Author Topic: Lost my clutch yesterday.  (Read 4057 times)

Offline Good

• Yo.
Lost my clutch yesterday.
« on: April 24, 2007, 12:55:38 PM »
So a buddy and I are out freeriding looking for some natural jumps and trails etc, and I noticed while transitioning from one spot to another, my clutch started to slip.  Bummer.  I kept riding and within a half hour, she was almost totally gone.  My dad was my mechanic and I've never done the mech work.

You guys have any tips?  Also, the local shop doesn't have anything in stock.  Do y'all have any recomendations for a quality online place to buy from?  Thanx,

Tim. :-D

stewart

Re: Lost my clutch yesterday.
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2007, 03:31:27 PM »
buy a aftermarket kit with steels not aluninum plates  like stockers are and get the better springs  with the kit from barrnett

Offline MadKaw

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2007, 04:20:04 PM »
you can get the Tusk kit from www.rockymountainatv.com for a good price. they have the stiffer springs too. just got mine in the other day. they look good.
Deviate from the Norm!
Father!...The sleeper has Awaken!!!

2001 Harley Sportster xlh1200
'73 Suzuki GT550
'75 Suzuki GT550
'74 Kawasaki Z1 900
'79 Yamaha GT80
'93 KX500*******
'84 Yamaha Riva 180z scooter
08 Q-link Pegasus scooter first new rid

mazstro

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2007, 06:16:25 PM »
my 2002 just had a new barnett put in it and i have the stock one in excellent shape that your more than welcome to have with springs and all if you just pay the shipping

Offline Good

• Yo.
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2007, 10:37:51 AM »
Thanx for the replies guys.  Mazstro, thanx, but I think I'm gonna get that Tusk kit.  I don't think it has kevlar friction plates but for $50!!!  I can't beat it.  It does have the steels though that stewart recomended.

Offline don46

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2007, 10:52:39 AM »
I am of the opinion that you get what you pay for, $50 seems way cheap to me. I typically use the stock fibers and Barnett steels and springs, and I don't have clutch issues. I wouldn't be afraid to use a Barnett, they've been around for a long time, I just haven't used them.
Live today, for tomorrow may never come

Offline Good

• Yo.
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2007, 06:42:03 PM »
OK, got the Tusk kit today and installed them.  Going riding tomorrow, I'll let you guys know what I think for a first-day impression.  I already have to adjust my cable WAYYYY out.  The old plates were badly worn, and they had aluminums that were thin!  Tusk Kit looks good, we'll see.

Offline Hillclimb#42

• '97 kx 500, '96 kx 250, '99 KTM 380
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2007, 10:04:43 AM »
Hey, that happened to me after using a synthetic motor oil. I think it coats the plates and makes it too slick, and the heat of riding gradually makes it worse. Sometimes I revert back to what is good for a four-stroke mentality and good intentions have disastorous effects!!!!

Offline Good

• Yo.
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2007, 06:12:47 PM »
OK, the Tusk kit seems really good!  The clutch seems harder to pull, but other than that everything seems perfect.  It has really good slippage, really good disengage and REALLY good hookup.  No complaints so far.  The clutch held tight even under a full-throttle (stuck throttle!!! damaged cable) 4th gear blast with both brakes on full still digging a trench!  I'm using ATF-F and changing after every-other ride.  No complaints. :-D

Offline FuriouSly

• the "Base Camp"
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2007, 07:07:59 PM »
happened to me after using a synthetic motor oil. I think it coats the plates and makes it too slick, and the heat of riding gradually makes it worse.....Hillclimb#42

Exactly... thats what a synthetic is supposed to do is help with heat, lubrication, and chemical break down...  but in a clutch it is not too good for the above stated reasons.  You run the clutch hard under load with a fully synthetic or a friction modifier additive you will inevitably have clutch slippage.  Full syn or additives are best left for the isolated oil system in a motor for cam train/piston lube.  But in a 2S the oil is only for the clutch/tranny.  Best to use a gear lube specified for clutch use of your manufacturer and model.

Been there.... Done that....    :roll:

Sly
« Last Edit: May 10, 2007, 07:25:07 PM by FuriouSly »

Offline MadKaw

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2007, 03:16:46 PM »
hey good, glad the Tusk clutches are working out good for ya.
Deviate from the Norm!
Father!...The sleeper has Awaken!!!

2001 Harley Sportster xlh1200
'73 Suzuki GT550
'75 Suzuki GT550
'74 Kawasaki Z1 900
'79 Yamaha GT80
'93 KX500*******
'84 Yamaha Riva 180z scooter
08 Q-link Pegasus scooter first new rid

Offline maddoggy

• K5 @ ST. ANTHONY DUNES
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2007, 07:09:57 AM »
sounds like a wild ride you had! thought i'd mention i use atf as well and change after every ride. the oil is cheap to change and changing often helps cut down on the maintenence. :wink: MADDOGGY

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2007, 08:28:57 AM »
The Tusk Clutch kits has been in my 500 for about year and half with great results. I'll buy another today.
Open Class 2-Stroke Kawasaki KX500
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
Dirt Hammers - Online Off-Road Journal
hughes@dirthammers.com
http://www.dirthammers.com