Author Topic: Who does wheels?  (Read 4764 times)

Zombie

Who does wheels?
« on: July 28, 2003, 10:48:46 AM »
Ive been seeing some cool - looking blue anodized rims on some of the bikes, and I want to ask, who laced your rims? How much and how long did it take? Can you put an 18-inch whell on a 19"s hub? (for the rear).

-Z

Offline Paul

• Top Dawg
    • KX Riders
Who does wheels?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2003, 05:59:47 PM »
The blue hoops are Excels, they take a couple hours to lace up and yes, the 18" hoop fits nicely on the 19 hub... with the correct spokes of course :lol:

Biggreenmonster

Who does wheels?
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2003, 01:15:14 AM »
UH...the only way to descibe lacing wheels is almost like playing with triangle lego's..hehehe...You can do it if you have a few tools.Try a bicycle wheel that you have laying around(if you got one..).call all your local shops and find a good price for lacing the rim on....hmmmm...I need a tylenol  for just thinking about it for a second.Good luck,you can do anything if you think you can!!!

Offline alan

• Administrator
Who does wheels?
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2003, 02:41:05 AM »
Lacing wheels takes more patients than I have! I have a buddy that has a dirt bike accessory  business in he makes it look real easy! As far as me doing it "forget it", so find someone like that in your area, its well worth the money. I feel the same way about putting on graphics! I bought a new set of graphics for my 01 and that was six months ago and guess what their still in the package, so I am going to take them to my buddy to install for $40!

Alan :D
Sand - Dirt - Dunes = Fun
       04- 700V - 01- KX500
        08 TeryX 2012 KX450F

Rick

Who does wheels?
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2003, 06:39:25 AM »
Lacing a wheel is really not that hard, and all you need is duct tape, two screwdrivers, a GOOD cresent or spoke wrench, and tire irons.  Here is the simple steps:

1. remove the tire and wheel from the bike, and remove the tire.
2. remove the old spokes and rim.  Set up a video camera to document the removal just in case you forget how the spokes go from the hub to the wheel.  Just don't tape over the wedding pictures.
3. Install the new wheel and spokes, but DO NOT tighten the spokes yet.
4. put the whole assembly in the swing arm, and tighten down the axle nut as if you were getting ready for a ride.
5. Using duct tape, tape one screwdriver to the front of the swingarm in front of the rim.  As you turn the wheel assembly, you will be able to see the difference front to back as you tighten the spokes.
6. Tape the second screwdriver to the front of the swingarm, pointing to the side of the rim.  This will help you gauge the wheel runout as you tighten the spokes.

The goal is to have the distance between the front of the rim and the first screwdriver equal as you rotate the rim.  You also want the same distance to the second screwdriver as the rim is rotated.  Of coarse, you will also want to check and make sure the rim is centered between the inside edges of the swing arm.  

Really does not take long, and kind of fun...

Rick

Sharc

Who does wheels?
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2003, 05:25:18 AM »
I did my rear wheel and it came out real nice. The spoke pattern is confusing, so I numbered a pattern of holes in the hub 1 thru 6 (or was it seven...?) with a Sharpie so I wouldnt forget the pattern. There's also an inner/outer pattern - which spoke goes on the inside where they cross. The best advice was lightly snug all spokes, then tighten 1/4 to 1/2 turn at a time (REALL SLOW...) and tighten opposite spokes - not one then the one next to it. And dont over-tighten....it can blow your hub. A little under tight can be snugged up after a little riding.

Try it, you'll probably get it right - if it gets crazy throw it in a box and dirive it to a shop. My shop quoted $50 to lace, $50 to true....thats a lot of prime rib....

Sharc

teamgreen500

Who does wheels?
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2003, 06:48:57 AM »
Hey now,
I don't want to get all Jessie Jackson up in here; but, what've y'all got against Black-Wheels?

Uh, Rick...you forgot two tools:
1. Ice Cold BEER!
2. BFH :lol:

Manny

Offline demographic

Who does wheels?
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2003, 06:58:58 AM »
Quote from: teamgreen500
Hey now,
I don't want to get all Jessie Jackson up in here; but, what've y'all got against Black-Wheels?

Uh, Rick...you forgot two tools:
1. Ice Cold BEER!
2. BFH :lol:

Manny

Got nowt against Black wheels, My Talon hubs are black but when I bought my wheels they didn't have black Exells :(

I got silver rims instead and at trade prices as well :D

Offline John

• http://www.hallbergs.net
Who does wheels?
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2003, 07:27:36 AM »
Check this out, black Exel...
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2434783380&category=10464

Doesn?t the color ware off? I mean, my rims look like s**t but I couldn't care less as long as they do the job. :D

/John

teamgreen500

Who does wheels?
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2003, 07:37:30 AM »
I have a set of Black rims that were buit in '98 on Gold Talon hubs. They're fading around the edges a little; But, they still look pretty good.

Those Talon hubs look like new!
Must be British integrity!

Manny