, what combos would you recommend? I don't know a whole lot about what can be done to this bike, it's already got a pipe, rad valve with spacer, porting, racing clutch, 13/47 sprockets. These improvements were done to the bike before I got it, that's why I want to go to the 540.

stewart

« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2007, 12:53:29 AM »
what pipe theres a lot of diffrence..  i dont care for rad valve use v force 2   ,,  porting can really slow you down if not right or speed you up if right .. and piston mods help so does 44 lectron  if right.. and head mods can be help full

Offline monster malibu

« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2007, 01:49:29 AM »
The bike has a Pro Circuit Platinum pipe on it. Is there any reason you don't like the Boyesen rad valve?  The porting was done by the previous owner and I thought about having it checked out, where would you recommend? What are piston mods? Where can I get a Lectron 44 from? I thought about having my carb bored but I like the idea of the 44 instead. What head mods do you recommend? Is there a place I could send my topend or motor out to for the mods that you trust? Don't get me wrong, this bike is fast(to me), I just want more power/torque like everybody else. Thanks guys for all the replys, I need alot of help and ideas with this bike to get it the way I want it.