Author Topic: FMF Desert Pipe  (Read 1772 times)

Offline apple

• Desertriding.com
FMF Desert Pipe
« on: March 19, 2007, 12:44:37 PM »
Has anyone used the FMF Desert pipe? I ride all desert and feel the need for more up on the top end. Got a Gnarly now, plus a reed spacer, seems the top lost a bit since putting on the spacer so I`m looking to get the top end back.
Curious to see how much of a change the dez pipe makes.

Thanks.

Jack
2000 KX500

Offline mg82

Re: FMF Desert Pipe
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2007, 12:49:46 PM »
thats not good to hear that you lost top end with the spacer. i was under the impression that you wouldn't. too bad i just ordered one.

Offline alan

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2007, 12:53:56 PM »
With the increase in bottom end torque you could maybe drop a couple of teeth on the rear sprocket.
Sand - Dirt - Dunes = Fun
       04- 700V - 01- KX500
        08 TeryX 2012 KX450F

Offline FuriouSly

• the "Base Camp"
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2007, 06:05:14 PM »
You have a FMF Gnarly standard?  The desert does have more top end for desert racing or dunes.  Reed spacer is for woods,  more bottom-mid control,  less top end.  Sounds also like you might be lean or fat,  keeping the top end from you.

Also look at the air flow,  your air filter situation.  Stay with a good foam filter like TwinAir.  Keep clean and maybe without a filterskin if you use one.

Another reason for losing top end on WOT throttle is carb float height.  You might be starving for fuel which will steal power,  run lean,  and make you chase jetting.  Have a fuel filter?  Plugged up or too small maybe.

You have good compression?  Your stead might be a bit old on the rings which will show up on top and out of the hole.

Couple topics from search:

http://www.kxriders.com/forums/index.php/topic,1154.0.html

http://www.kxriders.com/forums/index.php/topic,2743.0.html

Sly
« Last Edit: March 19, 2007, 06:08:06 PM by FuriouSly »

Offline apple

• Desertriding.com
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2007, 09:07:49 AM »
Hmmm, I will check these things out, the float height thing really got my attention, I`ve been 'chasing' the jetting ever since I`ve had this bike. Seems like every change of weather I have to look at it. Compression is good, new piston kit a few months ago. I`ll post what I find out. This bike has to run great for this weekend, since there`s a National at Superstition here in So Cal. No, not riding in it, but all and I mean all of my riding buddies are going out there, Saturday will be one kick a$$ riding day.

Thanks for the help.

Jack
2000 KX500