Author Topic: how to keep bike from flooding  (Read 4564 times)

robert40215

how to keep bike from flooding
« on: March 19, 2007, 03:02:25 AM »
I have gotten my 1986 kx500 to start. But this sunday after it sit for a day it will not start since it keep flooding and leaking out of the overflow hose again. Do I need to adjust the floats again? And I am using ngk b8eg plugs. Is there a better plug for this bike? I had to much oil mixture in the gas but I mixed up some more and to see if it would run better. But it wouldn't start it would try to start so I think since it was flooded it would not run. Is there a different way to keep from flooding.

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
Re: how to keep bike from flooding
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2007, 03:12:15 AM »
If the float has been adjusted corretly then you just might have a worn needle or seat. If the bike is sitting up right on a stand or side stand fuel should not over flow out the vent lines.
Open Class 2-Stroke Kawasaki KX500
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
Dirt Hammers - Online Off-Road Journal
hughes@dirthammers.com
http://www.dirthammers.com

Offline alan

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2007, 05:39:49 AM »
Robert, there are 19 pages of posts related to jetting and carb adjustments in the KX500 maintenance section, called Jetting again & again. You need to read that information over and also I strongly suggest you to purchase a book on your bike. The carb is one thing you must get absolutely right or you will have all kinds of problems! :-) :-)
Sand - Dirt - Dunes = Fun
       04- 700V - 01- KX500
        08 TeryX 2012 KX450F

robert40215

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2007, 06:39:25 AM »
I have a clymer manual. And have done what it says to do. I can adjust the tang and for a couple of days it doesn't overflow. Then later it starts overflowing gas. So I am just getting a fuel valve needle and see what it does then. And I have some guy at a repair shop going to look at what could be wrong with the bike since it ran one day and next day it won't run.

Offline alan

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2007, 07:14:15 AM »
Ok, Good I am glad you have a book!

If it is simply running to rich you need to you may need to rejet it. Things like simply changing oil mixtures also change your mixture, like say the bike has been using 32:1 mixture and you decide to change to a new Synthetic oil and go to 80:1 you will have more gas and less oil and the bike will run much richer with the same jetting.

If it is still running out of the carb you need to replace the needle and seat.

Alan :-D

04- 700V - 01- KX500
        08 TeryX 2012 KX450F

robert40215

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2007, 12:15:00 PM »
I will try to carb rejetting this week and then see how it does. Is there a spark plug that I can buy that is better than ngk b8eg.

Offline alan

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2007, 12:40:27 PM »
I use platinum or iridium plugs, they are expensive, but I don,t like pushing a dirt bike in the desert at 100 Plus!

The single best thing that stoped me fouling plugs, was Reed Spacer! :-D :-D :-D
       04- 700V - 01- KX500
        08 TeryX 2012 KX450F

robert40215

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2007, 12:47:33 PM »
What does the reed spacer do and where do I buy one?

Offline alan

• Administrator
       04- 700V - 01- KX500
        08 TeryX 2012 KX450F

Offline FuriouSly

• the "Base Camp"
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2007, 05:48:43 PM »
Here is a link about plugs and fouling.

http://www.kxriders.com/forums/index.php/topic,1462.0.html

BR8E(G)(medium duty-fine wire nickle) or BR8E(V)(race duty-fine wire gold platinum),  instead of an BR9E(S)(standard duty-copper core).  The lower number is hotter and larger number is cooler.  Dunes 9, track 8, woods 7, so to speak.  R=resistor-newer gen for less radio frequency interference.

Dang Alan
I use platinum or iridium plugs, they are expensive, but I don,t like pushing a dirt bike in the desert at 100 Plus!
Plat Irids are what I need to get up over 100 MPH in the DUNES   :evil: :evil: hehehe

Sly
« Last Edit: March 19, 2007, 06:11:38 PM by FuriouSly »

robert40215

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2007, 11:57:21 PM »
I was using ngk b9eg spark plugs for my 1986 kx 500. So I ordered NGK BR8EIX Iridium spark plugs so I want to know if these new spark plugs work better.

Offline alan

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2007, 02:12:22 AM »
Generally speaking the lower the number the hotter the plug. So assuming the carb was jetted properly and the plug was black with carbon and oil you could go to a hotter plug to avoid fowling out.
       04- 700V - 01- KX500
        08 TeryX 2012 KX450F

Offline alan

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2007, 02:30:15 AM »
One other thing I forgot to ask, did you just get this bike? What altitude are you at and where did the bike come from?
       04- 700V - 01- KX500
        08 TeryX 2012 KX450F

Offline BigGreenMachine

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2007, 02:42:50 AM »
Sounds like the float/needle and seat are worn and letting fuel by.

Also, if your bike is fouling plugs and the jetting is stock chances are there is a bigger underlying problem like bad crank seals letting excess oil in the chamber, low compression due to worn rings/wall, etc..

A hotter plug may fix your fouling plugs issue but sooner or later the underlying problem will come to the surface in a big way.

robert40215

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2007, 10:56:18 AM »
I got the bike from a friend it was just sitting in the backyard for a year or two. I am in Kentucky it come from the same state. I know the bike runs since it worked the other day. I am going to try some higher grade of fuel after I receive the spark plugs I ordered. I had to much oil in the gas since it was smoking pretty bad when it was running. When I get it started I am going to let it run longer to heat the engine up before I turn it off. Oh I got the bike for nothing so any parts I put into it is fine with me since I didn't pay for the bike. A guy at a bike shop said he would look at the bike for like $60.00 an hour. But since it started up the other day I think there is nothing electrical wrong with it. It is just getting it to fire up everytime I kick it without hurting my foot. But If I put the choke down instead of up it will want to start but it would backfire a couple of times then start.