Author Topic: Which is the fastest bike stock older or newer kx500 or cr500  (Read 24709 times)

chrisorbics

Hi I have heard so many different opinions on which 500 two strokes are the fastest. I have heard that the old cr500 are faster than the newer cr500s. I know that the 1986 has the power valve and the last ones that honda made did not have a power valve for some reason. Where they trying to mellow the bike down. Does the same thing apply to the kx500s. Do the older ones have more power than the 2004 models. I have a 1986 kx500 and I know it is fast as hell and can blow anything away but I have never had it matched up with another 500 two stroke bike. Most people are too scared of a bike this powerful.

Does anybody know which one is the fastest. I also heard the hondas had better torqe off of the very bottom end. Give me your opinions and some facts. I was thinking that maybee the old bike are faster than the newer ones because people started getting hurt. I know that is why honda, suzuki, and kawasaki stopped making their 250 two stroke quads. They started getting in legal trouble because these "vehicles where too fast for the public."

Chris

Offline Mick

Re: Which is the fastest bike stock older or newer kx500 or cr500
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2007, 04:57:08 AM »
 :evil:
What a dubious topic for a KX500 forum...muahahaha

The older CR's were faster than the late models.  I don't beleive that is true of the KX.  As far as the late model's go a CR made 56 hp at 5800 rpm while the KX made the same thing at 6500. (credit to Dirt Bike magazine)
I ride a CR500AF.  V-force reeds, the PC exhaust, it's got a 39mm carb, a balanced crank and bla bla bla...My Dad also rides an '89 KX500 that he's had for over ten years.  With much the same motor mods and a few more still.
Near as we can tell they're the same.  As far as seat of the pants A-B-A tests go they're equal.  Even dragging the two repeatedly, swapping riders between runs, the two are neck and neck.  My CR does cross the line first every time, but it's not even by a bike length.  And we all know if we had another 15 meters to run the KX would nose ahead.
It is just a feeling, but it's our opinion the KX makes more power.  Every time it fires it seems to lunge ahead harder then my CR.  Like it's generating 10 more foot pounds of torque at the crank.  But the thing is my CR just builds power sooner.  It revs free'er.  Like it's not held back by anything.  Twist the throttle and it explodes into orbit.
Easy to understand I think.  The CR has a shorter stroke and no power valve.  Stands the reason to me it builds power sooner.  The two seem so much alike and yet they acheive the same thing in two different ways.  Smooth and torquey or quick and revy.

« Last Edit: June 17, 2007, 05:04:10 AM by Mick »
1989 KX500
2003 Service Honda CR500AF

stewart

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2007, 05:50:17 AM »
in my opinion  the kx is faster (  i HAVE BEEN DRAG RACING my x 500 s  AGIANST  many other cr 500 s since the mid 80s  and have owend my own cr 500s )  and i feel the kx moter makes more power  and it has more potential for incress than the cr 500 for hp  (   after the last 3 or 4  hundred dyno tests )

Offline Mick

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2007, 06:26:57 AM »
If we make this a "potential for power" topic.  I don't think it's a matter of opinion.  The KX motor is capable of producing alot more then the CR.  But I think the two with relative equal build are the same.
1989 KX500

Offline Hillclimb#42

• '97 kx 500, '96 kx 250, '99 KTM 380
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2007, 06:50:24 AM »
 Of course the kx has more power!!!!! I think taming it is the difference. The Honda has no power valve and shorter stroke. Why would they make stroker kits if that wasn't more power? Kx can pull taller gear and the same gearing farther between shifts than honda. The trick is to control the power, gearing, tire pressure and other variables and ultimately get the hook-up on the ground and not tear off the nobbs spinning. They slowed the Honda down, I believe to make it more rideable. Rideable is faster in a drag race at times, but doesn't everyone need some extra power that is a little radical now and then?
     "Green-Blooded"

Offline Mick

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2007, 01:02:32 PM »
 :-D If by better you mean faster motor then yeah.
If there is ONE thing on the green 500 that isn't s**t...it's the motor.  So sad the rest of the bike is crap.  I'm looking forward to AJ's knew work.  I love the KX's motor alot, if the KX500AF handles even as good as my CR I'll be trading in big red.  I still think Honda is head and shoulders ahead of Kawasaki in chassis development.  But it'll be interesting to see how the KXF roller handles the big motor.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2007, 01:07:09 PM by Mick »
1989 KX500

chrisorbics

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2007, 03:22:53 PM »
Hi I definately will say that with all of the bikes I have ridden my 1986 kx500 does not handle even close to as good as anything else. Other bikes I can throw around a lot easier into turns. It could be that I am still getting used to the bike and the power but It definately does not have to do with the year. My old 1982 rm was easier around the turns. I could just throw it around. My kx500 just feels longer and harder to turn. Like I said it could just be me though.

Chris

chrisorbics

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2007, 05:35:13 PM »
Hi wow nice bike.

Chris

steve1965

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2007, 05:55:12 PM »
I think from talking with CR owners and what they ran into against KX500s that the KX is faster then the CR. A missile is a missile no mater how you look at it and like it was said in an earlier post this bike is made to live in the dessert and it definitely rules the dunes. I love my KX and yes it is harder to turn and through around but you have plenty of power to save your a%& when needed. And yes my bike is scary fast when wide open or even close to wide open. I ride a trail by I 10 and regularly pass traffic go green.

torqsteer

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2007, 10:37:54 AM »
hi guys, just joined up today after coming across u all by accident in the u.k. and couldnt help but have my say on the kx5 or cr5 issue. i own an 86 kx5 (will post pics soon) with an  fmf gnarly  on a 360 main jet, and when ridden with vigour sees off my mates' 98 cr5 (pc pipe and rejet) on any day in the month, and although hes got me in the handling dept i wouldn't swap even tho his is worth more if my life depended on it.dont get me wrong, she has me cursing when she doesnt want to play but thats cos shes due a full tear down very soon.i was going to rebuild using a kwak piston but after seeing some of the pics i aint so sure.anyway, i feel relieved to know there are plenty of die hard big bore stroker nuts out there even if the atlantic seperates us, cos all my mates are into them easy to ride faggot diesels.if they only knew what they were missing.....

chrisorbics

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2007, 06:26:25 AM »
Hi I saw something about diesel bikes made over here is the us for the military I think. They were saying the the magazine that the company was going to start selling them to the public. The magazine was diesel power and I thing the bikes were around $6,700. Sounds like a lot of money for something that is slow and heavy but they claimed it got around 100mpg. I wonder it it is a two stroke diesel.

Chris