Author Topic: 01' 5 hunny vibratin'son of a gun  (Read 6253 times)

Offline demographic

Re: 01' 5 hunny vibratin'son of a gun
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2007, 09:06:50 AM »
So if I choose to buy bars that help absorb big hits and also help reduce engine vibration it's a bullcrap solution?  Guess I better go get my crank balanced.  Funny thing about balancing a crank.  I can't put that crank in the 450 I buy in a year, but those bars will bolt right on.  I try to stretch things out because I don't have money burning a hole in my wallet.  I don't think any soultion that helps is bullcrap.

I wouldnt say that using the right bars wont help but its just symptomatic relief, not a cure.

Balancing the crank is attacking the problem at root cause, getting the right bars (although helping the matter a lot) is like taking cough mixture, it lessens the cough but you still have a cold.
Its worth doing but you still have an engine that vibrates a lot, your pegs do too and your crank bearings get hammered.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2007, 08:04:53 PM by demographic »

Offline c-152

Re: 01' 5 hunny vibratin'son of a gun
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2007, 02:17:39 PM »
you wanna talk vibration/ My yz-490 was the last bike that i usaed to ride. I still have it but but have upgraded to a 5 hunny. The vibtation of the is like comparing a Jaguar to a 3 ton truck. It took Quite a lot of work to get the vibration down to an acceptable level.
Mounting the bars solid to the tripple clamp and filling them with clear silicone helps a lot. Make sure thet the steering head bearings are adjusted and not worn. Just changing to a better handle bar makes a diff. Stock bars are garbage. All motor mounts and bolts tight.  Loose fuel tank is often over looked make sure that it is tight.  With above mentioned mods and all things in propper working order my bike is a dream machine,luxury big bore.All I have to do is hang on tight.

- Just an off shoot but I have put a lot of seat time on my fathers yz490 and never noticed the vibs - It is bone stock. I think everyone is different as to how much it bothers them

As I said before, if it is bad enough that parts are being damaged, then I would balance the crank.
?There are only three sports: mountain climbing, bull fighting, and motor racing. All the rest are merely games.?
? Ernest Hemingway

"I want to leave this world the same way I came into it: Screaming and covered in blood."