Author Topic: After rebuild ride report  (Read 2217 times)

jigggawatt

After rebuild ride report
« on: May 13, 2007, 02:37:06 AM »
I just went through my 01 KX500. I split the cases checked and rebuilt anything that needed it, put a thick head gasket and flywheel weight.  I also sent out the susp. had it resprung and revalved. Yesterday I went with a couple of buddies to the local mountains. We rode a double black diamond trail. They were riding a Ktm 450 with a autoclutch and a drz. They wanted to try some tough trails . So we did. I can get through the nasty section in about 45 min. It took 3 hours and 45 min yesterday. We all made it to the end. I think they had a good time . One of them said " We followed you up those trails like sheep to the slaughter''

I had to get the bikes over the top of the more nasty hills for them. They were tired to the point of not being able to pick up their bikes. I came around one corner and one is upside down in a tree :-D After having to put their bikes over the hills . I feel in love with  the 500. It made perfect power. It started on the first kick every time ,and felt like a 100 pounds lighter . I could start in the middle of a nasty no traction hill, and just motor over the top with no drama. The only downside is the fuel mileage.

Thanks for all of the setup help! the bike works flawless . I really thought I would like the KTM more. The autoclutch isn't for me . The 500 was just perfect. I've ridden a Cr500 for years . As a trail bike the Kx is a 100 times better!! I think I've ridden about every 4 stroke made. They work fine for most stuff. When the trails get real nasty . . I can get them through the same trails , but with alot more effort. I wouldn't trade my 500 for anything .So I think I'll keep the 500 for awhile.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2007, 06:09:44 AM by jigggawatt »

Offline MadKaw

Re: After rebuild ride report
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2007, 03:12:52 PM »
that's just heart warming. a litle 500 love goes a long way!
Deviate from the Norm!
Father!...The sleeper has Awaken!!!

2001 Harley Sportster xlh1200
'73 Suzuki GT550
'75 Suzuki GT550
'74 Kawasaki Z1 900
'79 Yamaha GT80
'93 KX500*******
'84 Yamaha Riva 180z scooter
08 Q-link Pegasus scooter first new rid

Offline Platypus

• Platypus Racing
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2007, 04:04:41 AM »
Good to hear jiggawatt!  Next time you are going to the mountains let me know.  Races are few and far between now and I had the luxury of missing this weekend because I was given the wrong prescription Friday for my contact lenses.  Wake up at 5:30 all pumped because I just put new IMS flight series pegs and rubber on the 500.  Pop in the new lenses and I can barely see any better.  Could not get them exchanged until 9, race starts at 11 and it takes me a little over 2 hours to get to Red Mtn. so no race for me.

jigggawatt

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2007, 09:59:27 AM »
No racing That sucks, we'll have to line up a mountain ride soon.