Author Topic: best drag pipe  (Read 6281 times)

Offline mlstoner660

best drag pipe
« on: April 06, 2007, 06:05:03 PM »
i was reading another post and saw the ftz pipe and was wondering if anyone had used one of these pipes? im looking for a good drag pipe for my 500. ive got the v force 2's, gnarly pipe with turbine core silencer,  and uni filter. this is what it had done when i bought it. im planning on sending it to  eric gorr to get it drag ported and polished since every one  on here says he is the best. im just wondering what would be a good pipe to go with to get the most power out of it. im going to be drag racing on pavement in the 1/8th mile or 660 feet samething. yes i know its insanely fast but i got beat by a banshee(if you could still call it that) and i cant have that. so now ive got to go spend a lil money and i want to make sure i get the best for my money. any help would be appreciated.
minor set backs bring major come backs

Offline demographic

Re: best drag pipe
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2007, 09:42:54 PM »
I trawled the internet for KX 500 photos a while ago and any that looked significantly different from standard I copied the picture of onto my computer.

Can't remember where this pic came from and I hope you can see it cos its of a sand drag KX500 with a bleedin huge expansion chamber on it, its as ugly as fook but no doubt does the job and if I squint just right at the full size version (that for some strange reason I am unable to post on this thread) I can see CPI racing stamped on it.

I don't have the foggiest notion who owns the bike so its not even worth asking me, sorry.

I looked on CPI Racings website and it says they make custom pipes for polaris and Ski Doo and so on, no mention of motorbikes but as they have alread made one for a KX500 it might be worth a phonecall?

Regards Scott.

Offline YUNGGUNNAZ

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2007, 01:06:45 AM »
jemco makes one.cpi does custom pipes and matt@ shearer pipes does custom pipes.for serious drag port check r.e.d website to see if he is taking anymore work.richard is one of the best in the country.but extremely busy.stewart on here(who better be in the dyno room this morning)may help you as well.i do the race guys in the area and ours but again extremely busy.check on" everything two stroke" site for eviltwin(flowtech)i understand he's good and fair price.hope this helps.

stewart

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2007, 07:50:29 AM »
stewart here , been dyno testing  all day today and half of  fri  found that jemco down pipe  made 2 more hp  than pro circut  pc2  up pipe with 304 silencer on 15 to 1  engine kx500  peak hp was at  7496 rpm  with  drag pipe  peak hp was 7128 with pc2 pipe  and silencer we gained 1 hp taking off silencer of the pc2 up pipe . tested reed blocks lost 21 hp on one  billet reed block type when compard to v force 2  in 3 pull per set back to back tests learned a lot of other things to  in about 40 other dyno tests
« Last Edit: April 07, 2007, 08:02:30 AM by stewart »

Offline demographic

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2007, 08:36:48 PM »
stewart here , been dyno testing  all day today and half of  fri  found that jemco down pipe  made 2 more hp  than pro circut  pc2  up pipe with 304 silencer on 15 to 1  engine kx500  peak hp was at  7496 rpm  with  drag pipe  peak hp was 7128 with pc2 pipe  and silencer we gained 1 hp taking off silencer of the pc2 up pipe . tested reed blocks lost 21 hp on one  billet reed block type when compard to v force 2  in 3 pull per set back to back tests learned a lot of other things to  in about 40 other dyno tests

You lost 21 horsepower with which billet reed block? :-o
Just so we know what to avoid.

Offline doordie

• Global Moderator
  • Do or Die.....
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2007, 11:23:01 PM »

You lost 21 horsepower with which billet reed block? :-o
Just so we know what to avoid.

He must mean 2.1 hp!  :roll:

And 15:1 in compression if I understand right? :wink:
(same as 7,8:1 in corrected compression....)
« Last Edit: April 07, 2007, 11:27:56 PM by doordie »
Iceroad champion 2006,still 2007,even 2008 without a single race!

Offline YUNGGUNNAZ

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2007, 01:18:07 AM »
i think the cage stewart's referring to is the mossbarger with spacer.same as a g3 cage thats out there.i hope he meant 2.1hp also.the pipe was a little beat up and i'm sure maybe 1 or 2 more with new pipe.i bet they had their fingers in their ears too.LOUDDD.

Offline mg82

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2007, 04:13:52 AM »
i spoke with him yesterday and he did mean 21 hp.

Offline MadKaw

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2007, 04:17:17 AM »
which block/spacer?
Deviate from the Norm!
Father!...The sleeper has Awaken!!!

2001 Harley Sportster xlh1200
'73 Suzuki GT550
'75 Suzuki GT550
'74 Kawasaki Z1 900
'79 Yamaha GT80
'93 KX500*******
'84 Yamaha Riva 180z scooter
08 Q-link Pegasus scooter first new rid

Offline demographic

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2007, 08:37:09 AM »
i spoke with him yesterday and he did mean 21 hp.

Kin hell, you don't lose that down the back of the sofa and not notice it do you?

stewart

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2007, 08:44:16 AM »
it  was the reed block yun gunnz called  a mossberg  i made three pulls with  v force 2 reeds at normal hp  then changed  reed blocks   to the mossberger 8 peedle assmbly   and lost 21   not 2.1  horse power  went bake to v force 2  and was right back  to norm  i have three people as wittness  if you would like there  number to ask  we were all shocked and talked about it all day they were sent to me to test   mabey  the reed tension is to tight  ????????????????

Offline YUNGGUNNAZ

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2007, 02:37:52 PM »
ha yes the importance of dyno time.that cage probably messed me up two races into last season before i changed to another reed cage and carb.with the use of a dyno i could of caught it instead of looking for other options like gearing,pipes,tires.not this year though.been on the dyno twice so far and hope to go again when i put it back for this season.as stewart said you learn a lot. 

Offline gowen

• Resident Newbie
  • Global Moderator
  • www.KXRiders.com
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2007, 12:50:50 AM »
This is all intresting... Stewert, anyway to test the peak HP with a Jemco and using a pvl ignition? I'm curious with a 7400+ peak hp? I've never seen a dyno with a pvl ignition/jemco combo.. just fmf desert and pvl..  Any thoughts on a rad valve.. I wish I had a dyno to have toyed around on, I did a few dyno pulls.. but never just played on one all day.. what a blast.