Author Topic: Replacing countershaft seal on my 97 k5, where's my o-ring?  (Read 3097 times)

Offline Hillclimb#42

• '97 kx 500, '96 kx 250, '99 KTM 380
 Recently rebuilt my 97 kx5, and after first weekend ride, already had a countershaft seal leaking. The clymer book I have covers alot of bikes. It says there's an o-ring behind the seal, but mine was not replaced or that applies to other models. On my 250 there is an o-ring, but the spacer has a place for it. The 500's spacer is is the same on both ends and it doesn't look like i'd have enough room to add an o-ring and still get the clip on the sprocket. Can anybody help a guy out?

Offline redlined_KX500

• redlined_K5
Re: Replacing countershaft seal on my 97 k5, where's my o-ring?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2007, 12:10:42 PM »
I  went through the same ordeal with my 97 K5 shortly after I bought it.. 

I ordered the main seal, spacer,o-ring and circlip. Took less than 15 min to switch out and end of problem.  I carefully used a dental pick to remove old one and a big deep well socket to press new one in.

New seal did seep for a few minutes into first ride then it's been tight ever since.  If your chain is rubbing case slightly there is a great post elsewhere in forum on how to fix. Basically you machine a groove in the sproket then double the o-ring to space sprocket away from case.
Don't be scared

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2007, 09:37:47 AM »
Remember that the oring is only there to stop seepage from between the spacer and the shaft.  If there was no spacer the oring would not be required. The seal only seals against the outside of the spacer.  Just thought I would share some useless knowledge. Cam.

Offline Hillclimb#42

• '97 kx 500, '96 kx 250, '99 KTM 380
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2007, 04:49:03 AM »
 Thanx again guys, this site kicks ass! I really appreciate the feedback from the real experts around the world. My problem was that I just had it rebuilt and it leaked on first ride. I had ridden it  thru alot of new trails, so I assumed that I got somethng wrapped around the sprocket and tore it. When I got the new seal, the old one came right out, but there was no o-ring. My manual covers like mid-80's thru early 90's, 125's, 250's and 500's. I have some extra gaskets and o-rings so i tried a temporary fix with an extra, but it held the sprocket out too far to get the clip in the groove. On my 250, my spacer has a groove in it to accept the o-ring, but the 500 has a square shoulder on both faces. I wondered if it got an o-ring at all, (Which I know now that it does) I assume it must be pretty thin, because the clearance is very tight. Gonna be pulling it back out again to get it right. This time I have a dental pick to pull it out too, tanks to Redlined 's tip. Later!