Author Topic: Compression release  (Read 4045 times)

Offline serafin

Compression release
« on: January 18, 2007, 04:39:55 AM »
Hi everyone

Has anyone purchased the compression release from Accu products off of e-bay?  If so how about some feedback on the product and any pictures if possible.  Also someone earlier was looking for replacement footpeg bracket.  I was checking out the Pro Circuit web site and they offer one but there was no picture available thought I would pass this along. 

Serafin

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
  • KX500 is Danger4u2 Returning from light speed pic.
    • KXRiders.com
Re: Compression release
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2007, 05:43:12 AM »
Use the search and it shall set you free...............
http://www.kxriders.com/forums/index.php/topic,1743.45.html
KX 500 Rider

Offline serafin

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2007, 09:44:35 AM »
Thanks Danger  I have read the previous posts but was looking for updated info on the product plus pictures if possible. 

serafin

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
    • KXRiders.com
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2007, 10:18:59 AM »
Sorry about that, I don't know when people are using the search feature.  The member that has the compression release has not posted in more than a year.  I have made an attempt to contact him and I am waiting for a reply.  As soon as I hear something I will let you know.  I hope we have not lost him as a member.  I too would like a compression release because of my right knee problem.  He complained of oily gook at the release on the back side of the cylinder.  He might have bad jetting or wrong oil mix.  When I was a kid all two strokes had 2 spark plug holes in the head.  Most guys would have a compression release in the second hole and use it as a brake.  This was back in the early 70's.  Does anyone remember them thar days? 
KX 500 Rider

Offline serafin

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2007, 10:50:45 AM »
No problem Danger just trying to get another point of view. My bike usually starts on the 2nd or 3rd kick but when your only 5'8 and you stall out in a bad area off camber ect... it could be a bear to start while trying to balance on one foot and give it a good whack with the other foot you know what I mean?  Yes I remember the 2 hole heads back in the day.  I seem to recall the that the open class Maico's (back in the good ol day's) had a compression release. 

Serafin 

jigggawatt

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2007, 11:19:52 AM »
There's a guy on ebay that sells the mod for the KX500. You hve to send him your cylinder. I would also check with Service honda. AJ said his new AF KX500 would have a comp. release.

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
    • KXRiders.com
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2007, 12:43:27 PM »
Yes, the E-Bay guy is the one we are talking about and I think AJ said the compression release would be offered as an option.
KX 500 Rider

jigggawatt

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2007, 12:03:03 AM »
Sorry should've read the whole post before replying

Offline quincyman

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2007, 09:07:09 AM »
I just got my cylinder back from Accu Products. I had them add the compression release valve to my cylinder. I did this for two reasons.

1. I have broken 3 kick levers when I use the thin head gaskets.

2. My right knee does not like kicking the bike over on those times when it does not want to start in the first three kicks.

I have used the thicker head gasket to smoothen the power delivery for woods riding and kick over easier. According to Rick at Accu Products it will kick over like a 125 and when I release the valve roar like a KX500.

Let you know how it turns out. I decided to go with this after reading a thread on here by a fellow who did it and loved it. I imagine any time you have a valve involved in a process like this your bound to have a little spooge escape when you are using the valve to kick over the bike. I doubt it spooges when the valve is closed. I will try to give a report after I install it and put it through a few grueling work outs.

Offline serafin

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2007, 03:36:03 PM »
Quincyman  is there any chance you could post some pictures of the valve?

Serafin

Offline quincyman

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2007, 03:49:29 PM »
Quincyman  is there any chance you could post some pictures of the valve?

Serafin

Sure, I will take some before I assemble everything. It's really a simple design not much to go wrong. I will post some pictures by Friday.

Offline demographic

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2007, 10:11:10 PM »
I seem to recall the that the open class Maico's (back in the good ol day's) had a compression release. 

Serafin 

My 94/95? 250 Maico had a compression release, no idea why cos it is a doddle to kick over, even with the kickstart on the wrong side.

Although I never did anything with it myself I gave it to a mate and he fixed it up quite a bit.
These pice where from when I had it.

eprovenzano

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2007, 04:26:34 AM »
I too back in the good ol days had a Yamaha with a compression release.  I used it as a brake. I was young and foolish, I never thought about using the compression release to help make it easier to start.   :-D