Author Topic: Stator Cover Gasket ?  (Read 4130 times)

jigggawatt

Stator Cover Gasket ?
« on: April 17, 2007, 12:38:46 PM »
I'm looking for a thicker gasket for the stator cover. Anyone know who makes one that's not paper thin?

Offline maddoggy

• K5 @ ST. ANTHONY DUNES
Re: Stator Cover Gasket ?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2007, 02:48:58 PM »
most auto parts stores have various thicknesses of bulk gasket material. maybe you could just make yourself a thicker one? just my two bits. MADDOGGY

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2007, 04:48:07 PM »
I would suggest buying some bulk automotive cork gasket material and tracing one out using the cover as a template. Easy and cheap.  How thick do you need to go?  You can cut spacers out of almost anything. Cam.

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
  • KX500 is Danger4u2 Returning from light speed pic.
    • KXRiders.com
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2007, 12:44:53 AM »
use two or three gaskets.
KX 500 Rider

jigggawatt

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2007, 01:01:13 AM »
Thanks for the ideas. I just wanted to have a gasket that didn't fall apart when , I remove my flywheel weight.

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
  • KX500 is Danger4u2 Returning from light speed pic.
    • KXRiders.com
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2007, 01:20:32 AM »
When I installed my flywheel weight I could not get the cover off without tearing up the gasket.  I keep a complete gasket set on hand in my "parts department".  You reminded me with this post that I need to replace that cover gasket I used.
KX 500 Rider

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2007, 02:28:34 AM »
An old husquvarna factory secret was to grease the gaskets with white grease (you have to say "gasket glease" with a swedish accent to sound like my old race mentor.).  They never leaked and it made them reusable.  When I raced them I was always working on the tranny and the centercase gasket lasted the whole season.  Coating them with ethlyne glycol (straight anitfreeze) also works.  Those are old tricks!  Cam.

Offline ebers17

• RaceShotz Photography and WNY Harescramble Forum
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2007, 07:27:54 AM »
Cam, coating some the gaskets with anitfreeze will help them come off without them sticking???  What about the clutch cover gaskets or something though?
MSR, Steel MX Optics, FCR Suspension, MotoOption, Budget Racing, Bulmans Cycle Center, RaceShotz.net

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2007, 09:23:46 AM »
ebers,
 Afreeze works well on all gaskets - it soaks into the paper without weakening it.  White grease is actually better though.  I greased my clutch cover gasket. I think the theory behind the grease is that it keeps the gasket moist and prevents it from drying up. Cam.

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2007, 09:34:31 AM »
The grease will help keep the gaskets from sticking. Every time I pull the clutch cover that gasket tears becasue half of it is stuck to the engine case and some is stuck to the clutch cover. I use a very light film of multi purpose grease.
Open Class 2-Stroke Kawasaki KX500
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
Dirt Hammers - Online Off-Road Journal
hughes@dirthammers.com
http://www.dirthammers.com

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2007, 06:53:28 PM »
Ditto on gasket "accsessories",
  I got a 3'x3' sheet from napa  for about $6.00  [I can't find the link to making your own gaskets so I am still
working on my technic. :oops:]
 Keeping a factory gasket as a master I trace and cut on a soft wood. (pine etc)
 small curved scissors (usually found in the ladies makeup and nail stuff )
 and a sharp exacto knife (hobby razor knife)
 a paper single hole punch gets alot of the case bolt holes.
 There are specific tools made to punch larger holes that look like leather punches but I haven't got any-- yet.

I've been thinning permatex antisieze with a little ATF to get a consistancy like paint for about two years and it works great for me.  I "borrowed" a few of those small paint brushes from my daughters pencil box and went to work.  [The stuff is almost like a dogone sharpie if it gets anywhere you dont want it.]

Heck I've put it on electricle connections where I could and have not had any corosion, and its got lots of nickle in it (great conductor).
 I'm thinking of mixing it with grease (5-10% for those bugger swingarm bolts)
 Rant over...
Tuck \o/
"The Truth Has No Agenda"

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2007, 03:05:51 AM »
FT,
  Good explanation of gasket making!! That is exactly how I do it. I also have a leather punching plier I got at a 2nd had store for a buck.  It resembles a pair of pliers with a star wheel on the end. The wheel contains a number of different hole punch sizes.  Almost any size of tubing works as a hole punch too.  Kind of off topic but anti-seize and grease mixed 50/50 is pretty std to use on linkage bearings. Cam.

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2007, 04:21:44 AM »
  Apologies for thread drift... sidebar =)
Cam:
"..leather punching plier"  -- Now I know what to look for!
"Almost any size of tubing works as a hole punch too." ---   The beauty of simplicity-- wish I thought of that..
"50/50 is pretty std to use on linkage bearings"  ---   Will do next service.

Back to our regularly schedualed topic..

Gasket saving techniqe's
Tuck \o/
"The Truth Has No Agenda"

gil2264

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2007, 04:03:31 PM »
When I bought my XR650r, The mechanic said to use a 50/50 mix of Marine Grease and Moly paste for the swing arm bearings. Any idea how that would compare with Antiseize and grease?

Offline maddoggy

• K5 @ ST. ANTHONY DUNES
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2007, 04:42:51 PM »
moly is used as a very high pressure application lubricant. marine grease is specialy formulated to withstand water contact for long periods of time with zero lubricity or formula breakdown. not sure where you'd get your hands on pure moly to blend with. it would be very expensive if you do find it. I use very high end greases and use them liberally. you can wipe off a mess easier than replacing worn parts. hope that helps. MADDOGGY