Author Topic: Any clutch lever tips to tame the beast?  (Read 3364 times)

Offline Hillclimb#42

• '97 kx 500, '96 kx 250, '99 KTM 380
Any clutch lever tips to tame the beast?
« on: May 22, 2007, 08:22:48 AM »
 My k5 is a little rough in the real tight trails. It seems older bikes just have a stiffer clutch pull than newer models. Compared to other mfg's, the design seems to have more friction in the whole mechanism.
 I have seen clutch ease, which is a little box that gives you some advantage, and also hydraulic clutch lines (kinda salty). What do you guys use, prefer or recommend?

Offline don46

Re: Any clutch lever tips to tame the beast?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2007, 09:17:51 AM »
I extend the clutch arm 10mm, make sure the bearings on the clutch arm are good, use a good cable. An if that isn't enough you could get a Ho**a perch and lever, the ratio is different than a Kawi. My clutch feels like a 250
Live today, for tomorrow may never come

Offline ebers17

• RaceShotz Photography and WNY Harescramble Forum
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2007, 01:37:37 PM »
What don46 said is dead on!  The extended clutch arm and all that other stuff.  The lever is definatly a plus, I'm using an MSR AOF clutch lever and perch, which uses a Honda lever, and it made a world of difference.  Another really good thing to do is to keep your cable lubed.
MSR, Steel MX Optics, FCR Suspension, MotoOption, Budget Racing, Bulmans Cycle Center, RaceShotz.net

Offline Hillclimb#42

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2007, 09:50:38 AM »
 Awe man, Honda parts? I get upset when my parts get shipped in a honda box. They are OK, I guess, but my good friend and fellow hillclimber rides Honda. Not sure if I want to hear any new propaganda from him about which mfg is better. What do you mean extend the lever? Not sure how it would help, since my fingers aren't at the end of this one. Oh, you mean arm down on transmission. Cool. Got a pic of that?

Offline Platypus

• Platypus Racing
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2007, 08:43:09 PM »
Here is a pic of how team green did it.

jigggawatt

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2007, 01:47:32 AM »
I wish I could find one of those setups!!!

Offline MadKaw

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2007, 06:22:17 AM »
thats pretty sweet!
Deviate from the Norm!
Father!...The sleeper has Awaken!!!

2001 Harley Sportster xlh1200
'73 Suzuki GT550
'75 Suzuki GT550
'74 Kawasaki Z1 900
'79 Yamaha GT80
'93 KX500*******
'84 Yamaha Riva 180z scooter
08 Q-link Pegasus scooter first new rid

Offline Hillclimb#42

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2007, 07:45:12 AM »
  Wow. that is a beauty. Tell me that is a brand-new bike, because my 97 aint ever gonna be that clean again.
I think everyone is dead on about their tips. Thank you. I ride, not engineer much. Have a brother who welds and could get with him to make parts, but I've seen too many first attempts at re-engineering factory parts. If I had it work and look as nice as Platypus' set up there, of course I'd do it. Is that something you made Platypus?
  I wound up getting a Clutch-ease as a present, and it seems to work really well. Ruined one attempt on the hill because of the adjustment wasn't set well for me, but worked that out quickly. Managed a second place on second run.
It has three settings that you can change quickly. I was a little concerned about getting enough stroke on the pull on any mods, but it works well with no lurching when in gear. Very smooth and easy to hold in. ( I decided against the Honda perch and lever, even though my buddy has extras) :-D

Offline Platypus

• Platypus Racing
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2007, 11:49:06 PM »
No I did not make that.  That is Destry Abbot's last KX500.  He races off-road for Kawasaki and that is a "works" part that extends the lever 10mm.  That little piece does not take extreme engineering but does require a chunk of billet aluminum and access to machine tools and digital calipers at a minimum. I don't clutch enough to realize any problem with the stock setup.  Maybe it's just my huge forearms! 

Offline Mick

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2007, 12:48:22 PM »
The MSR Raptor perch works better then Ho**a stuff...for those of you who don't like that four letter word.  My 500's clutch pulls so light it's like cheating.  The Motion Pro cable helped a bit too.
1989 KX500
2003 Service Honda CR500AF