Author Topic: how does everyone else get their 500 started  (Read 4345 times)

robert40215

how does everyone else get their 500 started
« on: March 21, 2007, 01:47:02 PM »
I was just wanting to know how everyone else on here get their beast started.

Offline alan

• Administrator
Re: how does everyone else get their 500 started
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2007, 02:15:59 PM »
Robert, the answers are here on the site! Please read this post!

http://www.kxriders.com/forums/index.php/topic,2169.0.html

:-D :-D :-D
Sand - Dirt - Dunes = Fun
       04- 700V - 01- KX500
        08 TeryX 2012 KX450F

Offline kx666

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2007, 03:45:43 PM »
find TDC!!!  :-D
good luck! have fun!!!

Offline MadKaw

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2007, 04:56:20 PM »
I like the 1 about leaning the bike against a 2 story building, climbing to the roof , and jumping down...landing on the kicker... :-o :-o :-o :lol: :lol: :-P
Deviate from the Norm!
Father!...The sleeper has Awaken!!!

2001 Harley Sportster xlh1200
'73 Suzuki GT550
'75 Suzuki GT550
'74 Kawasaki Z1 900
'79 Yamaha GT80
'93 KX500*******
'84 Yamaha Riva 180z scooter
08 Q-link Pegasus scooter first new rid

Offline kx666

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2007, 05:12:59 PM »
becarful it doesnt kick you back (again be sure to kick at TDC)  :wink:

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2007, 05:15:52 PM »
Mines starts like a dream (as long as I use the rock method). Cam.

Offline c-152

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2007, 12:10:25 AM »
Cam or anyone else,  I know I have brought this up on another post, as this topic has been talked about a lot.  I assume by using the rock method, you mean that you put the bike in gear, rock it back and fourth and find TDC a give it the business.  I used to think the rock method was a bit like doing the rain dance however after I started doing it, I found it starts easier.  My question is why?  I know if a bike sits the oil settles but it can't make it that much of a difference can it?  I also thought it was the fact that I was waiting longer before my first kick and allowing the carb to fill up properly.  I am just curious; I don't like doing things without knowing why, even though it is insignificant.
?There are only three sports: mountain climbing, bull fighting, and motor racing. All the rest are merely games.?
? Ernest Hemingway

"I want to leave this world the same way I came into it: Screaming and covered in blood."

Offline apple

• Desertriding.com
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2007, 05:14:19 AM »
I`ve been riding open class bikes for almost 30 yrs and never heard of the rock method until I hit this site. I WISH I knew about this way back. I used to lay the bike down till gas poured out of the carb. Now the rock routine gets the bike started on the first kick cold. I rock it (2K KX500) 10 or 12 times with the choke on and it`s good to go.

Jack
2000 KX500

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2007, 05:53:23 AM »
What I understand is that each rock pulls in a small bit of enrichened mixture from the carb, sort of "supercharging" the mixture in the cylinder.  I never worry about TDC, I just kick.  I almost always get a 1 or 2 kick start cold.  I am a bit of a savage when it comes to outshining the guys on new estart bikes, so I have a tendency to rock it when no one notices, leave it, then hop on, kick and start before the e-starts guys finger have made it to the button (yeah childish I know!). But it does turn some heads since everyones assumption is that a 500 is a bear to start. Cam.

Offline FuriouSly

• the "Base Camp"
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2007, 06:12:14 AM »
I am just curious; I don't like doing things without knowing why, even though it is insignificant...c-152

Well, in my understanding of the rock method...  you are basically causing a priming action to the motor.  Kinda like the primer button on a lawnmower or weedwacker.  Rocking causes the fuel to be sucked up and preloaded into the carb, reeds, and down the transfer ports ready for a "loaded charge" explosion of the first full kick/spark.  Having the choke on will also add more fuel to the charge.

Let's say its cold out (50f) and you are out ready for the first ride of the day.  Turn fuel on,  choke on,  and then just kick away without a routine...  well,  you can go from a no fuel start to flooded pretty quick.

Arigato, 1AllDave, and my brother all taught me the same method for starting any 500 2S.  We don't do the rock method mostly because we ride 100% sand dunes on the 5hundies.  Too hard to rock and get momentum for the vacuum needed to move the fuel.  So we do it a different way.

Basically,  cold start choke on.  Take the kickstarter and just easily run it down 3-5 times.  This will naturally bring the piston to just before TDC.  Very similiar action to the rock method.  Then let the kickerstarter come to the top and very slowly push it down past TDC one click (you will feel the piston reach TDC with full compression resistance and then pass TDC).  Do this very slowly,  the kickstarter will only come down about 3 inches from the top usually for this one click.  Then let the kicker come back to the top and prepare for a full kick.  This setup basically primes the pump.  It wets the carb,  reeds,  and transfer ports with fuel.  The piston is now barely past TDC and ready to easily be kicked fast without any kick back on your foot.  It will speedily go down and up for the fire stroke.  Works 100% of the time on any 500cc 2S mild to wild.  If the bike is already warm,  same method,  just no choke.

I know I have explained it before,  but this seems a little more clear.

Sly

***  Hey Cam,  I was writing my post and you snuck in and posted.  Too funny,  but glad we are on the same "theory".  ***
« Last Edit: March 22, 2007, 06:19:43 AM by FuriouSly »

Offline BigGreenMachine

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2007, 06:32:39 AM »
Good read.

Offline c-152

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2007, 06:56:02 AM »
Thanks guys, since using the techniques from the boards, I have been usually sitting waiting on other guys to get their bikes going.  It seems to me that the comperesion strokes and rocking do about the same thing, good thing I have done both.  I have turned into a 1-2 kick guy because of the starting advice from the forum
?There are only three sports: mountain climbing, bull fighting, and motor racing. All the rest are merely games.?
? Ernest Hemingway

"I want to leave this world the same way I came into it: Screaming and covered in blood."

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2007, 06:21:20 PM »
 I must confess,  :oops:
I have tried every hokey pokey turn yourself around spin three times and Roy rogers on the back and jump on the kickstarter...Oy-Va....
 I have to go with Gowen & co. Once that thing is tuned anywhere close a few "sissy" or primer kicks, that one inch past TDC let the kicker back up to top and give her a good whack.  (cold, choke. warm no-choke)
  It works so well I disconnected the comp. rel. on my XR628 (I know Mercy! Mercy!) and tried it
and has worked on every other bike I could try it on.
 Caution !! 
Once your buddies figure this out the old
   "If You can start it, you can ride it"   is not to be touted lightly!
 The other 500 site I reside at a fellow has a short vid of the routine and it cleared things up quite nicely.
I however am video/computor illiterate, and don't want to pirate his vid.
Tuck \o/

"The Truth Has No Agenda"

Offline Polar-Bus

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2007, 04:23:48 AM »
I like the 1 about leaning the bike against a 2 story building, climbing to the roof , and jumping down...landing on the kicker... :-o :-o :-o :lol: :lol: :-P

Thank you.

I always feel like "Zorro" when he was up on a roof, and summoning his valiant black horse, ready to jump on it's back!

I simply call "here lime green horsie......"  :)
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1
'03 CRG KX500 Shifter kart

Offline alan

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2007, 04:53:23 AM »
I moved the other post on this topic up to a sticky status since we already beat it to death! :-D :-D
Sand - Dirt - Dunes = Fun
       04- 700V - 01- KX500
        08 TeryX 2012 KX450F