Author Topic: Hate flat power.  (Read 3169 times)

Just4fun

Hate flat power.
« on: June 17, 2005, 03:08:49 PM »
Ok is their anyone here that HATES flat power curves??? I guess im kinda old school but I get no adrenaline rush at all from flat power bands, I miss the arm ripping front wheel lifting, steep power curves, the kinda power that brings the front wheel off the ground and carrys it at the top of the band with out blipping the throttle to lift the front.
I love my K5 but HATE the flat power, its has gobs of power but its to well spread out-another words its got great power everywhere BUT no real hit.
I like to feel the top end hit pull to a peak and have not been able to get this so far from my K5. I dont want to spend a bunch of money trying to achive somthing that it just might not do for me so im looking for some thoughts on this. This is what ive tried so far to get closer to what im looking for.
first mod was jetting from stock, bike responded. and was happy with the time spent. crisp instant throttle response top end that never stops revving. -though no hit.
second mod and this one i know counters what im looking for but i herd so many good things about it I couldnt pass on more power just in the wronge place-however at this time i did not know i was going to have a hard time building a sharp top end power curve. Anyways I tried the reed spacer idea and well without rejetting I instantly felt more bottom end and easier starting as reported however my top end was noticably gone, rejetted again got probably 95% of my topend power back-while giving up a bit i think from where i was jetted previously on the bottom so the gain on bottom evened out to about the same as i ended up giving from the top very slight performance increase or decrease depending on how you look at it. (If you like top or bottom end power.)
third mod. didnt someone say that the Procircut pipe not the second vr. the origonal was supposed to be a top end pipe??? well im currently running this pipe and silencer and well here is the deal more bottom end, it will run a bit lower in the rpms than it would before, no mid range its just a smooth pull into a lesser topend it seemed to make an already flat band even flatter, ive not had the chance to rejet it again yet so i know ill be getting my top end back to where it was but I also know thats exactly what im going to get is topend power back to where its always been.
We have a total of three of these bikes in the family and some of the mods on those influance some of my decisions on what im not looking for and that is boysen reeds and cage fmf fatty pipes, big bore kits.
things im interested in trying but would like to know from others that have done these mods first if its as clear as night and day diffs after these are v-force reeds, top end port work. And yes ive considered the fact that yes the reed spacer is probably countering the pc pipe, ive just yet to have enough time to try taking it off and rejetting with just the pipe. mostly because i know im not going to be satisfied. im looking for a 250 like powerband but in a 500cc power version.
Gaining low to mid range power in these things seems to be simple but trying to gain a considerable amount of top end is proving harder to do. I also know im not feeling alot of top end power because of the awesome low and mid range power these bikes have but know matter how stronge the bottom to mid is I ALWAYS have to have a peeky topend its my riding style and im lost without it.

hoopty

Hate flat power.
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2005, 03:44:08 PM »
You should have bought a CR500

delusionised

Hate flat power.
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2005, 05:38:36 PM »
Yeah, I rode a 1985 CR500 with stage 4 top end porting, rad valve, fmf fatty, oversize carb- There is some HIT! on that thing, It is the fastest dirtbike I have ever ridden, but it had drum brakes! lol, If you want hit You gotta port , I run fmf fatty and vforce and am happy with the results, any way good luck and keep us posted when you find the combination that give you HIT!

Offline gowen

• Resident Newbie
  • Global Moderator
  • www.KXRiders.com
Hate flat power.
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2005, 05:50:10 PM »
I'm all about the top-end hit and I've done alot of diffrent stuff looking for the biggest explosion possible out of the KX. I'd say the #1 would be the PVL ignition. :-D By god it is crazy! Second was porting by Egorr, then third would be a rad valve along with a FMF Desert pipe. :-) All those combined put an old ass CR to shame and will take a so called CR maniac to the limits of unreal power.... Ok, I'm tired.. Goodnight. :-)

Offline gowen

• Resident Newbie
  • Global Moderator
  • www.KXRiders.com
Hate flat power.
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2005, 05:51:43 PM »
Did I mention PVL? :-)

Kawadougie

Hate flat power.
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2005, 03:17:06 AM »
I ride my KX500 in everthing from enduros where I'm slogging up muddy hils to open desert and have never lacked for power.  I like a good hit too but mine has to be right off the bottom so I can loft the front wheel over logs and quickly pass riders in open areas.  It really works for the "Point and Shoot" riding style that I love.  I've read of kart guys and road racers using this motor and getting a lot more than stock horsepower but of course you would lose some of your low end power.
     If I were in your shoes and looking for more snap I would send the cylinder and head off to Eric Gorr have him port it for top end power / increased compression and bolt on a 40mm carb.  Get rid of the intake spacer and either run a Bill's pipe or a Pro Circuit Platinum.  C12 race gas and make sure your life insurance is paid up.  :shock:

Just4fun

Hate flat power.
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2005, 11:31:02 AM »
Yeah ive researched the pvl ign. system before but concluded that I would not like the "spring like" bottom end as trade off.
as far as lofting the front end over obsticles my subconsious is programed through years of riding to use the topend of the powerband to do this and thats where my problem is. Ive tried to reprogram my mind to use the bottom to mid instead and im surviving this way though im not nearly as fast or as effectlive compared to a topend bike. I guess im at the point of being set in my old ways and dont think ive got enough 500cc riding time left in me to retrain my mind. I think my BIGGEST problem is jumping trying to use bottom end power mixed with the exact amount of speed to launch is messing me up, i find it hard to balance the two out to be predictable in the air believe it or not its easier for me to balance the two in the topend of the band with the engine screaming and using gear selection to determine my launch speed.
Id be perfectly happy if the bottom and mid stayed about stock with a large increase in topend. I could deal with that.
Your comments are helpful in this matter Since I dont have as much exp with the KX as most you in here. I just sent my backup topend out to Gorrs the other day with some notes on what im looking for when it comes back ill assemble it without the reed spacer jet it up and hopfully it gets me closer to what im looking for.
Thanks for your suggestions.

Offline kaw rider

• Cool your engine with water not fuel
Re: Hate flat power.
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2007, 04:08:18 PM »
what is the biggest carb size you can run before you lose your buttom end power.

Offline Good

• Yo.
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2007, 04:32:26 PM »
I totally agree with the author.  My 5 falls on it's own face about 2/3 up to where I feel it should.  Basically where the 250 powerband starts...

When you find what you're looking for, please post it so the rest of us power junkies can follow.  :-D

stewart

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2007, 04:33:52 PM »
depends on your compresion ratio  41.5 mm work okay on pwk  lectron 44 much faster when right ,,,,,ps my bike pulls harder on top than any 250 or cr500