Author Topic: Why wont it lift?  (Read 3000 times)

K5RACER

Why wont it lift?
« on: July 23, 2003, 07:12:52 PM »
Ok guys heres a stupid one for you, I used to ride a YZ 490 and if any of you have any exper. on a 490 you will understand what im saying, Anyway Ive grown used to being able lift the front end when ever i wanted for the terain or jumping i could determine how much air I wanted by how i lifted the front end leaving the jump, Now owning my K5 im finding the dam thing never lifts when you want it to and always when you dont need it to, ive set the suspension up as good as its going to get and ride in pretty soft terrain. Ive determined that its not a suspension issue It just seems to be by design. Does anyone have a fix for this?

By the way im 5'9" and weigh 150 so the bike does not plant as well as it does for heavier riders but the 490 never seemed to mind.
 :(

mikesmith

Why wont it lift?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2003, 08:35:09 PM »
I never got to ride a yz490,but hear they hit hard and a kx doesnt have as much hit down low.But if you time it right, power to body english you can wheelie anything,even a bicycle.Try to pull up on the bars as you get on the gas,and you may need more time on the kx to get used to it,it sounds like your trying to ride it like your 490.And this is if your bikes running right,is your jetting correct or your clutch slipping?I dont have any problems getting the front tire up on my kx500 is why I ask,good luck.

91kx

Why wont it lift?
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2003, 01:37:34 AM »
I have the same trouble with mine. I can get the front end up in any gear but it seems really inconsistent. I think it's a combination of a slow revving motor and a lack of hit especially in the midrange.

Offline alan

• Administrator
Why wont it lift?
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2003, 04:12:46 AM »
I just sold my 87 YZ 490 and I had a 86 years ago, they were both very light in the front end. I had a desert tank on my 87 for a while and it did dramatically effect the front end lift.  My 01 KX5  was much less wheelie prone, When I changed to a front tire to a heaver tire I could fell the difference in weight and balance. When I added a reed spacer and a FMF gnarly pipe there was a dramatic difference. I ride only in soft sand and the front wheel will come off in almost any gear with stock gearing except 5Th.  I  am 6' and weigh 210lbs. I would have to agree that it is a mater of rider position and obviously gearing. The main difference  between the 490 & KX5 is the weight of the radiator up in front. So sit back and the front wheel will be in the air as often as you want! There is no way the 490 is as fast as the KX500!

Alan :D
Sand - Dirt - Dunes = Fun
       04- 700V - 01- KX500
        08 TeryX 2012 KX450F