Author Topic: KX head sealing question  (Read 2677 times)

Offline hillclimber147

KX head sealing question
« on: May 06, 2007, 06:16:39 AM »
Has anyone not used a head gasket and just gone gasket sealer? I'm in need of a quick compression boost and don't have the time to have the cylinder shaved down. How much jump in compression would one expect from not using a head gasket?

jigggawatt

Re: KX head sealing question
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2007, 08:27:24 AM »
I don't think it will seal . At the very least , I would think you would need a copper gasket will the right sealer.

Offline demographic

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2007, 10:58:25 AM »
You could get it machined for O rings?

Offline don46

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2007, 02:59:36 PM »
how thick is your copper gasket 1mm? you could probably modify a stock thin gasket to fit your 89.5 mm bore. Easier still would be to have the head cut down, what is your compression? How much Squish do you have?
Live today, for tomorrow may never come

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2007, 04:31:16 PM »
I did that exact thing on my last road race bike, a watercooled 2-cyclinder 350.  In that case I milled the head, tossed the head gasket then lapped the head to the cylinder with valve griding compound.  Used some kawasaki bond for a head gasket.  I wasn't expecting it to work but it never leaked in the two years I rode it!!  It's worth a try.  I think the trick is in the lapping. Once the surfaces mate well it doesn't take much gasket material to achieve a good seal. Cam.

Offline mdw471

• Wolbrink Race
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2007, 12:42:11 AM »
KXcam

was it a rz or an lc....i can also vouch for the fact that it works on an LC

i wonder if the one piece, two barrell head might offer a greater mating surface than the KX?

Mark
for more information about the World's Fastest Dirt Bike, www.wolbrinkrace.blogspot.com

Offline hillclimber147

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2007, 12:47:35 AM »
Thanks guys for the opinions. I'm building a "KX 560" with a CR500 rod and 91mm piston. I had to move the cylinder up 5.5mm for the piston skirt to close the exhaust port at TDC. The head, combustion area, was milled out to copy a CR500's head, but the volume was only taken out to 52cc not 60cc like the CR500, because the water passages were getting close. So I held off on milling the cylinder in order to verify what the compression would be. And like I said above it only came to 110 lbs. Unfortunately I have finals this week and a hillclimb coming up so I'm scrambling trying to get this done in time! Afterwards I'll tear it down and have the cylinder milled down.

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2007, 04:08:27 AM »
MDW,
 That is a good point. It was the RD350LC.  A bit different from the KX in that the 4 cylinder studs go thru the cylinder and head vs the KX which has cylinder mounted studs, although more and radially spaced. Might make a different in the type of clamping effect the head gets. Still though I think it should seal - there is likely more issues with too little squish clearance than with sealing. Cam.

Offline demographic

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2007, 05:53:49 AM »
Thanks guys for the opinions. I'm building a "KX 560" with a CR500 rod and 91mm piston. I had to move the cylinder up 5.5mm for the piston skirt to close the exhaust port at TDC. The head, combustion area, was milled out to copy a CR500's head, but the volume was only taken out to 52cc not 60cc like the CR500, because the water passages were getting close. So I held off on milling the cylinder in order to verify what the compression would be. And like I said above it only came to 110 lbs. Unfortunately I have finals this week and a hillclimb coming up so I'm scrambling trying to get this done in time! Afterwards I'll tear it down and have the cylinder milled down.

91mm piston?

Would that be a 2mm oversize CR piston then as I have never seen a KX piston bigger than 88mm?